UC Davis vs. UCSD

<p>There's really no question that UCSD is the best UC for biology, even better than LA and Berkeley. Davis is good, but not better than UCSD. Pretty much anyone who knows anything about the UC's will tell you that...</p>

<p>
[quote]
Fair enough, I'll address all the points:
research opportunity claim was based upon what I saw as I visited both campuses, and especially when I compared the two research centers.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>You're going to have to do better than that. What exactly are these two research centers that you compared? How exactly do you know there are more undergrads in one than the other?</p>

<p>By your reasoning, I can make a similar illogical conclusion based on what I saw. True story, by the way. A few summers ago, I spent a few weeks in Davis. I saw some people partying and doing drugs. Last year, I visited UCSB and saw people studying. Does that mean Davis is filled with party fiends and drug addicts while UCSB is not? No, it doesn't. What you saw in a glimpse tells you nothing much. Especially if you're talking about research opportunities, unless you've actually applied to programs at either schools and know specifics of the admissions.</p>

<p>
[quote]
UCSD is known much more for bioengineering than it is for biology. That is simply fact. It's ranked I believe #3 or so in Bioengineering, but definitely not that high in the biological sciences. Impacted, by the way, says nothing about the nature of the program, it just says whether that's what people are picking or not. The vast majority don't know anything about it at that particular college.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Wrong. UCSD is known for both biology and bioengineering. Just because you haven't heard about it doesn't mean it's not true. UCSD's undergrad biology is ranked very high according to the Gourman report, the only undergrad biology ranking out right now. It, in fact, ranks ahead of Berkeley and UCLA.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Biology rankings from Gourman Report
Caltech
MIT
Yale
Harvard
Wisconsin
UC San Diego
UC Berkeley
U Colorado
Columbia
Stanford
U Washington
U Chicago
Duke
Wash U St Louis
UCLA
U Michigan
Cornell
U Penn
Purdue
Indiana U
UNC Chapel Hill
U Utah
Johns Hopkins
Northwestern
Princeton
UC Irvine
Notre Dame
UC Santa Barbara
UVA
Brown
U Illinois Urbana Champaign
U Pittsburgh
Vanderbilt
U Oregon
SUNY Stony Brook
U Rochester
Tufts
U Minnesota
SUNY Buffalo
U Texas Austin
Florida State
Michigan State
USC
U Connecticut
UC Riverside
Rice
Iowa State
SUNY Albany
Case Western
Boston U
Ohio State
NYU
U Iowa
Penn State
Emory
Brandeis
U Kansas
Rutgers New Brunswick
Tulane
US Air Force Academy
U Missouri Columbia

[/quote]

This is from here:
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/314860-latest-gourman-report-physics-biology.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/314860-latest-gourman-report-physics-biology.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I don't see UC Davis on there anywhere.</p>

<p>People tend to pick majors that the school is best known for, in turn, capping enrollment in the major. A case in point is the EECS major at Berkeley.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Also, evolution is extremely important, especially when it comes to the fields of genetic engineering (most of what's done today), etc. For more proof I'd brush up here: Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[/quote]
</p>

<p>LOL You've gotta be kidding me.</p>

<p>Evolution is important for genetic engineering? That sentence about selectable markers refers to reporter gene constructs. If you've actually done cloning experiments, then you'd know evolution isn't a part of them. What the article refer to as "evolution" in genetic engineering is simply a method of selecting cells that took up your vector by either electroporation or homologous recombination. What is a huge part of genetic engineering is the actual construction of the DNA vector, which absolutely requires molecular biology and no evolution. For that, I refer you to Molecular Biology of the Cell by Alberts et al.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I'm not a biology major, never said I was, but that doesn't mean I can't understand the concepts. As for the classes, I've taken AP Bio and 3 classes so far my first year, so I have a general idea if nothing else.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>A first year who probably hasn't even taken organic chemistry or biochemistry... or even finished his first year... Right, that totally gives your statements credit.</p>

<p>
[quote]
If you want to continue the biological debate, feel free to PM me, but I don't think we should discuss it here.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Why not? Is it because people would find out how full of BS you are? Trust me, most people already have.</p>

