UC Davis vs. UCSD

<p>Just making a point that UCD has the best veterinary program out of all the UCs</p>

<p>UC Davis has the only veterinary program in the UC system.</p>

<p>More on research:
UC</a> Davis: College of Bio Sci / Faculty
UC</a> Davis: College of Biological Sciences: Undergraduate Academic Programs: Research and Internships
UC</a> Davis: College of Biological Sciences: Undergraduate Programs: Undergraduate Research: How to Enroll
UC</a> Davis: College of Biological Sciences: Undergraduate Academic Programs: Research and Internships: Student & Faculty Comments
UC</a> Davis CLIMB
Internship</a> and Career Center, UC Davis / Health and Biological Sciences / Index
UC</a> Davis: College of Biological Sciences: Undergraduate Academic Programs: Special Programs
UC</a> Davis: College of Bio Sci / Undergraduate Research Opps Faculty</p>

<p>lol this is intense
have you made your decision snita?
ucd and ucsd are both gd at bio
but
UCSD has MORE, HOTTER Brown guys than UCD
;) hope that helps</p>

<p>What's the point of copying and pasting from the Davis website and Davis Wiki? That doesn't further your argument that Davis is better than UCSD for bio.</p>

<p>I find the argument to be a waste of time and it is not helpful. There is a great deal more than a ranking of a few degrees one way or the other that should go into deciding on the right university for an individual student. I think it is way more helpful to point out other areas that students might not have considered, and many students don't know how to find the information. Other students might not even stop and realize how many other things ought to be taken into consideration when making a school choice.</p>

<p>For example here is something that students should be aware of. UCSD is largely a commuter campus. Those living in campus dorms at UC's are mostly freshman. UCSD has a higher percentage of freshman who live at home and drive to the campus. Many students living on campus at UCSD go home on the weekend, which makes for a quiet campus. UCSD is not located in a college town (the city La Jolla) like UC Davis. There is no centralized area around the campus where the majority of students both live and congregate. Large numbers of students drive in to school and park each day, thus the often lamented UCSD parking problems. </p>

<p>Due to lack of availability and expense, after freshman year many students live in diverse areas away from the campus and are unable to walk or bike. At UCSD most students (not freshman) end up living about 20 minutes away (though there are shuttles). At UCB, UCLA, UCD, UCSC, and UCSB the vast majority of students all live in the immediate area surrounding their campus and there is plenty of walking/biking distance entertainment and housing (the costs vary dramatically from campus to campus). These schools also provide intricate public and university transit to serve the students. It's good to have a car after freshman year if you plan to attend UCSD.</p>

<p>The argument isn't a waste of time because it's the topic of the thread... The OP is deciding between UCSD and UCD, so it could help to have people argue (with factual evidence) the pros and cons of each school.</p>

<p>^^^ yet again this one (collegemom16) doesnt answer the question at all. no need to post unnecesary info praising davis and finding fault with ucsd. it really doesnt help the person asking the question better unless you actually compare the two schools against each other rather than being so onesided, so yeah...</p>

<p>so smitapita im actually gonna answer your question (the second one):
I went to admit day for both schools definitely saw FAR more brown people in ucsd. ( im not tryna be bias, im just keeping it REAL based on what i saw). For the "whose hotter" part of your question, id have to say both schools were pretty even. both had its fair share of good/normal looking brown people and nerdy brown people. </p>

<p>Now REALTALK. I think that a degree from either schools is good. I still say ucsd is definately a tougher school to get into and even if you dont want to go to med school, you still have a lot of other HOT science/engineering majors you can choose from. </p>

<p>UCSD</a> Named 'Hottest for Science' by Newsweek Guide [Jacobs School of Engineering: News & Events]</p>

<p><a href="http://diversity.ucsd.edu/pdf/ugethnicity2008.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://diversity.ucsd.edu/pdf/ugethnicity2008.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p><a href="http://facts.ucdavis.edu/documents/student_headcount_ethnicity.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://facts.ucdavis.edu/documents/student_headcount_ethnicity.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Undergraduate student headcount by ethnicity Fall 08</p>

