UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

@BeCheap4me2 I would tell you to go to the open house and see if that clarifies things for but, most likely because Easter and Passover are late this year, the majority of schools are having their open house on the same day.

UCD - April 6 https://www.ucdavis.edu/admissions/undergraduate/events/decision/freshman
UCR - April 6 http://highlanderday.ucr.edu/

UCLA - April 13 https://bruinday.ucla.edu/freshmen
UCSB - April 13 http://admissions.sa.ucsb.edu/visit-ucsb/open-house
UCSD - April 13 https://blink.ucsd.edu/sponsor/triton-days/
UCB - April 13 https://calday.berkeley.edu/
SLO - April 13 https://orientation.calpoly.edu/oh2019
UCM - April 13 https://admissions.ucmerced.edu/admissions-events/bobcat-day

UCI April 20 https://admissions.uci.edu/discover/visit/celebrate.php

@lkg4answers Thank you. Yes, even SCU is that same weekend. Makes it confusing!

I got accepted to UCLA, along with UCSD and UC Davis. However I accidentally reported two of my grades as A’s instead of B’s. This is because I took these classes online with a different grading system then my school uses (90-92%) are B’s, whereas at my school they would be A’s. When I filled out the UC application I was using my unofficial transcript, which listed the classes as A’s. However, I later saw my official transcript which listed the classes as B’s. Will the UC schools rescind my offer of admission? What can I do to make sure that doesn’t happen?

@BeCheap4me2 SCU will certainly have some advantages that should be seriously considered in your situation. Small class sizes, right smack in the middle of Silicon Valley and access to so much tech, very quiet on weekends, lots of recent emphasis on Engineering. Beautiful dorms and buildings. Generally cheap on merit, but can be generous for really high ranking kids.

@BeCheap4me2 FYI son also admitted to CP SLO & UCSB/UCSD/UCI but WL @ UCLA. Our son is choosing CP SLO (assuming UCB is out next week) FYI re: changing majors, that’s the ‘myth’ about CP but not the reality from what we’ve learned on their parents forum and in talking to engineering dept. You can change ‘pretty easily’ within the CENG and they lay it out very clearly. I can’t post the link but google “change major within CENG cal poly” and it’s the first link. What he likes is that it is a ‘follow the bouncing ball’ process, not at all subjective. RE: ADHD, the disability center on each campus would be my first call/email if I were you - find out what they can do to support your son as that could be huge. The fact that all freshman are in triples at UCLA was enough on it’s own for our son to be questioning UCLA even if he had gotten in vs WL.

@LilApple: You need to contact the UC’s about the grade mistake since they will compare final transcripts with your self reported data. Any discrepancies will be grounds for being rescinded. Make sure they acknowledge that they have received your email and keep any documentation. They may need to go back and review your application so just be warned.

@Gumbymom How about if I have a planned after school course which was planned to take during this semester and then I couldn’t take it? and then I reported it to UCs and they said they will add the change to the applications for all the UCs I applied. It happened several months ago. So my question is am I safe if I already did this by informing them by months before decision? (the only documentation about it was the email responses)

@WilliamCollege yes and they don’t really care if you stick to your planned classes or not.

@ProfessorPlum168 thank you for the info and reply. He is accepted for Civil ENg. at SCU, and has literally NO interest in tech. He wrote his essays about how it is ruining society
so given that, what do you think? I liked it there, but the Civ. dept. is really small. Is it an afterthought of sorts to the tech/cs eng world? Everything else you say sounds good.

@j678jgpo Oh I didn’t know that. I thought planned courses are important. Btw we only had to report a-g courses, right? not classes like PE and health

@Bridge19 Thank you for the advice. Yes, we need to look into the counseling etc
at each, because anxiety/adhd/ocd stuff will come up. Brilliant, but like many of us comes with a side of things. The “triple,” scares me too
how can anyone learn/sleep/get anything done?

@infotime your S is a highly accomplished young man and you should rightly be proud of him. More importantly he has a great attitude towards this entire process, which admittedly is frustrating and feels like a lottery. He will get into a great school and 4 years from now, you will be even prouder of him getting ready for his graduation.

I would normally not comment as I use these forums more for more information than to engage in a discussion. But reading your post, I decided to write my thoughts.

First, some info about my S who was admitted.

ACT: 35 (in 1 sitting in fall of Junior year)
SAT subject test: Math II (800), Physics (800), Chemistry (800), Spanish (760), and 1 more that I don’t remember which was 750+. Never took a test more than once.
Has taken a number of AP tests. I believe all 5 though there may be one which is a 4. I don’t have the details. He is planning to take a few more this year.
GPA: I don’t have the number (as you can see, I am not a helicopter parent). I think he may have 1 or 2 B’s, otherwise all A’s
EC: He does a lot. Involved in a few clubs, all in officer positions. He is part of the student government, works closely with the school administration and has been a strong advocate, even getting support for changes that students demanded.
His biggest passion is debate. Captain of his debate team and a top ranked debater in the country (top 10).
Essays: I believe they were good (he told us about the topics he covered) but he never showed them to us for critique, preferring to work on his own application.

