Transferring to UW-Madison 2021

I want to transfer to UW-Madison for the Spring term of 2021. I am currently finishing up my freshman year at another UW school. I live in Wisconsin. I am a Marketing major.

My stats:
High School:
GPA- unweighted - 3.2( Sophomore year brought gpa down a ton because I transferred schools but only improved since then)
Weighted- 4.5
ACT- 22
4 year soccer player(state qualifier, other awards won)
Was in FBLA for 2 years
Graduated a semester early and enrolled at my current school full time
1st semester of senior year I was in the Early College Credit Program and took 2 classes at a local college
Took many honors classes, 2 AP classes and some dual enrollment classes
Volunteered for 150 hours
Worked during all years of high school

College:
GPA- 3.6
Taken 27 credits and plan on taking 16 next fall
Worked on campus and played intramural sports
Worked off campus
I plan on receiving 2 letters of recommendation from my professors, one from my high school guidance counselor, 1 from my soccer coach/teacher, and 1 from my middle schooler teacher who I also volunteered for during my high school and college years.

Do I have a chance of being accepted with these stats?

I was accepted to UW-Madison this year as pre-business for fall and I had similar stats to yours. I went to an Illinois community college and had a 3.7 GPA with about 55 credits completed (13 are from Iowa state, my first sem at college with a 2.9 GPA from there). The extracurriculars I had were Phi Theta Kapp (Honors Society at Comm colleges) my part-time job, tennis club, volleyball club, and a volunteering program in high school. I had two letters of recs from professors and one from a manager at work. Keep in mind, you’re only allowed to send 4 requests for recommendation letters so narrow down your choices to 4. I think the thing that really did it for me was my essays. I also completed a good amount of business courses before transferring so that might have helped me too. So based on your stats, I feel like you have a good chance of getting accepted. Lmk if you have more questions or want some info on my high school stats too.

1 Like

Thought I’d try too. I’m finishing up freshman year at a private school in Minnesota where I am from. I’m currently a double major in Biochemistry and Spanish.

My stats:
High School:
GPA- unweighted - 2.9 (something really bad happened my junior year which made my grades drop but I explain this in an essay)
Weighted- 3.2
ACT- 29
2 years of varsity soccer with awards
3 years of varsity lacrosse with awards
Youth in Government for 4 years with high leadership positions for 3 years
Took many honors classes, 3 AP classes and lots of classes through the University of Minnesota
Volunteered for MN Special Olympics and did a speech at the MN Autism Conference getting an award from my school board
Worked during all years of high school

College:
GPA- 3.2 (this will be going up next semester)
Took 16 credits in the fall and 19 in the spring
Worked off-campus for the whole year
Playing varsity soccer for my University
Involved in club lacrosse, Biology club, Chemistry club, the “Buddies” program, and pre-med club.
I plan on receiving 2 letters of recommendation from my professors, one of them being the head of the Biology department, my high school soccer coach, and a high school teacher for one of my CIS college courses.

I know my GPA is pretty low, but I’m not applying to the business school and I’m super involved. I also had some Madison alum and current students look over my essays and they think they are pretty strong essays. I explain my low hs GPA in an essay which I feel will help cover me for that. I know the odds are slim so if anyone has more advice besides raising my college GPA please let me know lol.

So what do you think my odds are?

that would be great! I submitted my application and I gave 2 letters of Rec from my current professors. My current college GPA is a 3.72 now, and I am taking 12 credits currently just because of Covid and everything being online. In all my classes I currently have high A’s. I will have 37 credits at the end of the fall term.

Hey all! Another transfer applicant here. I am just curious if you guys thing the COVID situation will impact the release date for acceptance notifications? I have been seeing on prior posts that the release date is generally around the 23rd of November, so I’m starting to get antsy haha

1 Like

same haha hopefully it won’t be delayed! I’m sure we will get our decision before December 1st but fingers crossed

1 Like

Got my acceptance notification last night! Good luck to all of the others who applied! :smile:

1 Like