UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

@“Bay Area Mom 2016” I do not. I only know admission questions for L&S and engineering admissions. I am not trained in financial aid or the other professional schools.

Does anyone know what the acceptance rate for admitted students was this year?

@10s4life yes and I did just it is saying preliminary only for the community college one.

For those of you who are current students, can you guys comment on your social life on weekdays and weekends at UCLA? Ive watched so many vlogs on youtube and I always notice people just walking and roaming alone in the background of the videos.

What things do UCLA students do in LA? Does a lot of the socializing happen in dorms? Westwood is pretty expensive so what are other places UCLA students can venture out to?

@letsgorams Thursday’s: fraternity parties
Friday-Sunday: apartment parties in Westwood
Roccos tavern
Barney’s beanery
Or they’re going to target or getting food

@10s4life is anyone studying? :slight_smile: :smile: but honestly, you’ve all worked so hard to get there.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

@gzza73 We went to UCLA on Sat. March 30th. Unfortunately this was the end of Spring Break for the school so the only dining that was open were the restaurants above the Bruin store. Actually, the only thing we found open up there was Panda Express and Jamba Juice. We ate at Panda, I’ll say it ranked in the upper 7-8 out of 10 when compared to other Panda restaurants we have eaten at. It was a bit spicier than most but it was not too spicy.
The dining halls were closed due to Spring break.

I’m hoping we will at least be able to eat at one of the dining halls on Bruin Day.

@10s4life we have the provisional financial aid statement, do you know when we will receive the official one? also on the statement there’s a $400 for transportation. do we have to pay that even if we do not plan on using any forms of transportation other than our parents driving and us ubering?

@teambyerline thanks! Yeah I think there will be a couple dining halls open on Bruin Day. I just wanted to see if they were open during admitted your. Any other info you can share about dorms or in general?

@collegeappsznnn The provisional is basically the official one. The only stuff you have to pay is tuition and board. Everything else is an estimate. Some spend way less others spend way more.

@gzza73 Everything’s Open now. Dining halls serve lunch 11-2. Dinner is 5-8

@10s4life thanks! We’ll be there tomorrow for admitted tour and then back next weekend.

Where would I find my financial aid statement? I know I will not be given and money. I.e., grants. It will only be loans.

If I play a sport ( track) will I be assigned to a dorm with other athletes ? Or can I choose a roommate that is not on the track team ?

@4college2K19 friends I have on D1 teams were typically placed together either in rieber terrace/vista or deneve.

How long does a typical L&S student study per night? I want time of extra curriculars and working out and socializing and do not want to be completely swamped with academics all 11 weeks of the quarter

@letsgorams You’ll get students who study 40 hours per week. Others do none. I typically do work for about 1-3 hours per day.

@10s4life wondering if son is in L&S as a Physics major but wanting to take a number of computer science courses, will he realistically have access to those classes since they are in the college of engineering? We can’t seem to find whether UCLA offers a Computer Science minor. or would double major be an option? and if so, how does that work if you are in two different colleges?

@10s4life I wish we could add meeting you to our Bruin day schedule…thanks so much for all your help!! And if you do want to set up a CC meet and greet, don’t be shy, we’ll ALL show up ?

@Jaderoses PIC is the math departments CS group. He can take those classes. They are similar to CS courses in the engineering school