<p>"Why not? Is it because people would find out how full of BS you are? Trust me, most people already have"</p>

<p>That is true in my case. Dmission does give helpful tips on the Davis forums and alot of his information is helpful at TIMES. But I'll only question him when I find something completely ridiculous come out such as this thread or choosing UCD over UCSD in terms of pre-medical advantages when I found out he didn't get into UCSD in the first place. Just people who post irrationalities in general to convince prospective students is annoying to me.</p>

<p>Like Tasty claims, just because a UC is amazing for a certain study doesn't mean the rest of its fields fall below those of the other UC's. Don't get me wrong, Davis is very good for their Biological sciences and yes, it is known for them. That does NOT make it BETTER than UCSD's biology department. In fact, the reason WHY it became impacted was because so many people wanted to study biology at UCSD. If this were the same for other schools then their departments would set some regulations such as an impacted system as well. Examples of this case includes Bioengineering at UCSD and Business/Econ at Berkeley being more Highly selective than other majors. Typically results such as these come from the prestige of their programs.</p>

<p>UCSD has the second best bio in the state, under Cal Tech LOL</p>

<p>If dmission really has that much influence over you then go to Davis.</p>

<p>Both options are good. UCSD has a more quiet environment so if you are a quiet person you will like it over there. UCD has more school spirit (D1 football team) , so if you are into that , pick UCD. </p>

<p>For me, if they are that close in the rankings ( 4 spots like dmission mentioned) I would choose the one I would most like to live in for the next 4 years.</p>

<p>and referring to #2)
I would think both have significant amount of Asian population.</p>

<p>and guys this isn't a time to be attacking Dmission for defending his school.</p>

<p>It is if he spreads the wrong facts.</p>

<p>Yeah the gap widened between UCSD and UCD like last year. It's now a 9 spot difference. UCD- 44
UCSD-35 </p>

<p>Almost the same difference as UCLA and UCSD: 25 and 35 respectively.</p>

<p>So yes, they are wrong facts.</p>

<p>Purest, I was talking about for bio rankings, not overall (USNWR).</p>

<p>And tastybeef no that's not why. It's because you've already hijacked this thread, and I'd like to remain somewhat on topic, if nothing else.</p>

<p>Don't be ridiculous. If you wanted to stay on topic, you would have stopped arguing after you said you would. But, no, you have to try to fabricate your way out of an impossible Gordian Knot that you made for yourself.</p>

<p>Remember, it takes two to tango. If you accuse me of hijacking this thread, then you accuse yourself of the same thing. At the worst, I've highjacked this thread to give nonpartisan information. On the other hand, you highjacked this thread to attract prospective students based on made-up "facts" about biology and opportunities at UC Davis.</p>

<p>tastybeef : enough bro</p>

<p>u don't need to call dmission names and such things
heck i know a lot of UCSD kids that try to promote UCSD or Berkeley. </p>

<p>if I were in dmission's situation, I would also try to promote my school but without the lies (although i still think that UCD has a terrific bio program)</p>

<p>"hermanliu320: UCSD is ranked 4 spots above Davis, according to USNWR. (Though Davis does beat it according to several other rankings) If that is more prestigious to you, fair enough - although most in academia consider all UCs to be equal except for UCLA and UCB. For undergrad, you're correct, ranking/prestige is not a huge issue"</p>

<p>...Not talking about USNWR eh....>_>...? I don't see Bio anywhere neither in your reply to hermanliu or hermanliu's assumption that UCSD was more prestigious.</p>

<p>It's almost as if Dmission asks for it.</p>

<p>i agree with amby right here
don't attack dmission</p>

<p>Who called dmission names?</p>

<p>Furthermore, who's attacking dmission?</p>

<p>lol @ agreeing with amby's post, which even admits that dmission is lying, immediately after defending him.</p>