<p>African American/Black
UCD/716
UCSD/340</p>

<p>Asian
UCD/9727
UCSD/10887</p>

<p>Mexican-American
UCD/2325
UCSD/2159</p>

<p>Latino
UCD/752
UCSD/626</p>

<p>Native-American
UCD/155
UCSD/90</p>

<p>Caucasian
UCD/8536
UCSD/6028</p>

<p>Other/Undeclared
UCD/1041
UCSD/2388</p>

<p>Non-US Citizens
UCD/497
UCSD/not stated</p>

<p>
[quote]
For example here is something that students should be aware of. UCSD is largely a commuter campus. Those living in campus dorms at UC's are mostly freshman. UCSD has a higher percentage of freshman who live at home and drive to the campus. Many students living on campus at UCSD go home on the weekend, which makes for a quiet campus. UCSD is not located in a college town (the city La Jolla) like UC Davis. There is no centralized area around the campus where the majority of students both live and congregate. Large numbers of students drive in to school and park each day, thus the often lamented UCSD parking problems.</p>

<p>Due to lack of availability and expense, after freshman year many students live in diverse areas away from the campus and are unable to walk or bike. At UCSD most students (not freshman) end up living about 20 minutes away (though there are shuttles). At UCB, UCLA, UCD, UCSC, and UCSB the vast majority of students all live in the immediate area surrounding their campus and there is plenty of walking/biking distance entertainment and housing (the costs vary dramatically from campus to campus). These schools also provide intricate public and university transit to serve the students. It's good to have a car after freshman year if you plan to attend UCSD.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>And you know this from experience right?</p>

<p>So basically there are no students living in the 2nd year guaranteed apartments? </p>

<p>
[quote]
Due to lack of availability and expense, after freshman year many students live in diverse areas away from the campus and are unable to walk or bike. At UCSD most students (not freshman) end up living about 20 minutes away (though there are shuttles).

[/quote]
</p>

<p>again you know this from experience right?
I'm sure you've actually used the shuttles when students are commuting to campus right?</p>

<p>To the post about being a commuter school. Everyone does stuff on the weekends. It doesn't have to be on campus but first off, all you need is to KNOW someone that has a car but if not, people usually go off campus to do stuff in San Diego or go to the beach. THAT is typically why the campus is "dead" or what people may perceive it as on the weekends.</p>

<p>
[quote]
And you know this from experience right?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yes my d was accepted into UCSD and made three trips there. The first trip she and her friends stayed in her BF's brother's apartment in an area where he said a lot of students end up living. It was 20 minutes from campus. On the second trip she stayed on campus in a dorm (sixth). She said it was far to walk to the other dorms which are divided into six different areas of campus. My SIL lives in San Diego and two of her sons have attended UCD. She gave us the full run down of the pros and cons of both of the campuses. I have also personally toured UCSD twice. </p>

<p>
[quote]
So basically there are no students living in the 2nd year guaranteed apartments?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Those living in campus dorms at UC's are mostly freshman.</p>

<p>
[Quote]
And you know this from experience right?

[/Quote]

If you have to experience something personally before you can express your opinion or advice, 95% of this forum will disappear.
Excerpts from your previous posts:
"bioE at ucsd will not be easier than bioE at UCB..."
"Changing TO an engineering major from a non-engineer major -process not difficult at all unless your switching to an impacted major..."
"Im majoring in EE and am in ERC, although, I'm switching to Biochemistry this spring..."</p>

<p>Experience does not necessarily imply sound opinion or advice, and lack of experience does not necessarily imply poor opinion or advice.</p>

<p>@sunfish:

[quote]
"Changing TO an engineering major from a non-engineer major -process not difficult at all unless your switching to an impacted major..."
"Im majoring in EE and am in ERC, although, I'm switching to Biochemistry this spring..."

[/quote]

funny thing, these post are from experience, albeit I don't claim that all my post are from experience.</p>

<p>I bring up experience only because collegemom's comments are not entirely true. While there are students who do live a good deal away from campus, majority do not.</p>

<p>@collegemom: </p>

<p>
[quote]
The first trip she and her friends stayed in her BF's brother's apartment in an area where he said a lot of students end up living. It was 20 minutes from campus.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Her BF's brother obviously knows a lot about UCSD off campus housing.</p>

<p>
[quote]
My SIL lives in San Diego and two of her sons have attended UCD. She gave us the full run down of the pros and cons of both of the campuses.

