Tulane Early Decision for Fall 2022 Admission

My son is not a drinker/partier and he has very much enjoyed Tulane and New Orleans. He is currently in his 4th year of a 5 year Architecture program. He marches to the beat of his own drummer, and is not into the fraternity or bar scene, but has seemed very happy there, goes to the football and basketball games, etc. I think there are all types of students/personalities at Tulane.

7 Likes

Our D in her fourth year, not into Greek or heavy partying, has thrived. There is so much to do and explore in and around in the city and she takes advantage of that as opposed to the standard college party. She has a tight-knit group of high-achieving, very involved friends and they balance work and life very well.

7 Likes

well, this was depressing to read. Manifesting a positive result.

7 Likes

Schools are just protecting yield. The numbers show it, and now with Covid, even more so. I get it, they only want people who want them. But for students, and parents, Covid has made it harder to be sureā€¦the game has simply gotten harder. Almost makes me just want to tell me child to just commit to his safety and move on.

5 Likes

To Quote Further: Tulane anticipates marginally more offers of admission for deferred students and Regular Decision applicants than in the past. The overall admission rate for Early Action applicants is just ten percent, which is half the EA admission rate in 2017.

These are definitely IVY Leauge Acceptance numbers! WOW!!

1 Like

Itā€™s just all so stressful.

3 Likes

Thank you for posting. Our expectations for Monday are now set incredibly low. Frustrating and disappointing for so many hard working qualified kids.

8 Likes

Yup. I think the bottom line is that great students 10 years ago could pick where they wanted to go, now they will get into a great school but not always their top choice. I appreciate Tulaneā€™s transparency. They have made it very clear that ED is your best chance, EA not great, and RD is basically a waste of time.

2 Likes

If you really really want Tulane and you are deferred EA, they give you the opportunity to switch to ED2. I know ED/ED2 has its disadvantages but I hear Tulane always meets oneā€™s aid needs ā€¦ so perhaps ED2 could be a viable optionā€¦ Hang in there.

1 Like

My parents wonā€™t allow ED! I wonā€™t get any financial aid at all but my parents insist that I weigh all my options and compare merit soooo EA is my only chance. Tulane is my number one and I hope I did a good enough job showing that to admissions.

5 Likes

Sorry. I know it is so disheartening to read. Maybe I shouldnā€™t have posted it

Hang in thereā€¦take a deep breath. Try to believe in the process. I know I am just an old person, but it will be ok!!! (And Iā€™m glad you posted it)

1 Like

That might work unless they have been deferred from their safety because of yield protection.

Lots of discouraging things in that blog post.

5 Likes

lets keep the faith. I hope you have good news on Monday

4 Likes

In this instance, itā€™s not about yield protection. It is about having far more qualified applicants than they can accept and yield increasing drastically at the same time. Tulane has been battling over-enrollment for the last five years or so due to more accepted applicants enrolling than expected as its yield has skyrocketed, increasing significantly each of the past several cycles. While a better problem to have than a decrease in yield, it presents its own set of issues.

They have accepted very few deferrals and admitted virtually no one off of the waitlist in the past few cycles, and I think those are tools they may need to start utilizing more going forward to combat over-enrollment. Unfortunately that will mean accepting fewer in EA so that they can be more precise with the final numbers. I think we may be seeing the beginning of this in the blog post. Hopefully the rise in yield will eventually plateau and make forecasting easier.

3 Likes

Can someone please confirm what the following means. My son applied to Tulane EA. He will receive his confirmation on 12/20. I just checked the CSS Profile and it says that an award letter will be issued 1/24/2022. There is also a portal link to click on. Does this mean he got in?

4 Likes

thatā€™s interesting. I dont have that but hopefully that is a good sign for you

1 Like

The award letter dates listed on CSS are for when the schools typically release their financial aid awards. Although I wish that it meant they were accepted also!

1 Like

Hi all, to the two people who have liked this, does this mean he got in? Iā€™m going nuts. I need a written reply of what this means ;). Thanks so much