UMichigan Class of 2027 Official RD Thread

It’s not that different of what they have done in the past just new wording. Don’t read into it. Follow what they say. Go somewhere, maintain your GPA and attempt to transfer in. They are giving the option to do it before Junior year. Many get accepted during sophomore year but usually if you transfer as coming in as a junior they don’t look at your high school record or scores. Contact admission tomorrow and ask

3 Likes

No. He did not get the sophomore transfer letter. His was the standard consider transfer at the junior level. My son took it upon himself to transfer as a sophomore and was successful.

6 Likes

That’s really great he could go as sophomore. Did he transfer from another college or CC?

It’s his journey and he seems like he knows what he wants. Congratulations to your son!

2 Likes

Annoy them
They deserve it

1 Like

Yes just started. So far she seems very good. Prior was going to be Northwestern President but passed suddenly due to pancreatic cancer. Very sad.

3 Likes

Lauren, my daughter (who graduated hs last year) got the exact same letter. It’s for real, but we don’t know anyone else you got it.
We are in state, and she did the dorm thing for a semester at a different in-state university, then moved home this semester and is taking transferable classes at community college. (We would’ve been fine if she stayed at the first university but it wasn’t clicking for her. She wanted to be a Wolverine!)
She just got her official acceptance to start at UMich Ann Arbor in fall on Monday as a sophomore and is absolutely delighted. And we saved some money this semester for sure—every little bit helps.
Happy with how things turned out.
Good luck!

4 Likes

And you are correct this is a relatively new thing they are trying out. I did a little research and saw some East Coast universities were doing a bit of this as well.
I just remembered— my daughter’s friend was waitlisted, and then, very close to the beginning of the school year (fall 2022) was told he could start as a sophomore with the transfer promise. He went to CC this year and is starting st Michigan in the fall.
My guess is one reason the University has to be more selective at freshman year is because they can only offer so many freshman general ed classes. So will give an opportunity for kids who were right on the cusp of acceptance. They get in as a sophomore, but have already taken things like English comp and other general ed requirements that are relatively universal and not specific to their area of study.

1 Like

To @Knowsstuff it is different. See the wording of the letter. My D’s wording was same.
If your student gets the sophomore “transfer promise” in writing (it’s the second half of the rejection letter, basically), completes two full time semesters as a freshman, maintains at least 3.2 in college, and no grades under C, they are promised a spot the following fall. There is no need to “attempt” to transfer; it’s cut and dried based on achieving those criteria.
My daughter did have to officially submit an app by Feb 1 but didn’t have to write new essays (I think it was optional)—did have to submit fall college grades with the app and request to have spring grades sent when final from her CC. UMich seems to have accepted her on good faith she’ll have a great 2nd semester as well. Received a congratulation and welcome letter not mentioning the stipulations again. I suppose they could yank the offer if she had a bad semester, but she’s excelling.
Sorry for the long posts, but trying to offer knowledge here that I couldn’t find on my own last year. Hope it’s helpful for other students getting the “promise.”

4 Likes

Oh, I didn’t see it as a guarantee. So yes this would be different and great.

2 Likes

Q: is there legacy in the family/alum at UMich? This guaranteed transfer is something that I am seeing here with other schools, but that opportunity for an early transfer is extended only to legacy students of (parent, grandparent or sibling.) Curious if that is what Mich is offering in these instances, too. It’s interesting and a great offer! Congrats to your girl!!

He’s currently at an out of state university

Interesting thought about legacy. My son received the guaranteed transfer offer at Boston University last year and he is legacy, but his friend got the same offer and there is no legacy. So at least at BU that is not a requirement, although it no doubt helps.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m happy for her.
No, neither my husband nor I went to Michigan, nor did our parents.
I really think this is a new thing universities are trying out to accommodate more students after freshman year. Maybe from a business perspective, it balances out some of their attrition as well after freshman year, if they have much of that?
I think it depends on the circumstances of the student. My daughter was pretty clear in her Why Michigan essay that Michigan was her first choice, and I believe that came through. Perhaps they wouldn’t extend the offer if they thought that someone would just move on.
It’s not for everyone. Some kids may want to settle in to their chosen university, rush for Greek, etc.
I am glad that she went to another university for a first semester, because she was hundreds of miles away from home and came back way more independent after just several months! But she decided the first university wasn’t for her. And she felt why waste mom and dad‘s money on dorm and tuition if she was just going to go to Michigan anyway.
Now she drives to community college every day from home until she transfers to Michigan in the fall. She already found a house off campus with some other students with lease starting in August. All is well that ends well.
The purpose of my long screed is I think it’s important for people to see there are other options. Sometimes things don’t work out the way you want them to, as in not getting that initial congratulations letter, and sometimes you have to pivot. On that note there are some very good community colleges in Michigan that work with students to ensure they’re taking the right classes for transfer. Michigan also gave her a suggested list of classes to take, including some in her major. Her admissions counselor worked with her through the process and has been very responsive.

5 Likes

I don’t understand this. They’re in the reach category for a reason - you seem to be implying annoyance that they weren’t accepted by multiple schools where they had no greater than a 20-25% chance? What about those results makes you not have respect for the process?

4 Likes

Along these lines, I had heard (or read) that if you get into all reaches, you’re not reaching high enough.

2 Likes

By whom? Citation needed. There were no widely disseminated university rankings prior to USNWR’s execrable lists showing up in 1983. Cartter’s original 1966 American Council on Education report ended up in the hands of academics and few others, and they discontinued after a second 1970 version was even less widely distributed than the first. It was also solely focused on graduate departments and produced to help the National Science Foundation determine where to put its research money. Studies and surveys that came before those had decidedly unsophisticated and uncomprehensive methodologies, mostly counting Who’s Who names and the like, and are generally unavailable today, anyway. USNWR picked up the concept in the early 1980’s and was the first to make it continuous.

1 Like

LOCI to Michigan? Is it allowed? I don’t see anywhere to upload anything on the portal anymore. How do you accept a spot on the waitlist?

Anyone know the acceptance and waitlist numbers for the last round?

The WL link/offer was in the waitlist letter on decision day.

As far as the LOCI … our counselor told us that we need to follow the directions and only send grades or awards. Others may be told something different, but we were told to follow the instructions in the waitlist letter. (And that there’s slim to no chance of a wl accept)…

1 Like