[/quote]

The lady has two sons who attended UCD, her comments are not without bias.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Those living in campus dorms at UC's are mostly freshman.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I don't know the housing situation with other schools, but UCSD offers two years of guaranteed campus housing. Unlike UCB and UCLA, I think, which offers 1 yr(not sure on this). On top of that UCSD has an International house and this fall a newly built housing for transfer students. </p>

<p>Collegemom: I'm from NorCal and I have tons of friends who ended up attending UCD. They live ~30-40min from campus, so they are just commuting to school. They even carpool together. Does this mean UCD is a commuter school?</p>

<p>UCB has four year housing guaranteed and UCLA is almost there.</p>

<p>My SIL lives in SD and her d attends there, so yes she knows about both schools. You have not heard her opinions so I don't think you are in a position to say whether or not they contain bias (She has many things to say about both schools BTW). </p>

<p>Are you attempting to say La Jolla is a college town eric? Are you attempting to say Davis is not? I don't think you'd find too many people to support you in that opinion. The majority of students attending UCD live in Davis and it is not a commuter campus. Davis is by definition a college town.</p>

<p>The majority of students living on campus at UCSD are freshman. This is a fact. There is not enough housing near UCSD to support the school population. UCSD has more students who commute than other UC campuses.</p>

<p>
[quote]
My SIL lives in SD and her d attends there, so yes she knows about both schools. You have not heard her opinions so I don't think you are in a position to say whether or not they contain bias (She has many things to say about both schools BTW).

[/quote]

haha so now she has a daughter that attended ucsd?</p>

<p>
[quote]
Are you attempting to say La Jolla is a college town eric? Are you attempting to say Davis is not? I don't think you'd find too many people to support you in that opinion. The majority of students attending UCD live in Davis and it is not a commuter campus. Davis is by definition a college town.

[/quote]

You missed my point.</p>

<p>La Jolla definitely isn't your average college town; it is primarily a residential area with tons of apartment/condos/houses catered to it's students. i.e: UTC, Hillcrest, Regents Court, Costa Verde, University Heights, Pacific Beach, Playmor, Ocean Beach, and Windansea. </p>

<p>haha, I have a midterm this week so I'd much rather read arguments rather actually make one. </p>

<p>-you UCD people are so vicious, lol.</p>

<p>I'm not arguing that UCSD doesn't rank higher than UCD in bio.. but Davis for some reason seems extremely well known for it .. before I looked at any of the actual rankings I would have thought that Davis was way above SD.. I'm going to be a science major.. not bio.. and noticed that most regular people I talked to about colleges were impressed by science programs at Davis more so than some higher ranked schools I got into.. I'm not sure if this matters to you but if you care about PERCEIVED prestige then you may want to consider that. </p>

<p>I was at Decision UC Davis Day or w/e it was called and it seemed like an amazing place to be for four years because of the genuinely nice people.. but while the town was charming it wasn't anything you couldn't conquer in a fifteen minute walk around "downtown".. I'm from a city so my opinion on that might be different from yours I'm not sure where you are from.</p>

<p>Good luck =]</p>

<p>Eric the only reason I didn't bring up my SIL's d is because she is the same age as my d. At the time of my d's college shopping experiences she wasn't at UCSD yet. Three years ago when we stayed with her cousin at their house in SD we all toured the campus together. Obviously we've had many opportunities to share information since then. My d's 2nd cousin is also a student at UCSD.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I'm not arguing that UCSD doesn't rank higher than UCD in bio.. but Davis for some reason seems extremely well known for it .. before I looked at any of the actual rankings I would have thought that Davis was way above SD.. I'm going to be a science major.. not bio.. and noticed that most regular people I talked to about colleges were impressed by science programs at Davis more so than some higher ranked schools I got into.. I'm not sure if this matters to you but if you care about PERCEIVED prestige then you may want to consider that.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Here's where the local context comes into play. Davis is perceived to be strong in the sciences because its science programs are better than its own other programs in humanities, social sciences, etc. However, when compared to the science programs at other schools, Davis' are simply mediocre with the exception of evolution/ecology.</p>

<p>This perception of prestige, trust me, extends only to the layperson. And if you're a science major, chances are you won't be hired by a layperson who doesn't know how the rankings actually are. You will be hired by somebody who knows about the field extensively, unlike some Davis posters who would rather argue mindlessly about something they don't know about.</p>

<p>Perceived prestige can only impress people who aren't familiar with the field. If you want to impress people within your own field who can actually help with your career, then go with the credible rankings and not this useless perceived prestige.</p>