UA Honors College

<p>I’m only a junior and high school, I would like to get involved with the honors college. I noticed that on the requirements you must have an ACT score of 28. Is this just a base score? Are there any exceptions to say, a 25 with a 3.5 GPA involved with the community and president of Future Business Leaders of America? I would really like to keep with the 25 and not retake it. Are there any factors like the ones listed above that they put into consideration?</p>

<p>You should definitely retake the ACT and try to boost your score. Are you instate or Out of State? Why not try for a tuition scholarship?</p>

<p>Get a prep book and study and try again, what do you have to lose?</p>

<p>Good Luck</p>

<p>To answer your question, you can get to UA and do well academically and then apply to the Honors College, once in you can participate in all the activities and events.</p>

<p>There isn’t necessarily an absolute barline ACT score. However, a 25 would definitely be on the low side for the honors college, so I would highly recommend taking it again. Your GPA could also use a little padding but it certainly isn’t bad. The honors college uses what is called a holistic review of any given application, which means it looks at every aspect, not just test scores; however, if you plan to keep your ACT where it is, you’ll need a lot more extracurriculars and higher grades to match up to your competition. Good luck!</p>

<p>Alright, I will defiantly retake the ACT just to get my score up there. </p>

<p>About the tuition: I’m apart of the Veteran’s Affairs program, so I get my tuition, Course fees, and books all paid for. (I can even sell back the books and pocket the money - shhh) Maybe I could get some type of scholarship to pay for this $1,500+ meal plan, I would also like to live in Ridgecrest or Presidential Villiage, and Participate in Greek life. </p>

<p>Have any of you/your sons/daughters, anyone ever awarded scholarships outside of UA such as Cappex? Those little cash chunks would really help out - I would like to put as much as I can to avoid my parents having to pay for it all.</p>

<p>Oh, I am instate. Forgot to mention. Hunstville - Madison area.</p>

<p>I would strongly recommend that you retake the ACT or try the SAT. What would happen if Alabama changed its standards and wanted a higher ACT/SAT/GPA in the coming year or two? You would hate to miss out, especially when you still have time to bump for your scores/GPA. </p>

<p>And robotbldmom is right. Go for the 28 on the ACT or higher so you can earn some merit money.</p>

<p>While it is wonderful that you are the president of FBLA and participate in community activities, more often than not, students in the Honors College had those same type of items on their resumes … and more. So that could be a wash when it comes to consideration.</p>

<p>As for your question about scholarships outside of what UA offers, the answer is yes. My son earned about $6,000 in additional monies. He used them for his meals the first three semesters. along with his fees. Since being at UA, he has earned additional monies for various things.</p>

<p>I’m sure I can do better, the 25 was my first attempt that was before a seminar and my practice tests. I should be able to push it up to at least a 28 if not higher. </p>

<p>Momreads: that certainly makes me feel a lot better about applying for those other small scholarships. I am going to try a lot harder to get some of them.</p>

<p>Are your parents or grandparents alumni of UA? There is a scholarship for those folks.</p>

<p><a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/12-13HeritageFlyer.pdf[/url]”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/12-13HeritageFlyer.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/12-13ScholarFlyer.pdf[/url]”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/12-13ScholarFlyer.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Ah yes! My grandparents and my great grandparents are alumni of UA. I need to do a bit of research on my great grandfather, I know he was not only a UA alum but he was also in the running for governer of Alabama at some point. I probably would have overlooked the legacy qualifications for the reason that my parents didn’t attend UA.</p>

<p>If your Grand Parents’s are living, “help” them join the National Alumni – after that you can keep up their dues… There are two types of scholarships there, one just for being you, and another if your grades/ACT are high enough… Ensure you check the right boxes when time to submit for scholarships.</p>

<p>Agree with all others, take both ACT and SAT to try to get your scores up – a 28 ACT paired with a 3.5 GPA will give you an automatic partial scholarship… Higher even better scholarships.</p>

<p>Put in for all the privates you can – put in for as many as you can through your school – don’t rely on guidance counselor, dig them up (look at last years (or in your case this years) list, and plan accordingly)…</p>

<p>Bama will stack all of this with your Alabama Veterans Affairs GI Dependent Scholarship – and what is left over after tuition, books, course fees, will be applied toward other costs, such as room, meal, dining dollars, parking, etc. – you will be billed for whatever is left.</p>

<p>RTR and tell your parent thanks for their service.</p>

<p>From the Honors College website:</p>

<p><a href=“http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=honors-q-a[/url]”>http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=honors-q-a&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>What are the qualifications for being admitted to the Honors College?</p>

<p>Entering freshmen with ACT scores of at least 28 or SAT scores of at least 1250 (verbal and quantitative) and at least a 3.30 high school GPA are invited to apply to the Honors College. Upon receipt of their applications, all National Merit Finalists and National Achievement Finalists are admitted automatically. Students will be notified of their acceptance by mail.</p>

<p>What if I don’t qualify for the Honors College right now? Can I be admitted later?</p>

<p>Yes! Current UA students with a minimum 3.3 GPA will be accepted into the Honors College upon submission of an application. All students who apply with greater than 60 hours are required to draft a plan to finish all honors coursework prior to admission. Students will be notified of their acceptance by mail.</p>

<p>Yes, try for the 28 ACT…and also take the SAT, you may do better with that. </p>

<p>What was the breakdown of your ACT? IF your science score was low, then you will likely do better on the SAT since there’s no Science on that. AND, on the SAT, you only have to do well in 2 sections…Math and CR.</p>

<p>You will NOT get into the honors college as a frosh with an ACT 25. There are too many hard-working students with ACT 25-27, so to admit you, they’d have to be fair and let in a bunch of others.</p>

<p>Yes, try for a scholarship. It will be cash in your pocket to pay for “day to day” stuff.</p>

<p>Sorry for the late response everyone, thank you so much for all the tips! I don’t have my ACT breakdown right in front of me at the moment, but my list of them from best to worst performance wise are: English, Science, Math and then reading. I don’t do very well on the reading which is strange because I read more often than most amongst my peers. I have signed up for the ACT this June and I have been doing so many practice test that hopefully will pay off. </p>

<p>BamaAF: I will tell them! Thanks for your help and RTR!
M2CK: I did terrible on the “PSAT” and I regret taking it because I scored so low. I play a better guessing game and am more comfortable because of the fact questions on the ACT add to your score and do nothing if they are incorrect.
Bamagirls: Thank you for this link, I will be sure to bookmark it as a reminder!</p>

<p>Is it correct that any Student with a 32 ACT score is an auto admit to UA’s law school?</p>

<p>Well, laws school is a graduate school. You can’t jump right into it I don’t think. And law school admission is based on the LSAT. Which you take while you are an undergrad.</p>

<p>There is an Honors College law school admissions program for AL residents partially based on ACT scores which waives LSAT’s: [Honors</a> Admissions Program | The University of Alabama | School of Law](<a href=“http://www.law.ua.edu/admissions/honors-program/]Honors”>http://www.law.ua.edu/admissions/honors-program/)</p>