Transfer from Minnesota

<p>Hi,
I'm currently a freshman at the Carlson School of Management at University of Minnesota - Twin Cities. I didn't get in to Madison out of high school, but I was offered a place in the connections program. I turned that down, thinking it would be better to go to a decent business school (Minnesota) for 4 years. Now, I want to transfer to Madison in any way possible.</p>

<p>What kinds of classes would you recommend taking next year?</p>

<p>If I transfer to Eau Claire for spring, then apply to Madison for next fall, would it look worse than if I stay in Minnesota for a full year, then apply to Madison?</p>

<p>I could also go to MATC this spring, then apply to Madison, but I assume it would look like I couldn't handle Carlson if I did that.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Sorry i hope you dont mind me asking but why do you want to leave Minnesota so bad? I was thinking of doing the same thing if denied by Madison.</p>

<p>It’s not that I want to leave Minnesota, it’s just that I want to be at Madison.
I grew up in Madison and was planning on going there my whole life, but thought it would be better to go somewhere else for a full 4 years instead of transferring. Now I realize I still want to go to Madison.</p>

<p>If you feel the need to transfer for the next fall term at Madison, I would apply for transfer right now if you haven’t done so. I recommended taking rigorous courses next semester, to show you are capable of handling their work load. I don’t think you can transfer to another uw system school as a freshman. Also, when applying, make sure your essay is top notch. cant stress that enough; it can determine if you get in or not.</p>

<p>I’m also transferring to UW Madison next year as a sophomore, good luck!</p>

<p>You can’t transfer to UW-Madison until you complete 24 credit hours: UW-Madison does not accept freshmen level transfers. However, I’m not sure how AP credits would factor into this. You should call Admissions and find out: Admissions: 716 Langdon Street, Madison, WI 53706–1481 | Phone: 608–262–3961</p>

<p>WHO IS A TRANSFER STUDENT?</p>

<p>A transfer student is anyone who has attended another college or university after graduating from high school and wishes to enroll in an undergraduate degree program at UW–Madison. In order to be eligible for transfer admission, you must have completed at least 24 semester hours of college–level work. (We do not admit freshman–level transfer students.)</p>

<p>I just checked UW-Eau Claire’s website - they also do not accept transfers unless a freshmen load of credits have been completed.</p>

<p>[Transfer</a> student requirements and process, Admissions, UW- Eau Claire](<a href=“http://www.uwec.edu/Admissions/transferreq.htm#CP_JUMP_117731]Transfer”>http://www.uwec.edu/Admissions/transferreq.htm#CP_JUMP_117731)</p>

<p>It looks like you may need to stay at Carlson and complete your entire freshmen year. Then apply NO LATER than February 1st, 2011 to UW Madison as a transfer for Fall 2011.</p>

<p>You should have 24 credits by the end of your freshman year- at 12 credits per semester. Don’t bother transferring to an interim school, go from MN to UW-Madison. You would be better off staying at U of M 2 years instead of doing one year at two different schools in all ways- no reason to adjust to a third school. And yes, you should stay at MN instead of going to MATC for the course rigor and peer group.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the advice! I’ve been talking to a Madison counselor too, and it seems that my best option is to finish off a year or two at Minnesota.</p>

<p>At Minnesota, you start the business program as a freshman. At Madison you start as a sophomore or junior. Because of this, I’m not sure what classes to take for Spring. If I was planning on staying at Minnesota for 4 years, my classes would be:</p>

<p>Business Statistics
Intro to Financial Accounting
Information Systems - Could be replaced by liberal education
Human Resources - Could be replaced by liberal education</p>

<p>If I want to transfer to Madison, I think they might prefer it if I took liberal education classes, rather than just business.
The reason I would take all business classes is because I could fulfill all of my liberal education requirements for Minnesota during a semester abroad.</p>

<p>So, would it be better to stick with my Minnesota business plan, or to take one or two rigorous liberal education classes?</p>