UF vs. UM

<p>What are the major differences? I'm talking about more of the college experience and not academically...</p>

<p>isn't Um much smaller. It seems like you're set on uf so I won't really try to convince you. I believe um is closer to the beach also.</p>

<p>im not set....i just want to know what everyone thinks hahah you can try to convice me</p>

<p>I find it funny that the "U" is diverting almost all resources to the Undergraduate Program. Meanwhile the UM Business and Law Schools are tanking in the overall rankings. Besides the Miller School of Medicine they do not have a single descent Graduate Program (BTW: UF Medicine is ranked higher, and is harder to be admitted to).</p>

<p>The only reason they shot up the rankings is because they had a very successful Capital Campaign a few years back. But the fact of the matter is that UF's latest Capital Campaign will be even more successful than what was ever seen at Miami.</p>

<p>"Sun Tan U" can brag about their hearty curriculum all they want, but it still does not change the fact that UF is better for Engineering, Pre-Law, Business, Education, Pre-Med, etc...</p>

<p>Jeez, the Florida homers are almost as bad as the Michigan homers</p>

<p>UF is going to be mostly Florida residents while UM will have many more students from all over the country and the world. It's probable that the students that go to UF are more budget conscious since it is a state school vs. a private school. However, you will find a population at UM that are really bright and got great scholarship money. UM does have nearby beaches where many students relax on weekends and South Beach and Coconut Grove are popular weekend party destinations. I would imagine that UF's weekend partying takes place more on campus. Both schools are very spirited and sports oriented. Frats and Soroities are really big at UF. The size of UF makes for a very different experience. I have heard that it's hard to get individual attention and you tend to feel more like a number. UM classes will be smaller and advising will be easier. You will get the classes you need at UM, at UF it will be harder to do so.</p>

<p>Due to the poor economy UF is being hurt by budget deficits. Classes will grow even larger and it will be harder to get required courses when needed and harder to graduate within 4 years.</p>

<p>I'm talking more about the party scene and school spirit?? what about that? and overall happiness</p>

<p>"Due to the poor economy UF is being hurt by budget deficits. Classes will grow even larger and it will be harder to get required courses when needed and harder to graduate within 4 years."</p>

<p>You are right the economy is bad in Florida right now, but it should get better in about 2 years. Meanwhile UF is cutting 4,000 undergraduates to make up for this factor. In addition the legislature has agreed to raise tuition to the public university national average in a very short time (from 3k a year to almost 10k a year). The additional tuition revenue will be substantial. Also don't forget that UF id surpassing it's goal of raising over $1.5 billion in their latest Capital Campaign.</p>

<p>I don't know who told you that University of Miami Law School is tanking,but they always had a fine law school ESPECIALLY in tax law.</p>

<p>University of Miami School of Law was ranked 65th overall 2 years ago, and now they are down to 70th overall. Whereas Levin College of Law is ranked 47th overall and has the 2nd best tax program in USA.</p>

<p>In a few years Stetson College of Law will be ranked 3rd best overall in the state (behind Levin & FSU Law).</p>

<p>So what: University of Miami has a slight advantage on the SAT for incoming freshmen the last 2 years. I am sure that UF will be ahead in the near future (the process is cyclical).</p>

<p>UF has a stronger endowment, better graduate programs, more researh expenditures, and a far more successful alumni base (we are 3 times the size). We also have a better overall athletic program. Sun-Tan-U is overrated, and is only a good option for lazy rich kids who could not get into a Top 25 private.</p>

<p>SSobick-The Op was asking for helpful, factual input. You are not providing that. Calling people you don't know names like "lazy" doesn't provide any objective, useful information. Size does not equal success. Graduate research programs do not equate to undergraduate research opportunity. Do you have any news articles or personal experiences to share? If not, it's time top move on.</p>

<p>I already stated that the Miller School of Medicine was quality, however UF Medicine and Shands are better.</p>

<p>Ssobick, just based on cost, for instate folks, I generally like Florida better for a number of programs. HOWEVER, with state budget cuts, all state schools will be cutting back many programs,which will negatively impact Florida as well as many other state schools.</p>

<p>Also, Miami, does have a number of advantages despite the cost differential. They are a combination of the best of what is found in a big state school yet also the best of what is found in a much smaller, intimate environment. This means that they have a huge plethora of majors and have a number of course offerings in each major; yet, they generally have smaller classes than that of Florida. </p>

<p>In addition,where would you rather live: Miami or Pensacola? I can tell you that as a professor, Miami would be greatly preferable for social and family reasons. </p>