<p>Let's just let this thread die.</p>

<p>^ amen
but i still think that UCD has a terrific bio reputation</p>

<p>The UC Davis College of Biological Sciences is committed to exceptional and innovative undergraduate education. Our faculty distinguish themselves through election to the National Academy of Sciences and other prestigious societies, and by frequent receipt of awards and honors for teaching and research. </p>

<p>New, state-of-the-art science teaching labs and award winning faculty committed to excellence in undergraduate teaching provide students with a comprehensive education in the biological sciences that few academic institutions can match. </p>

<p>UC</a> Davis: College of Biological Sciences: Undergraduate Academic Programs</p>

<p>The UC Davis College of Biological Sciences (CBS) is one of few colleges in the country dedicated entirely to the study of biological sciences. The college's faculty, researchers and students explore fundamental questions about life. Many of the college's faculty have been recognized for excellence by prestigious academic organizations.</p>

<p>Breakthroughs in medicine, nutrition, agriculture, and the environment all depend on better understanding life's many building blocks and how they fit together. Researchers at the CBS are advancing the planet's knowledge every day, exploring how life processes work when all goes right - and what happens when things go askew. </p>

<p>The mission of the College is: </p>

<p>To create and deliver exceptional and innovative undergraduate programs in the biological sciences.
To develop future leaders in the biological sciences through outstanding programs of graduate and postdoctoral education.
To foster an environment in which faculty members and students perform creative and substantial research that advances discovery in the biological sciences.
To impact the campus, the state of California, the nation and the world through service, community engagement, and scientific leadership. </p>

<p>UC</a> Davis College of Biological Sciences / About the College</p>

<p>Academic Departments
Evolution & Ecology
Molecular and Cellular Biology
Microbiology
Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior
Plant Biology </p>

<p>UC</a> Davis College of Biological Sciences / Academic Departments</p>

<p>The College of Biological Sciences offers nine academic majors and many minors
Majors</p>

<p>Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (MCB<em>) Biological Sciences Cell Biology (MCB</em>) Evolution, Ecology, and Biodiversity Exercise Biology Genetics (MCB*) Microbiology Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior Plant Biology * MCB = Section of Molecular and Cellular Biology. </p>

<p><a href="http://biosci.ucdavis.edu/undergrad/majors_minors/majors_minors_offered.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://biosci.ucdavis.edu/undergrad/majors_minors/majors_minors_offered.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Message from the Dean</p>

<p>Dear UC Davis Student:</p>

<p>The Davis campus has a long tradition of giving special attention to undergraduate education. For students majoring in the sciences, UC Davis offers a particularly resource-rich environment. Over 300 faculty members from the biology-related academic programs and professional schools welcome students into their laboratory research programs.</p>

<p><a href="http://biosci.ucdavis.edu/undergrad/research_intern/research_intern_message.htm%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://biosci.ucdavis.edu/undergrad/research_intern/research_intern_message.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Purest, as I said before I was talking about these:
Search</a> - Biological Sciences - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report</p>

<p>meant to say 5, not 4, but still, little no difference.</p>

<p>Still waiting for someone to show me one "lie" I mentioned.</p>

<p>i thought we were going to let this thread die ... what happened ?</p>

<p>There is lots more to think about that makes a campus a desirable place to be. UC Davis has a great deal that makes it distinctive. UC Davis has grown into a prestigious public research university, especially in the arts and humanities, environmental science, life and health sciences, agricultural science and in the engineering disciplines. </p>

<p>UC Davis also has several renowned graduate programs, such as the UC Davis School of Medicine (which includes the UC Davis Medical Center), the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, the UC Davis School of Law, UC Davis Graduate Studies, and the UC Davis Graduate School of Management. The university has a world-class medical center in downtown Sacramento. The university also has a Department of Viticulture and Enology (concerning the scientific study of grape-growing and winemaking) that has been and continues to be responsible for significant advancements in winemaking utilized by many Californian wineries.</p>

<p>The university is host to the largest Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) program in California, with more than 120 cadets. With more than sixty years in existence, it currently commissions roughly 30 to 40 graduating seniors as second lieutenants every year.</p>

