UA BamaBound Reg is UP!

<p>Anyone know when they provide the teachers for the classes that are currently TBA? I noticed that very few of the EN103 classes list teachers.</p>

<p>As far as lunch break goes…if your child chooses to “go Greek” each house will have “to go” or box lunches available upon request. You just have to let the cooks know what days you need them for. DD has used this option each semester. This allows her to eat and not have to run across campus to the house. She only does one day a week but when you are paying $$$$ for food at the house it’s a great way to make sure you use the food plan wisely and not waste Dining dollars or Bama Cash. She just would not eat in the dining halls (none of her sorority sisters do).</p>

<p>Departments will start to fill in the professors’ names for the classes throughout the spring and summer.</p>

<p>By the beginning of summer, would you expect the majority of teachers to be filled in or will most people have to sign up “blind” at Bama Bound?</p>

<p>JTownatp: A majority of the professors should be listed at the start of the summer, although the mathematics department usually does not assign its professors until late July. So you may be registering “blind,” but remember, you can switch from class to class through the summer. Many students will do that, because AP/IB scores arrived or a host of other reasons. My son usually makes one or two changes during the summer months.</p>

<p>In terms of AP credit, should a student schedule assuming the best- they scored well enough to earn the AP credit or should they schedule the core class and then reschedule when they find out their AP score? D is assuming she’ll score well enough on AP lit to fulfill ENG 101 and 102 and go directly into ENG 215. Should she just schedule ENG 215?</p>

<p>When my son went to Bama Bound three years ago, he was told to make his schedule as if he had the qualifying score needed to advance to the next level of classes.</p>

<p>I suggest making a grid with the days of the week across in the top row…and times (every half hour) going down in the first column…making sure that each square in the grid is big enough to accomodate a few choices.</p>

<p>Go to the dept’s suggested sequencing of classes (many majors have this), and make a list of what classes might be taken next fall. If some suggested classes are fulfilled with AP, then assume you can either move on, retake, take an honors class, or take a fun class.</p>

<p>Depts that don’t have sequenced classes, will just list req’d classes…it’s usually best to just start with the lowest numbers (ie 101, 102) because those classes are likely pre-reqs for the next levels.</p>

<p>Then, go to MyBama and click on Look Up Classes (center column, main page)…select Fall 2012 and start filling in the grid squares with options…include the CRN number, important!</p>

<p>Include Option A, B, and C…since a desired class/time may fill up. </p>

<p>Try to schedule meal breaks or homework/study breaks during the day. Meal breaks are best scheduled either right before or right after dining venues get really busy. Just as in real life…dining venues are busiest at popular meal times.</p>

<p>Try to include a fun class. :)</p>

<p>Avoid 8 am classes unless you’re a natural early riser.</p>

<p>Do not sign up for too many classes with labs or too many demanding classes. Very important to balance your schedule…advisors will also likely tell kids this.</p>

<p>When searching for courses on myBama, click “Advanced Search” so you can select multiple departments at once and see all the courses offered for those departments (you have the ability to further modify the search if you so desire). The default search was added this past year and only lets you search for sections of a specific course which, for example, makes it hard to see that a section of EN 210 fits ones schedule better than a section of EN 209. I have taken a lot of interesting courses simply because they showed up on myBama and seemed interesting, something that is much harder to do with the default course search.</p>

<p>SEA Tide, is there something called Advanced Search, or are you referring to the search where you fill in lots of stuff under Class Schedule Search, as opposed to typing a course name in the search box at the very top on MyBama?</p>

<p>From the home tab of myBama, one clicks “Look Up Classes”, selects the term being searched and then gets to a page that says “Look Up Classes.” On that page is a list of subjects (of which you can only select one) and two buttons, one that says “Course Search” and one that says “Advanced Search.” I click the latter and am then able to fill out a lot of different options. Honestly, I have never used the search box on myBama as I know the general location of most tasks I need to accomplish.</p>

<p>Who’s going to be at the May 29-30 session? It’d be cool to meet some of y’all.</p>

<p>Maybe people should post which BB they are attending so fellow attendees can arrange a meet-up.</p>

<p>If a student has a MyBama account, what prevents them from registering for classes before attending BB? In other words, if the student can’t attend BB until July, what prevents them from registering for classes in early June></p>

<p>We’ve never done this before, but my understanding is that there’s a hold on your ability to register until you’ve met with an advisor, which you won’t be able to do before Bama Bound. Current students have to meet with an advisor as well before the hold is lifted.</p>

<p>That’s right. There is a hold.</p>

<p>At what point during BamaBound does the student meet with the advisor? Is it before 9am the second day (when registration holds are lifted?) or do we have to wait until they meet with their advisor if we (parents) want to schedule classes for them?</p>

<p>wdaveo: When my son registered at a non-honors BB, he saw an adviser on the second day in the morning. Until then, the hold stayed. The student will learn how to navigate the registration process, which is all online. As for attending a later BB, do not worry about course selection. There will be plenty of classes. If something is full and a student needs that class, ask for an override. During the BB sessions, all students can see what classes still have spots, so students can switch from one class to another. A class may have no spots one hour but three the next. You learn to be patient and keep checking.</p>