<p>Finally, south Florida has many more folks of wealth living there. Thus, Miami has a much better ability to garner a higher endowment in the future. In fact, over the years , Miami has significantly risen in the rankings far more than Florida has risen. Miami clearly is an institution on the move.</p>

<p>"Finally, south Florida has many more folks of wealth living there. Thus, Miami has a much better ability to garner a higher endowment in the future. In fact, over the years , Miami has significantly risen in the rankings far more than Florida has risen. Miami clearly is an institution on the move."</p>

<p>First point: UF is in Gainesville and is rather close to Jacksonville, Orlando, and Tampa (and a number of beaches).</p>

<p>Also UM only has a $730 million dollar endowment (which is tiny for the more reputable private institutions), and is nearly half the size of the UF Foundation. Miami shot up the rankings because it is easy to shoot past lazy institutions that have no stake in growing it's reputation. IF, UM breaks into the Tier 1 category they are going to have a heck of a time inching up even 1 spot per year. Basically the competition gets 1000x more difficult when one gets into the Top-50. </p>

<p>Your point that wealth in South in Florida equates to giving at UM is ridiculous. In all honesty you will not out-fundraise UF, not in your wildest dreams... Compare your alumni base to UF.</p>

<p>Sun-Tan-U
List</a> of University of Miami alumni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>The Flagship University
List</a> of University of Florida people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>Miami is a smaller school, but it is in a big city which affects the experience at the school rather than being within an hour or two of three big cities.</p>

<p>Who cares if UM is ranked 51st by US News and UF is ranked 47th? They are so close that students should not worry about it. Go to the school that best fits you and what you want your college EXPERIENCE to be like: looking at the student body, programs offered, size of classes, the surrounding area (city/suburb/rural environment and whether a car is needed to get around, etc.)</p>

<p>Here's basically a rundown of UF vs UM, as unbiased as I can make it:</p>

<p>UF is huge, UM is medium-sized. UM has everything that a large school has to offer (huge athletic program, large course selection), without the drawbacks of a large state school (smaller classes, feeling like a number). The largest classes I know of are 180 students and it's only Evolution of Rock and Evolution of Jazz cause those classes are awesome and there's such a high demand for them. Other than that, you'd be pressed to find a class with more than 100 students, and even that's rare. My classes right now have 35, 16, 14, 13, and 7 students, give or take.
With the economy the way it is right now, both schools are suffering, but UF is suffering more because it is a state school. Not that this should determine your decision, but it's a difference.
UM has a lot more students from out of state and is a lot more diverse. I believe it's the fourth most diverse school in the country. Diversity was huge for me when looking for a school, so this is one of the things that drew me to UM. There are all different types of people and cultures at the school and in the city as well.
Which brings me to my next point, UF is in a college town, UM is the suburbs(ish) of a large city. There are great things about going to school in a college town and great things about going to school in a city. We have Coconut Grove and South Beach and Gainesville has their college bars and house parties. With that said, UM is for the most part its own little bubble in Miami and there is a feeling of closeness within the chool. It's all a personal preference.
Greek life at UF is huge and you pretty much need to be in a fraternity/sorority to have a social life. Only 20% of the UM population is Greek. Something to consider.</p>

<p>Basically, if you're looking for that big school, college town atmosphere, go UF. If you're looking for a city and to become more cultured and have more options for weekend activities, go UM. Honestly, both are great, fun places to go to college and you'll probably be happy at either.</p>

<p>And to the person who said UM kids are all rich and lazy, you apparently haven't met many of us.</p>

<p>FACT - UF has more internation students in comparison to the University of Miami. Overall UF has 3,921 total.</p>

<p>In addition UF is one of the most diverse public universities in the United States.</p>

<p>27.2 percent of the UF student body represents minority populations with 8.4 percent African Americans, 11.6 percent Hispanics, and 7.3 percent Asian-Americans or Pacific Islanders.</p>

<p>The University of Florida is ranked second overall in the United States for the total number of bachelor's degrees awarded to African Americans, and third overall for Hispanics. UF ranks fifth overall in total number of doctoral degrees awarded to African Americans, and second overall for Hispanics, and third overall in total number of professional degrees awarded to African Americans, and first overall for Hispanics</p>

<p>"With the economy the way it is right now, both schools are suffering, but UF is suffering more because it is a state school. Not that this should determine your decision, but it's a difference."</p>

<p>Both universities are going to suffer in this economy. Whereas UF is cutting 4,000+ undergraduates to make up for the budget reductions. In addition the legislature is allowing UF to raise tuition by a disgusting amount in a very short time. Besides UF gets alot of money from Federal Grants ($538 million last year to be exact).</p>

<p>I can guarantee the demand to attend University of Miami will decrease in this economy.</p>