But here is the point that I wanted to make. In his essays, he wrote about his passions, what drives him, his accomplishments and what he wants to do in the future. But unfortunately, the kid has had medical issues his entire life (something he was born with). So he talked about it, as how it was harder for him than others, but it didn’t deter him and he overcame the obstacles. Is that a “feel good” essay, as you claim? I don’t think so! It’s the truth and it shows something about him.

Now we are OOS, on the East coast. He has never even been to CA. He just decided to apply to 4 UCs and has heard back from 3 of them (admitted to all) and is waiting for the last one to report. It is highly doubtful that he would go to school in CA as we would prefer that he stays closer to us in the East coast (partly driven by his medical issues as we would like to keep an eye on him). You should feel blessed that you don’t have to deal with such a variable in your decision making process. He knows this and said that he would at least like to visit the schools in CA which we are seriously considering.

There is no need to feel bad for him. He has a number of great options on the East coast and will know by the end of the week about the rest.

I went to an Ivy. My elder D goes there and my S decided that he didn’t want to even apply there as he wants a different school than his sister, which is understandable and fine with us. Over the years, I have known the Dean of admissions at my alma mater. This is what he told me and there is a lesson in what he said. After decisions are sent out, I get calls from parents whose kids didn’t get in (I suppose his phone will be ringing next week!). Most (if not all of them), start comparing the stats and accomplishments of their child, against kids who got admitted. This is not how the admission process works. Otherwise they would simply write a computer program where the application would go in and a decision would come out. There would be no need for an admissions office. So trust the process, let them do their job, and most importantly respect their decision. Despite your unfavorable comparison of our system to China, the US universities have produced the best talent for decades and I firmly believe, will continue to produce that talent for decades to come.

Finally, congratulations to all that were admitted. To others, do not lose hope, you will all go to great schools. And remember, just getting into the school is just the beginning. While there, you have to work hard and take advantage of all the opportunities that the school offers, otherwise there was no point of getting in!

@WilliamCollege: Since you contacted the UC’s, they acknowledged the change with an email, my next step would be to contact UCLA admissions (if you plan to enroll) and double check that they received the information. You just want to cover all your bases.

@Gumbymom Thx I will email them or call them to confirm. also just to be clear, I didn’t have to list classes like PE and health (non a-g courses) in my app, right?

@WilliamCollege just academic classes if I remember correctly. They honestly just wanna see you’re still trying in school and not taking a bunch of off-classes

@WilliamCollege: As @j678jgpo stated, it should just be the a-g academic courses listed on your application.

@Ranipetgirl Yes that’s correct on engineering waitlist.
@Luyanzzz Everyone in L&S isn’t even in a major yet so you can “switch” every day if you’d like. You’re all undeclared. The major is just to guide you for class selection at orientation.

Have Regents scholars already been informed? I just went on to see my application and it says the General application is incomplete. It said complete earlier. I am hoping this is just a glitch. Has anyone heard about regents? My acceptance does not say that I have Regents.

@BeCheap4me2 I’m living in a triple right now at UCSD, but living with 2 other people isn’t that bad. You just need to communicate with your roommates, “hey I’m gonna sleep, can you be quiet”. More likely than not, they’ll understand. As for studying, I find that I’m able to drown out the sound by listening to music. If that doesn’t work, the library is a great place to work.

@BeCheap4me2 , is it correct that your son has a full tuition scholarship at SCU? I believe you also said elsewhere that you could possibly swing room and board freshman year at UCSB which is within commuting distance, but he’d need to commute the remaining three years.

If that’s the case, it doesn’t sound like the other UCs or Cal Poly are truly affordable, and unless your son would rather commute to UCSB for three years or just doesn’t like SCU, my advice would be to take the money (from SCU) and run. It has most of the qualities you’ve listed, may be better suited for someone with ADHD than his other choices for reasons mentioned by @ProfessorPlum168 , and room and board should be roughly equivalent to in-state tuition at a UC.

You know your son, but IMO, it would be difficult for most students to go from living on campus to commuting. It’s necessary in some cases, but if he takes advantage of the full tuition scholarship, this doesn’t sound like one of them. SCU also has a great reputation in the the Bay Area, and an an extremely strong alumni network. If your son ends up wanting to settle in the area, he should do just fine in the job market, in or out of tech.

Best of luck.