UMichigan Class of 2027 Official RD Thread

Well most would consider the quality and esteem of the faculty to be the most important aspect of any college rankings. My source The Rise of American Research Universities: Elites and Challengers in the ... - Hugh Davis Graham, Nancy Diamond - Google Books

A widely used study was published in 1970.
https://libserv.aip.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=16805A385S91V.1490&profile=rev-all&uri=link=3100006~!7555~!3100001~!3100002&aspect=power&menu=search&ri=2&source=~!horizon&term=A+rating+of+graduate+programs&index=ALLTITL

Hi all, our DD was waitlisted for LSA but she was admitted to Georgetown SFS so it definitely softened the blow.

Does anyone know how they go through the waitlist? The FAQ says students are not ranked
so how to do they determine who gets offered a place when a spot opens up in LSA?

Stats: In state; SAT 1460; 4.0 uw GPA, started a non profit, MUN president, lots of leadership/volunteering; great LORs

Accepted:
U of Toronto
Queen’s U
Western (Ivey AEO)
MSU
George Washington
Georgetown
IU (Kelley)
UG (Warrington)

Rejected:
USC
Yale

I don’t have specific insight, but I would think they will look for similar profiles to students who declined acceptance.

I am sure the algorithm is more complicated, but the reason they don’t rank the waitlist is that they want the incoming class to continue their resemble the class they shaped with admissions. The shaping includes so many things that they will want to keep balanced: in state/OOS, male/female, number in each college, financial need, geographic distribution, URMs, and much more.

So if more in state students than expected declined, or if more LSA students declined, etc., the wait list students who are extended offers may be similar to your daughter.

1 Like

Those are the second edition of the exact publication I discussed upthread, and a treatise chronicling the historic evolution of American universities as a system (while the available first 30 pages are intellectually quite interesting, they are not a recitation of actual rankings and there doesn’t appear to be an appendix with the old School and Society lists from the 1930’s, etc.). Maybe they’re buried in the other chapters, which I note start with the 1960’s?

You stated: “Through most of the 1900s thru the 70s Wisconsin was ranked higher in liberal arts and sciences than UMich.” Your narrative - due to some budgetary or other political reasons UW gave up rankings superiority to Michigan after the 1970’s - is reliant on college rankings having always been widespread and methodologically similar to today. They clearly have not. At minimum, “through most of the 1900s” seems to have no basis, when discussing actual rankings. There is simply no comparison to the methodologies of Forbes and THE to those used a hundred years ago.

The timing in your narrative sort of raises the burden, I’m afraid, seeing as how as soon as there were repetitive, comprehensive rankings, UW’s been ranked behind Michigan every time, beginning just a few years after the 1970’s ended.

If you had simply claimed that Wisconsin was widely viewed as being as prestigious, and by some observers even more so, than Michigan up until 40 or 50 years ago? That’s a different thing, may be a reasonable read of Graham and Diamond, and I don’t think anyone would take issue with it even after you dropped into a discussion titled “UMichigan Class of 2027” to assert it. Though it’s about as relevant for upcoming college students today as mentioning CCNY’s 1950 NCAA basketball title to a young hoops prospect. :wink:

1 Like

The most recent data is for the incoming class of 2026, and is in section C2 of Michigan’s 2022-2023 Common Data Set.

Last year, Michigan offered waitlist spots to 21,078 applicants; 15,076 applicants accepted a spot (72%), and 77 were offered admission (1%).

2 Likes

Anyone else got the email from Ross about the results?

Where do you see that?

1 Like

How was he already rejected off the waitlist?

Would you be willing to connect with me on this topic?

Sorry if you already answered this but when did you receive the promise letter? Was it in June when the waitlist closed?

1 Like

I meant deferred in EA, then not admitted or offered waitlist with this last decision release.

I mean email from them about when results are coming

Wow and you already got that email this year? I thought it was only after the waitlist closed in late June and they email you that after not being able to offer a spot.

Pages 38-40 of “The Rise” by Graham and Diamond (1997) discuss the prior rankings from 1925 -1970. Your assumption that there has to be sort of ranking system consistency is unfounded. They reflected the thinking at the time. Nobody has yet come up with the ultimate ranking system and nobody ever will. The 1925 rankings had a top 10 of chicago, harvard, yale, wisconsin, princeton, jhu, umich, ucb, and cornell. Have things really changed that much?? Not really. Even USNews admits they know the acceptable results first and then tweak the system to yield the correct results. Gaming is rampant and cheating might be. So much for reliability over time.

Correct. He received the letter on March 31, 2023.

2 Likes

Completely crazy that you would offer waitlist for 21,000 applicants and then only offer 77 people a spot. It would have been better to just reject them and be done with it.

3 Likes

Did she also get the letter pretty early on or was it after umich had finalized waitlist decisions in June?

2 Likes

Right. It hurts holding on to a tiny bit of hope but time to move on regardless

Michigan is not the only school guilty of this - my son had 8 waitlists last year and every one of them was as ridiculous as Michigan’s!! Just crazy! It did help his ego in the short term, but really just prolonged the torture

4 Likes

It was the second half of the rejection letter that she got last year in late March or early April. They also provided links to how to plan out her freshman year someplace else for transferable classes. If you look at that wording Lauren shared the letter said the exact same thing last year.
However, her friend is also transferring in as a sophomore. I think he got off the waitlist right before classes started and had already enrolled in CC. I’m not sure if his situation was entirely the same as the “sophomore transfer promise.”