<p>In addition to research and academics, UC Davis has a noteworthy athletics program; Aggie teams have recently joined NCAA Division I athletics. In its first year of full Division I status, 11 UC Davis teams qualified for NCAA post-season. UC Davis has the distinction of being one of only three UC campuses to field a football team (Cal and UCLA being the other two).</p>

<p>The University of California, Davis campus is the largest campus in the UC system, spanning over 5,500 acres across two counties: Yolo and Solano. Located 15 miles west of Sacramento in the Sacramento Valley. The Davis campus is the only school within the UC system with an airport, just west of main campus, and is one of two UC schools with its own fire department; the other being UCSC. It is also one of only two schools in the University of California system, the other being UC Berkeley, with a nuclear lab.</p>

<p>The UC Davis campus is considered world-renowned and has been praised for its architecture and picturesque scenery. UC Davis offers broad green lawns and bubbling fountains, sculpture gardens and fine museums, lush landscaping and an intriguing mix of architectural styles. There are huge amounts of well-kept and attractive open space on the UC Davis campus, from Hutchison, Dobbins, Russell, and Howard Fields to various soccer, rugby, lacrosse, and tennis fields. It is surrounded by the residential area of the city of Davis.</p>

<p>Picnic Day, UC Davis's annual Open House, is the largest student-run event in the United States. It attracts thousands of visitors each year with its many attractions. These include a parade, a magic show performed by the chemistry department, the Doxie Derby (dachshund races), film screenings, and a Battle of the Bands between the Band-uh! and other college bands including the Cal Band, the Stanford Band, and the Humboldt State Marching Band.</p>

<p>Another highlight of UC Davis is its student-run freeform radio station, KDVS. The station began operations on February 1, 1964 from the laundry room of the all-male dormitory Beckett Hall. The station can now be heard on 90.3 FM and online at its website.</p>

<p>KDVS plays everything from punk to jazz to rare psych/garage-rock to music of Middle Eastern folk traditions and experimental and as-yet-unclassified music of yet-to-be-named-genres; weekday programming also features no less than 2.5 hours of news and public affairs such as political talk shows, Free Speech Radio News, and Pacifica Network's Democracy Now with Amy Goodman. KDVS has the second or third largest vinyl collection in California, rivaled only by some loner guy in San Francisco and perhaps KZSU at Stanford University. Neither KDVS or KZSU has been successful in counting each and every record and CD they have compiled, so this issue remains a point of contention (albeit a point of friendly contention).</p>

<p>Anyone can be a DJ if they volunteer. Attend one of the volunteer meetings and you're ready to work at the station. To have your own show, you have to volunteer 50 hours (unless you have a co-host, in which case you split your hours). There are always plenty to do at the station. The most popular job may be censoring new music, which gets you exposed to new, exciting (most times) obscure bands. DJs are required to volunteer at least 40 hours per quarter, in addition to their shows. But even if you are not an on-air personality, there's plenty of behind the scenes work that goes on, including: Website, Programming, Office, Production, Publicity, Music Department.</p>

<p>KDVS</a> - Davis Wiki</p>

<p>UC Davis has some 400 registered student organizations, ranging from political clubs to professional societies to language clubs. Student clubs are managed through the Student Programs and Activities Center (SPAC).</p>

<p>The undergraduate student government of UC Davis is the Associated Students of UC Davis (ASUCD), and has an annual operating budget of 10.5 million dollars, making it the highest funded student government in the United States.</p>

<p>Similar to the US government, ASUCD includes an Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branch. Other than representing the student body on campus, the task of ASUCD is to lobby student interests to local and state government. Also under the purview of ASUCD are multiple units: services offered to the undergraduate student body. The student-run Coffee House is an ASUCD unit, as is Unitrans, the Davis public bus system. ASUCD employs thousands of students annually across its many units.</p>

<p>ASUCD units include:</p>

<p>Unitrans, the student run (and driven) bus system.
The Coffee House, a student run restaurant serving 7000 customers daily.
The California Aggie, the student newspaper in operation since 1915 with daily distribution of 12,000 copies.
The Bike Barn, a bicycle shop that sells and rents bicycles and cycling equipment, also operating a repair shop.
KDVS, student radio.
The Entertainment Council, responsible for bringing famous musicians to campus and organizing student events.
US Post Office, a completely student-run official United States Postal Service Contract Station. </p>

