UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

@BeCheap4me2 1400 SAT, 3.8 UW GPA, and Undeclared Social Sciences! I applied everywhere else for film, so all my other schools were film schools. I’ll be attending UT Austin in the fall b/c of UCLA’s OOS tuition lol

@cooltimes Thanks for letting me know! Good luck and congrats. UT Austin would have been a top choice for my son, but OOS because we live in CA! :slight_smile:

@10s4life I have a Microsoft surface book 2 which was a graduation gift. What are your thoughts of this device?

What are the chances of having a roommate request granted after May 4th? Hoping of finding a potential roommate during NSO.

@Cumpqua 0. That’s way too late. That’s a great laptop. Enjoy!

Due to the fact that plaza triples have one bathroom shared with either 3 or 6 mates, is there also a communical bathroom on the floor?

Is the New Student Orientation mandatory?

@ngopalan – see info below from UCLA website

"We strongly encourage you to attend UCLA’s New Student Orientation. There, you will learn about the campus, become familiar with many of the services available to you as a Bruin, meet with academic advisors, enroll in your first-term classes, and much more.

You will receive information on New Student Orientation shortly after you submit your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR). Beginning May 6, 2019 at 3:00 p.m. PDT, you will be able to sign up for a session using MyUCLA.

If you cannot attend a New Student Orientation session you will still need to contact the New Student & Transition Programs office so that they can advise you on how to enroll and other critical matters. You will also need to complete an online module for mandatory health education.

newstudents@college.ucla.edu

(310) 206-6685

UCLA New Student & Transition Programs
201 Covel Commons
Box 951401
Los Angeles 90095-1401"

Not attending NSO means that you get last pick for classes. Spots are only reserved for each of the orientation sessions. It doesn’t matter which session you go to. Just that you attend.

@Cumpqua You will learn to have a schedule with your suite mates it works out. In some plazas there is a small half bath on the floor.

Will an East coaster feel out of place with such a heavy CA presence at UCLA?

@Sojourn3 No there’s a big OOS presence at UCLA. And in the end people are people. What state you’re from doesn’t really matter. Some of my closest friends at school are OOS. It’s not something I And most people think about when making friends.

Do we have any finality re. move-in dates, or know when that info will be made available? It looks like it has to be the Thu - Sat before the week classes start (so 9/19 - 9/21), but I’m reluctant to make travel arrangements without more solid confirmation.

I just got my housing offer and got a Plaza Triple (shared bathroom) on Sunset village. I will be filling out a CAR, but I was wondering how likely it is for me to change from this plaza to a classic triple. I really can not afford a plaza. Also, how soon can I expect for them to get back to me? is there anything I can do to speed up the process or guarantee that I get the classic triple?

How if I don’t accept the housing offer now, can I still get one at a later stage?

@Adian268 No the 3 year housing guarantee only stays in effect if you meet all deadlines continuously

Did you originally ask for a classic triple ? Was it your first choice ?

I received my second to the last request for housing, I received a plaza triple with a private bath in Sunset Village as a Freshman… My first choice was a classic triple. Really concerned housing there will be anti-social and impede my ability to make friends/ have the traditional freshman experience. Can someone please advise me on this? Is there a way to appeal the housing process?

@djbidjmurh Read these comments from other UCLA students about SV plaza…
“It tends to be quiet, but there are still lively people that are super social and fun! You just gotta find them. It’s a nice area that doesn’t require a lot of stairs LOL and they have large lounges I think. I think you’ll be able to appreciate the peace and the ability to still have a social life there lol some dorms can be really loud 24/7”

" I’m a current junior and I can say with full confidence it is FINE in terms of being social
Every hall is social in its own way"

Also, inorder to switch your room assignment, you will have to find someone that is willing to switch. For example, if you want a classic then the person who was assigned the classic must be willing to take your plaza. I have read many students on Facebook requesting to switch.

Have you joined the UCLA class of 2023 Facebook? This might help

@10s4life Hi. I received my housing offer but when I was about to complete the payment contract I noticed that even the two summer installments for July and August were part of the payment even though I will not be attending UCLA until September. Why is that so?