UMiami-type of people here?

Hi,
I’m a prospective applicant to the frost school of music for vocal performance.
I like the music school but I’m concerned about the general feel of the University. Basically, I go to a very rigorous and competitive rich kid school, and I don’t like the environment at all. I am preppy and I come from a wealthy family; however, I don’t like how everyone at my school is type-A, competitive, uniform, judgmental, and stressed all the time. I feel like all people talk about are who’s going with who to homecoming.
Basically, I want a school where people are a lot more down to earth, friendly, and generally kind. I’m also not hugely into partying, but I will want to do at least some in college (with light drinking but never drugs). Are people at Miami too stuck-up and into partying? That’s just the stereotype I’ve heard.
Thanks!

Update: I also would want people to be hard working and really passionate, and care about school, but not incredibly stressed all the time.

If you are at the bottom of a music program there will be stress all the time. And you could be frustrated you are not getting the performance opportunities you strive for. It doesn’t matter if you are rich or poor, come from a prestigious high school or local public school. Your experience at Frost or the school you pick will come down to your ability to work well with your professor, your dedication to work hard (and harder than your classmates) and to earn every performance opportunity.

What professor can help take you to the next level musically? Do they have a track record for placements after graduation?

The social aspect of the U or whatever school you attend is hopefully not the driving factor of your choice. It is a component of fit.

You describe typical high school, regardless of wealth. People in college won’t care about your high school status, wealth or high school awards, clean start wherever you go. My public educated Midwestern child is doing very well at Frost. If you get in, you are very good. It doesn’t mean you’re the best. My daughter has never described Frost as competitive, just hard, but loves it!

To be honest you sound like a perfect fit for UM given your wealth and desire to not be in such a competitive environment. However, I’ll warn you that it’ll be difficult to find others who aren’t that in to partying. UM is known for having a lot of drug arrests so I’ll just warn you. Of course visiting will be the best way for you to get a feel for the school.