Transfer Issues/Late Housing

<p>Hey all, I'm transferring from a CC to UW Madison (or at least entertaining the thought) I was accepted late and thus am only offered private housing. The problem is twofold. One, I don't want to be labeled or limited socially because of the hall I reside in. I realize prejudice will exist so long as humans still walk the earth, but I want to minimize it. I will be coming from Arizona, which has ASU. I purposely am looking out of state because ASU is essentially a school full of fake "coasties" to use the proper UW vernacular. </p>

<p>I'm a junior with an associates degree. Business major. Unfortunately, Lucky 101 is right next to Grainger hall which has a lot of the finance classes I need. It would be convenient. But I'm reading mixed things about the hall. The main issue I have is making friends, as I will be OOS and know absolutely no one. I'd only be living in the halls for one year to meet friends, so the cost is minimized. I do not come from money but I have worked full time to save up, and have grants as well as a few scholarships which help bring the costs down. </p>

<p>Is Regent 101 anymore viable for an OOS student? I realize the location is perhaps not as prime, but does it still carry the same stigma as Lucky? Easier to meet people?</p>

<p>I feel I am cheating myself a little out of the real college experience by not getting into a dorm, but the circumstances simply don't allow for it. I'm wait listed, but I'm sure there are far too many people ahead of me for a chance to get in. </p>

<p>Also, the private halls require confirmation by the end of May (or at least the sheet that was sent to me indicated it) yet I still don't have my transfer credit report. How/Why does the university expect students to sign binding agreements before they have all that's required for a sound decision in front of them? I can't commit to UW until I know how the next few years will go academically. I realize SOAR serves this purpose but again it comes so late in the admissions process (late july) that you might as well be all in for UW already. While I have decided the cost of 2 years of UW OOS tuition are acceptable, a lack of credit given or transferred might dictate an extra semester or two, thus adding on even more costs. College is not cheap, especially OOS tuition, but at some point it just swings too far out to accept over instate. For me, not coming from unlimited money, it is critical to deciding where I attend. </p>

<p>I contacted the transfer advisers on this very issue and am waiting to hear back. I am somewhat disappointed in UW seeing as how other colleges (even other Big 10 schools) were very prompt in addressing transfer credit.</p>

<p>Anyone else in a similar bind or having problems with housing please post up!</p>