UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

DS also received the email above. Looks like a courtesy email to explain the process to all those who applied.

I accidentally wrote on my Ucla supplemental application that I was taking environmental science for the part where they ask you for your grade when I am taking ap environmental science. I put in my regular UC application that I was taking ap environmental science. If I tell them right now is it going to change anything?

@letsgorams Alumni scholarship reading is March 22-24th https://alumni.ucla.edu/scholarships/alumni-scholarships-volunteer/

It would be safe to assume that the decision release date will be March 22, 2019. Based on reading and watching videos online, reading starts on the day application decisions are released.

@MrRobot2018 Where was the major? I donā€™t see it either. I see the same as @college20019bound

@idontno Where is email ID?

@collegemom111111 Please donā€™t worry about the portal stuff. Itā€™s all very routine maintenance that happens in early March. It has no secondary meaning or insight to decisions.

@Twoin18 ingenious find! yes @letsgorams Iā€™ve found that same info in my research. i think itā€™s probably safe to bet on March 22nd as well; if it were the 15th, reading would start earlier than the 22nd because they need as much time as possible to comb through applications.

@koreanbunbunny at this point no. By now Pretty much all decisions are made

Iā€™ve always thought the UCs donā€™t communicate their decisions but I just read some articles about how some people know and are close with admission officers and that they do. Does anyone have any info on that?

I was looking at previous threads, and it seems that UCLAā€™s decision is a week after UC Davis. UC Davis decisions were yesterday so Iā€™m assuming UCLA is the 15th

I know that oos students have a harder time getting in, but do you think the fact that Iā€™m from Massachusetts will boost my chances at all?

@musiciangoaler One of my friend actually got a LL from Harvard and just got waitlisted by UCDā€¦

@musiciangoaler @yjliu @lilyfullford The UCs actually donā€™t. Different interpretations of the admin criteria means each UC looks for something different. UCLA would never get decisions out in time if they had to coordinate with other campuses. The thing is the likelihood of getting into cal and UCLA is extremely low since the events are independent. UC Davis practices something called yield protection. If they feel youā€™re too high and are likely to go somewhere else theylll waitlist you so you have to write another essay. They use that to gauage the waitlisted students seriousness. Being OOS isnā€™t a boost. You are held to a higher standard than in state students. Doesnā€™t matter what state.

Obviously getting a LL from Harvard means the student is outstanding. My school counselor told me that UCā€™s like UCR and UCD often times reject or waitlist high standard students because they know that these students are treating the school like a safety. My sophomore year, I had a friend who got rejected from UCD but accepted to MIT EA.

I feel that more CSU and UC campuses are doing just that with high stat applicants. What is troubling is that some of those kids might fall through the cracks. And since these schools donā€™t coordinate with each other one kid might get waitlisted to all CA schools they applied to. Again this college process is unpredictable. You need some luck on your side.

I have a question. Iā€™m on the top 9% of whatever itā€™s called. I applied to seven UC campuses (no riverside and Merced). If I got rejected from all the seven I applied to, will the UC system give me a spot to any of the campuses? Cuz I heard that itā€™s guranteed for the UC to provide a spot for the top 9 students. Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong. Thanks. And good luck everyone!!!

@liaaa ā€¦ UC Merced is the fall back UC for the top 9 % of ELC students. So if you dont get into any of the seven UCs you will be offered admission to UC Merced, even if you didnt apply there

@DD2019 I see. thanks:)

i applied to three UCā€™s and got in berkeley regents & irvine honors but im nervous for UCLA! Do you think if I got the alumni and regents offers, i will get in?