Transportation to Beaches????

<p>How is the public transportation to the local beaches?</p>

<p>How Far? Cheap?</p>

<p>I wont be able to take a car to campus, but definitely want to be able to get to the beach once and a while.</p>

<p>It takes an hour to get to Miami Beach via public transportation and it costs $2.00 each way. You take the metro and then connect to a bus. We did it just about every weekend my freshman year.</p>

<p>It’s way more convenient when you have a car, of course. Chances are you’ll meet someone with a car who you can hook up and head to the beach with, anyway.</p>

<p>UM also provides a (monthly, I think) shuttle to Key Biscayne.</p>

<p>What’s the closest beach that students go to? And are there ever like beach parties?</p>

<p>Key Biscayne haha… I was doing a crossword puzzle a while back, i had key, but i couldn’t think of Biscayne… Nixon lived there.</p>

<p>haha sorry for the irrelevant comment, but I just wanted to say that I love this question! =)</p>

<p>The closest beach is Key Biscayne, I believe… As far as beach parties are concerned, I’m sure it has been done before though I’m unable to comment on the frequency of such events (due to lack of knowledge). </p>

<p>And sorry for the weird phrasing of this post, I’ve been reading a lot of philosophy papers over the past week or so.</p>

<p>Do kids hang at the campus pool too?</p>

<p>Yes, the pool is a very popular place to hang out when the weather is beautiful, which is a lot of the time.</p>

<p>Could someone post the public transportation route from UM to South Beach and/or Biscayne Beach? Taxis to SoBe are pretty expensive.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>When I didn’t have a car, I’d take the metro to the Government Center, then take Bus #120 to Miami Beach. The total trip takes about an hour. The only route I ever took to Key Biscayne got you pretty close, but then you had to walk for around half an hour to the beach. There are actually shuttles which leave campus and go directly there. I’m not sure what their schedule is, though… maybe call parking?</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure the shuttles to Key Biscayne run the first Saturday of every month in the spring and in the fall, they make it work around the football schedule (as in, they don’t do the shuttle on a gameday, for obvious reasons). Kay Biscayne is more of a chill, park-like beach, whereas South Beach is more crowded, loud, and is right off the street near tons of shops and restaurants. Both are nice and I went to both while I was in school, it really just depends what you’re in the mood for. South Beach is maybe 5-10 minutes farther by car than Key Biscayne.</p>