<p>UC Davis also publishes a daily student newspaper, The California Aggie, which has the largest print distribution in Yolo County, at around 12,000 copies distributed daily.</p>

<p>Social fraternities and sororities have been a part of the University of California at Davis since 1923. Approximately 8% of the university's undergraduate students are involved in the school's fraternities and sororities.</p>

<p>UC Davis is famous for its large number of bicycles and bicyclists. The city of Davis boasts the highest number of bikes per capita of any U.S. city. Bicyclists are ubiquitous around campus as well as the city, and thus a lot of bike-only infrastructure exists, such as bike circles, large bike lanes, and traffic signals exclusively for bikes. </p>

<p>UC Davis is also well known for its bus service, Unitrans, and its trademark London double decker buses. It has been in operation since 1968 and is believed to be the only general purpose (non-sightseeing) transit system in the U.S. to operate vintage double deck buses in daily service. The system is operated and managed entirely by students and offers fixed-route transportation throughout the city. There is also an inter-campus bus service that ferries back and forth between UC Davis and UC Berkeley twice daily, from Monday to Friday.</p>

<p>UC Davis is home to the Mondovi Center for the Performing Arts
As part of the UC Davis mission as a land grant university, Mondavi Center provides outstanding cultural programming, support for the University's academic departments, and a professional laboratory to train students in the performing arts. Mondavi Center is committed to maintaining state-of-the art, world-class performance facilities and providing the highest quality experience for both artists and audiences.
Mondavi</a> Center</p>

<p>The Aggie Stadium
Aggie</a> Stadium: Information from Answers.com</p>

<p>The UC Davis Arboretum
The UC Davis Arboretum is a living museum and a refuge of great beauty where visitors can step away from their busy lives and reconnect with nature. Visitors may wander through the Arboretum on their own or join public tours. The Arboretum gardens are open 24 hours a day, every day of the year, and there is no charge for admission.
Welcome</a> the UC Davis Arboretum</p>

<p>Outdoor Adventures
Outdoor Adventures is one of the largest university outdoor programs in the United States. They run trips and classes in a variety of disciplines year round. Part of Campus Recreation, student fees help support the program, although it still costs money to go on trips. Trips are open to everyone in the general public with discounts to students and ARC members.
Outdoor</a> Adventures - Davis Wiki</p>

<p>University</a> of California, Davis: Information from Answers.com</p>

<p>Sorry to disappoint, but now I am done, yet I'm betting one of them will say something provocative anyway.</p>

<p>I stand by everything I said though, what was not subjective was documented and correct, and the others, well, are subjective.</p>

<p>Edit: Seems I was right, see below</p>

<p>
[quote]
On the first point, tastybeef, I already said I was referring to public schools. Stop changing my words.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Wow, how ironic. I changed your words? You're the one who changed your own words to say you were referring only to public schools when you were questioned.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The others are all semantics, and I still say it's you who isn't quite sure about how biology works. Ask anyone what the most important aspect of it is, and the answer will be evolution.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Translation: I still stand by my poorly constructed knowledge of a field that I have absolutely no exposure to beyond an AP course by posing a nonsensical question to an imaginary audience that by chance (gasp) stands by my own opinions.</p>

<p>Great job there.</p>

<p>How are they semantics? You don't know anything about the biology undergraduate research programs yet you claimed definitively that one school has more opportunities. The issue isn't in the semantics of your fabrication, only the content. Do you even know what semantics mean?</p>

<p>
[quote]
Sorry to disappoint, but now I am done

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Are you really? You've said this twice before, but came back just to be confronted and embarrassed, rightly so, by other posters. I mean, is this just another lie? I say it is. For the sake of prospective students, please prove me wrong.</p>

<hr>

<p>Edit: Aw, he proved me right, yet again. See above. I guess nothing he writes is true.</p>