Transferring to Hampshire?

<p>As of now, I'm at a community college, due to financial reasons. I'd like to finish my associate's before transferring, so I'll have two years under my belt if I apply as a transfer student next year. Is transferring to Hampshire difficult because of the way their curriculum is set up? How is financial aid for transfers? And how do transfers fit in to the Hampshire community, and the 5 Colleges in general?</p>

<p>I’ve met friends of my kids who have transferred into Hampshire, although most of those students transferred in as 2nd-year students. It is relatively easy to transfer in after the first year, because the first year Division I requirements are similar to the general education requirements for degrees at other colleges. It gets a little tougher after the second year, because most Hampshire 2nd- and 3rd-year students are working on their Division II requirements, which were determined in consultation with a group of advisers. If you transfer in with an Associate’s degree, you will have to meet with a faculty advising committee, who will determine how many of your courses will count toward satisfying the requirements for your Div II concentration. You will probably not be able to figure that out entirely before you arrive. </p>

<p>One thing to do would be to identify one of your potential advisers by reviewing the names of professors who work in the disciplines that fit into your desired concentration. Email that professor with a list of the courses you have taken, and ask how this might fit into a plan for a Div II concentration. Hopefully the professor will respond, but they are pretty busy dealing with their own advisees, so it may or may not work.</p>

<p>Have you looked at the transfer page on the Hampshire Web site? <a href=“http://www.hampshire.edu/admissions/11883.htm[/url]”>http://www.hampshire.edu/admissions/11883.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I think that financial aid is no different than for new students. You fill out a FAFSA that indicates how much you can afford, and Hamsphire offers an aid package based on that amount. I don’t know if there is any difference with regard to merit-based aid.</p>

<p>There are specific dorm hallways that are available for transfer students, so you won’t necessarily feel like the ‘new kid’.</p>