Tufts University Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

This year, the Early Decision (ED) deadline for the Tufts University is November 1.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

Chance me for Tufts ED Fall 2023:

-Looking for Bio/Pre-med Field
-1520 SAT
-4.38 GPA (Weighted), school does not report unweighted
-9 AP/Honors so far
-Community service, volunteering multiple ECs there
-Research experience both at school and outside school (got State Fair awards)
-Four years Musicals/Drama

1 Like

You have an impressive record - Iā€™d say your chances are pretty high!

1 Like

Tufts has two rounds of Early Decision: ED I November 1 and ED II January 4.

1 Like

Make sure you develop your ā€˜spikeā€™. Tufts states that it likes to see applicants with passions (I.e. well rounded matters less). Perhaps itā€™s in your field of research. As far as chances, your stats are comparable to other unhooked applicants we saw come though last year. Really hard to know given how difficult the process has become but if you love it, shoot your shot and let them know you love it- especially as ED1.

1 Like

Applying ED 1, after 3 visits/talks with current students - super excited and hopeful!

Full Pay, Unhooked, majority female from NJ

GPA: U - 3.97 W - 5.15
Rigor: Highest, IB Diploma candidate, 4 years of 5 core subjects + IB Studio Art
SAT: 1520 (E: 740, M: 780)
ECs: Intern, Social Media Start up, Digital Wellness
Freelance Artist, Work featured on App Store, etc., Scholastic Art Award
4 years, JV/V doubles tennis
Peer leader, Church Youth Group
Volunteer work and Paid employment (pet sitter, dog walker)

Areas of Interests: Film & Media Studies, Child Studies and Human Development or Civic Studies, Studio Art

3 Likes

Very good chance

ED only have two results: accepted or rejected, right? There is no deferred or waitlist, right?

Wow, good data

No, they can defer you to RD. This is more common than a rejection in the ED round.

Thank you for that information! Any idea the percentage of deferrals in round 1? I researched and couldnā€™t find any data. I kind of feel like if you are willing to ED to a school, they should also give you a yes or no. Deferrals seem unfair and can effectively take away an applicantā€™s desire to ED2 (if the applicant remains hopeful).

1 Like

No idea. But fwiw, there are very few school that are really decisive in the ED round. (Stanford is one of the few that defers very few.) The vast majority of ED decisions from most schools will be acceptances and deferrals. And yes, it does create a predicament as to whether to ED2 elsewhere.

I have known kids who were accepted after a deferral, rejected after a deferral, and WL after a deferral.

I suggest you go back to threads from previous years - it will give you some context.

1 Like

This thread has been quiet. Has anyone else applied ED1?

I know Tufts hasnā€™t published any ED data in recent years, but wondering if anyone happens to know how many ED applications Tufts received this fall?

4 Likes

My D also applied ED1. Long shot but she wants to try. She already has one safety acceptance, so now itā€™s time to go for some of the reaches.

Full Pay, Unhooked, from FL

GPA: U - 4.0 W - 4.55
Rigor: All core subjects honors/AP. Will complete 14 APs by graduation. All AP scores 5 with the exception of two 4ā€™s in Bio and Calc AB.
ACT: 33. Very spiky with English/Reading being very high and math a struggle. She did submit scores (hope the AP scores help a little here).
ECs: Average Excellent. Several Gold Scholastic Art Awards; Founder/President of LGBTQ+ Ally club at HS; President of 4 other clubs in HS (athletic, art and honors); very involved in theatre; art work has been featured in national academic publications and 1 published book; won category at State National History Day and advanced to Nationals; used to play club soccer at elite level (went to Nationals) but decided she had enough her Junior year; approx 200 volunteer hours at various places

She did submit a portfolio of artwork but is not applying as an art major or the BFA + BA/BS degree.

She knows this is a toss up and she does have an ED2 school that was very close in ranking. She also has several other schools that are in her target/safety range that she has the applications completed for so if she needs to, she is ready to submit in mid December.

Itā€™s a long wait.

3 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m new to this but would love some advice. I applied ED I to Tufts and am definitely nervous to hear if I got in.
If someone could read my stats and tell me if they think Iā€™ve got a chance I would rly appreciate it

• intended major is child study and human development!
  • 4.0 gpa uw, 4.88 w
  • 8 apā€™s (4ā€™s and 5ā€™s on the exams Iā€™ve taken so far), 14 honors classes
  • 4+ years of choir, 4+ years of band. section leader in band and president of choir + other leadership for both
  • member of NHS
    -research program for psychology
  • camp counselor for 3 years (wrote in supplementals about how working here made me want to go into child development)
  • letter of rec 1 from ap bio teacher, had a good convo with her so hopefully a strong letter
  • letter of rec 2 from choir teacher, should be very strong!
  • alumni interview that went really well (i hope)
  • applied test optional

You sound competitive! Keep in mind that with a 9% acceptance rate, Tufts is looking for something that stands out and meets their institutional priorities. Being an underrepresented minority, including from a state outside of their typical footprint, helps a lot. Also, Tufts is need-aware. Good that you applied ED, as they value demonstrated interest and fit. The essays are important, especially the ā€œWhy Tuftsā€ ā€¦ Good luck to you.

1 Like

The wait to hear from Tufts is killing meā€¦

6 Likes

Is it possible next week?

1 Like

Anything is possible, but Tufts hasnā€™t released ED1 results before Dec. 14th in the past 5+ years.

3 Likes