UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

@kerlykerls, which portal is this? Can you perhaps paste the url? Thanks

For the alumni scholarship, I pretty much used a couple of essays from my UC application because from what I heard, the organization that reviews the alumni scholarship can’t see our original essays. Is the same true for the Regents scholarship? Because I might have to change the essays for the general application, which I sent in for the alumni, if they can also see the original UC ones. Thanks!

@Napafolie ok, so your daughter did the alumni scholarship and now sees the regents essay question on the portal? Did she get the alumni scholarship invite and/or the regents invite? I just got the alumni scholarship invite.

Hi everyone. Thanks for your patience. I have an official answer to the alumni scholarship and regents questions many of you have been posting. I will post this in a separate thread as well so it won’t get buried.

Alumni Scholarship

1. UCLA invites top applicants to apply for the scholarship. Anyone can apply so it will show up on the portal for everyone. The people who are invited to apply are the most likely to receive it because they have been identified by UCLA already. Its worth trying though. Applying or not applying does not change your chances of admission. Winners are informed after interviews happen which occur after admission. There is a correlation but not causation with being invited to apply and getting admitted. The invitation email specifically invites you to apply. Any emails reminding you of the deadline to apply is generic.

Regents Scholarship

1. In years past UCLA did not have a regents app. Instead based on the UC app they would select regents winners and inform them at the time of admission.
  2. This year UCLA has implemented a system for a regents application.
  3. A few weeks ago top applicants were invited to apply for regents. Those invited have a correlation of getting in as regents is for the top 1-2% of applicants.
  4. Anyone is allowed to apply for regents which is why it is on everyones portals. Any glitches that wouldn’t allow someone to submit has since been corrected.
  5. It is highly unlikely to get the regents scholarship if you were not invited. However there is still a chance.
  6. Applying or not applying has no bearing on your admission.
  7. If you are invited to apply for regents you can expect to eventually be admitted.
  8. Emails inviting you to apply constitute an invitation. Emails reminding you of the deadline are generic. Only the email invitation is an invitation. Remeber everyone has regents on their portal now.

I hope this helps and puts to rest all the rumors. Note this is directly from staff in undergraduate admissions. Anything contradictory going around is just a rumor. Best of luck. Decision release is right around the corner!!

@Gumbymom FYI in the other UC forums about UCLA

@10s4life thank you so much for clearing things up. One question though, were regent invite sent a few weeks ago? I just received mine yesterday. Were they sent in waves? Did anybody receive the invitation a few weeks ago?

@letsshope All UCLA emails are in waves. If you got the invitation you got an invitation.

@Gumbymom THANK YOU for your information! How exciting that if we received the invitation email to apply for Regents, my D can “expect to be eventually admitted”. :slight_smile: I don’t know if you can answer this, but my D ended up not filling out the Alumni Scholarship, so now in looking at the Regents Scholarship, it appears the Alumni Scholarship questions are part of the “General Application”, and in order to fill out the Regents Scholarship app, you have to first submit the “General Application” too, which includes those 2 Alumni Scholarship questions (arghhhh
). Do you know if this is the case?

I didn’t get the email telling me to apply for regents, but I did for the Alumni scholarship and I applied for it. I went to the scholarship portal and it now says I should fill out the Regents application. Is this good news or is it like this for everybody?

@collegeboundscal: I will defer you to @10s4life or contact the FA office. Since not applying to the Alumni Scholarship has no bearing on the admission status, not sure why these questions would be part of the Regent application also.

@NietzscheRules Please read my post above. If you didn’t get an invite by email it’s not an invite. Everyone has the regents app on their portal.

@collegeboundscal To apply for regents you have to follow all the steps needed on the website. So that would mean the general app too. Like my post said, applying or not applying has no effect on admissions. The only thing that can indicate an early glimpse on your possible decision is whether or not you got an email invite for either the alumni scholarship or regents.

@10s4life If the regents tab showed up a few weeks ago on our portals as a glitch, does that mean we were initially invited to apply?

@letsgorams Like I said in the post the only official invitation is through email. Everyone has regents on their portals as everyone can apply to it. I encourage everyone who had questions to please read the post I posted as it should answer all of your questions. There is also a link to it below:
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-los-angeles/2127799-ucla-official-regents-and-alumni-scholarships-faq-2019.html#latest

@10s4life is there still possibility for someone to get the Regents invite? As you said emails from UCLA are sent out in waves

@sammygrammy Possibly but as time goes on the chances go down of getting one.

@10s4life Where is the portal? I can only find the admissions decisions page. Can you help? URL?
@OneAndOnlySJ did you get this info from the other poster?

@readthetealeaves Everything should be linked to your myucla app portal. If it’s not there I would ask another user. I do campus tours so technical questions are not up my alley. As a current student I don’t have access to app portal urls nor have I seen what it looks like in a while. Calling admissions can also help.

@10s4life If my S didn’t get invited to April 14, Discover engineering 
 can he still go and join? Or does he have to be invited?

@happypeasinapod Yes. At the very end I said all invite emails are invitations.

@10s4life thanks
 So I was wondering if my S did not get invited to discover engineering on April 14, can he still go and join? Or is this event by invitation only?

@readthetealeaves, here is the link I could find, https://prospective-ugstudents-ucla.academicworks.com/opportunities/17. No, it’s NOT on the application status portal. You’d need to create a new login for this scholarship portal. Yes, as others have said, anyone can create an account in the scholarship portal and submit applications for scholarships like the Regents, even if not having been invited.

I can’t say the process at UCLA is very transparent or informative. Why can’t they just be straight-forward and take the guesswork and frustration/stress out? Just tell people if you don’t get invitations, don’t bother wasting hours writing yet another essay. And stop making the links searchable and publicly accessible. Chances of getting Regents is already very small, no need to entice/trick more people to apply. And be consistently about the process, not telling different stories to different people. I called the admissions office half an hour ago and was told that there is no separate application for Regents. Everyone is automatically considered. Apparently this is not true according to @10s4life, and the fact that there is a supplemental essay required for the Regents. I wish they could simply tell us the truth.