Turing Class of 2026

On a slightly different note, how long did it take for UT to send your acceptance letters and “Gone to Texas” banners in the mail? S admitted on Jan 14 and hasn’t received yet. Some people say it takes a week and others say up to three weeks.

no letter yet. according to last year’s post: for turing, most drop out after 2 years because after 2 years the small class sizes disappear, and students want to take other courses that interest them

2 Likes

I think it was about 2 weeks

1 Like

The benefit of Turing wears off after freshman year based on what I hear. Career events get opened up to the rest of CS if you have over a 3.2 GPA but I’m not sure what year.

Decisions are sent out on a rolling basis as they are made, so there isn’t a set date that can be given out unfortunately.

Most people don’t drop out of Turing after two years, not sure where you saw that. While the smaller class sizes do disappear around then, there’s still lots of other benefits. Additionally, you’re free to take any courses you like, I believe the only difference is that you have to do an honors thesis instead of a generic upper-division CS elective. Other than that, all the required classes are just honors variants of the normal CS classes you’d have to take otherwise.

What is the criteria for admission in Turing? GPA/test score/EC?

There’s no set criteria, but standards are very high. Median SAT was a 1570 last year iirc. You’ll have to have some significant cs-related ECs as well.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say that the benefits wear off after freshman year. Having Turing on your resume is still great and the more advanced classes you will take/have taken will be a lasting help. There are also tons of Turing-exclusive recruiting events, I got an internship offer directly through one of those last semester. It’s also lots of fun, there’s usually a social event or two every month.

4 Likes

Thanks for this. It seems there is a lot of misinformation out there!

Thank you very much for your insight. You mentioned that the admissions were rolling, are there interviews? How late can the students be accepted into the program … meaning do they keep accepting people through Feb, or March or ??

Last year I think everyone was accepted in February, but that was a weird year for admissions due to covid. I don’t know when acceptances will stop going out (and I don’t think I can say when it does happen). My guess is that they will be finished mid-February but I don’t really have any evidence for that, just a semi-random hunch.

1 Like

for Dean’s scholars, I saw portal is updated today : the decision notification will be send out by March 1

So is that a deferral?

already admitted to CS major, so dean’s list is some kind of scholarship?

No deans is an honors program. If you applied by priority and that message showed up under honors, that means you got deferred

This is under my honor’s section :

Your application to Turing Scholars was completed on 11/01/2021 and is currently in review. View details.

You’ve met the honors priority deadline for this program.

Thank you for submitting your application to The University of Texas at Austin and your interest in Dean’s Scholars! Given the number of applications we’ve received and the increasing demand for some programs, we find that we must complete an additional review of your application before making a final decision.

We will do everything we can to provide a decision notification efficiently and no later than March 1. Thank you for your patience and interest in UT Austin!

Check the Admission tab for information about the current status of your application for general admission to the university.

Has anyone been accepted to Deans or Polymathic, all I see are rejections or deferrals? Is there anyone (priority) whose portal has not been updated for either of those two?

Just got the deferral on MyStatus just now, no email

For Turing and deans