UCSD Class of 2026 Waitlist/Appeal Discussion

How fast do waitlist offers arrive after May 1st?

Waitlist admits will start anytime spots open up. It can be prior to May 1 if many students decline their admission but more likely May 2nd or later.

2 Likes

what time did UCSD and UCSB release their waitlist last year or years before?

UCSD closed their waitlist on June 25 last year and according to the CDS did not accept anyone.

UCSB first started admitting off the waitlist on May 17th last year and closed their waitlist on June 25.

4 Likes

thank you so much

1 Like

Just as an update, we visited CalPoly SLO & UC Davis this weekend and she is fully committed to being an Aggie! We were super impressed with UC Davis and all they have to offer - she can double major in Design & Cog Sci (or Science & Technology) and/or add a minor in Comp Sci. Hoping your student has made some headway in their decision making:) Now I wonder if the universe will complicate things by taking her off the waitlist at UCSD lol!

2 Likes

Congratulations to the future Aggie!!! Thank you for sharing the good news. The option she has regarding the majors sounds just wonderful. My crystal ball can see that she will be very happy at UC Davis :wink: We were at UCR for Highlander Day this past Saturday. I’m sad that we didn’t get to visit UCD or Cal Poly. We did attend UCD’s local meet and greet, but I hear it cannot compare to the actual campus visit. We might just make a trip prior to commitment day :smiley:

My son still has not made a decision, although he’s leaning toward CPP as it is close to home and we can save some money for graduate school. Now if the universe grant him a spot at UCSD, then we’d have to revisit the college budget talk again. Haha.

2 Likes

Best of luck to your son !

1 Like

D decided to accept her UCI (Earth Science) offer. She had 1 rejection (Pomona College); 6 acceptances (Vassar; UCI, UC Santa Cruz, UCR, CSULB, CSU Fullerton), 2 waitlists (UCLA and UCSD both for Marine Biology). She opted in the waitlists but is not expecting a miracle. So sad, because UCSD Marine Biology was her #1 choice.

4 Likes

I hear you!! Heartbreaking indeed! I wish @m63 and the rest of the good folks here the best of luck as we all wait and navigate, pivot and repivot sitting down with our kids regarding Plan B, C, D and timelines for each. i.e. June 30 is the given waitlist date for UCSD decision. That is so late as we are encouraged by the other colleges to have “back pocket” option and submit our SIR by May 1. Nothing is guaranteed of course.

2 Likes

when/how have waitlist decisions come out? (waves, dates, closing dates, etc)

You can check previous years discussions to see when the waitlisted students were notified. Historically, the waitlist admits dates, the # admitted and when it is officially closed varies from year to year. It all depends upon how many spots are open so please SIR to a school and move on. If there is a decent amount of spots open, admits will be notified in waves but if only few spots are available then more of a trickle. Last year no waitlisted students were admitted.

Not sure if this question was answered earlier in the thread, but what are my chances of getting my first choice major (Data Science) if I get off the waitlist? I heard that most people who applied for a capped major and got off the waitlist were admitted undeclared.

You are waitlisted for your first choice and if your 1st choice major is capped, you have less of a chance. However, until you are admitted off the waitlist, there is no way to know. In the past, some waitlisted students were admitted into a capped major.

“we can save some money for graduate school” resonates with us. My D22 is leaning towards Cal Poly SLO (she even got $3k per year merit scholarship - not much, but anything helps) and is declining offers from Purdue, UIUC, UMich, UDub which were in her shortlist (as usual the top tier UCs are not being fair to the kids who have worked hard for the last 4 years at High School - students with less stats/ECs getting admitted while D22 is waitlisted/rejected).

Bottom line: going to Cal Poly SLO would save us dollars (less tuition, less travel as SLO is just 3 hours drive for us etc.), which will help pay for graduate/PhD (D22 is passionate about doing research in the biomedical field to make a difference in the lives of people with disabilities).

We (as a country) need to have a better system of college admission process. This is putting too much stress on the kids. We have commercialized/commoditized it like everything else.

7 Likes

Cal Poly Slo is a great school. Agree, the public California university system is broken. My D got waitlisted by 5 California schools and rejected by 4. Did not fit the profile of getting an advantage. 4.5 weighted, 11 AP classes, 4 year Varsity softball player, 5 year travel softball player, co found an environmental club, lots of other EC’s. In the end, she was looking to stay in California, but will now attend University of Washington (great school, but weather and cost not ideal).

Your daughter’s profile is excellent. I wonder who got the spots.

UCI’s waitlist just got out, wonder when UCSD will release.

1 Like

Agree - her profile is great and very similar to my daughters. There are equally competitive students with similar metrics, but hearing students with lower stats and EC gain admission while these deserving students get rejects is heartbreaking. I don’t think it is even wholistic review. My daughter is very passionate about focusing on helping people with disabilities, expressed it in her essays, worked on building a prosthetic hand prototype as her school projects, volunteered more than 200 hours in a hospital nursing station. I can’t imagine someone not understanding why she wants to go into BME and the effort she has put into it (UW 4.0, W 4.68, NMF etc.). I am angry at myself for encouraging her that the UC system will understand her passion to serve disabled people through her application essays, academic achievements, and ECs. It particularly angers me when i hear about fellow students with less stats who are just going into BME because it seems to be fun and have not worked towards it. We are failing our kids.

2 Likes

We visited UDub last week. It looks great. Our concern is same like yours - weather and cost. We are warming up to Cal Poly SLO. It will be a miracle if UCSD comes through for my D22 (especially considering it is for BME).