UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

Were we already supposed to have received the email to create a myApplication Status account already?

When UCs release number of application received by each campus?
Last time it came sometime December 2017, hoping to see the application numbers sometime this month.

@FirstGenZ yes. Check spam

when do regents invites come? Not expecting but hoping lol

@eGregarious:

This information on how UCLA reviews applicants may help answer some of your questions. UCLA does look at your UW, Capped weighted and Fully weighted UC GPA.

* LOS ANGELES

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores
  • Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence, AP/IBHL exam scores
  • Note: GPA, test scores, course work, number of and performance in honors and AP courses most important. Essay considered. Strong senior program important. Extracurricular activities, honors and awards also reviewed. For the College of Letters and Science, the applicant's major is not considered during the review process. The Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science admits students by declared major, with more emphasis on science and math programs. The School of Nursing also places more emphasis on science and math programs and requires the submission of an additional supplemental application. The School of the Arts and Architecture; Herb Alpert School of Music; and the School of Theater, Film and Television admit students by declared major (within the school), and put more emphasis on special talents through a review of portfolios and/or auditions, which are the most significant admission factors for these schools.

Gumbymom,

Will UCLA consider significant achievements /awards during first term of Senior year
 and if so how does one communicate this?

Thanks in advance

@Sunkings They will not. It is usually only something you can report if given a supplemental. Otherwise you are judged based off of everything until junior year. All other applicants are subject to the same restraints so it shouldn’t make a large difference either way.

Thank you

Any supplemental questionnaires yet?

@SeniorSzn Soon, but you shouldn’t hope for one. They are sent to borderline applicants and the university needs more information.

@10s4life May I pls know when do they send out regents invitations? Also does receiving one mean we are admitted into ucla? Thanks!

@Suave123 You get regents notifications when you are admitted so there is no invitation. UCLA uses your UC app for regents.

@10s4life I was wondering whether they would send it in February. Years back they sent it around late Jan/feb- has that process changed?

@10s4life What do you think the chances are for 4.0UW/4.39UCW, 1560 SAT, Chem major, pretty good ECs, essays, work experience, 19 honors/AP courses, but no “hooks”?

@memelover123 No not that I know of. The volume of applicants is very high so please be patient. When informed things about your app the school will give no signs or warnings ahead of time so please check your emails including spam folders. Otherwise its just guessing.

@collegemom111111 Those are very good stats, your kid seems like a great student. For majors in the College of Letters and Science (which includes chem) major is not a factor for admission. If admitted your child is technically undeclared until pre reqs are met. Unfortunately I can’t comment on whether that can get someone in or not because students with lower and higher stats get in and get denied. What I can say is the higher the stats are above the 75th percentile of admits the better the chances of getting in. Stats can easily be found on the UCLA undergrad admission webpage.

@10s4life Thank you. Sounds like it’s a “maybe” for us. It’s interesting how classes at our high school are marked as Honors but not not recognized by UCs as Honors. Wish we had known that earlier. Taken LOTS of honors classes that won’t count (for the UCs), thinking at the time they were weighted the same as APs since our HS counts them the same.

@collegemom111111 are you saying those honors courses are not weighted as per UC? (Meaning they are still considered as normal 4.0 for UC gpa?)

@Suave123 Yes, that’s what I’m saying. They’re considered Honors classes at the high school, but UC counts them as regular, i.e. getting an A is a 4.0 not a 5.0.

@collegemom111111 @Suave123 Also the GPA is capped at 8 semesters of honors credits for most UCs anyways.