UMichigan Class of 2027 Official RD Thread

Do we know if there will be an end of February early March round LSA OOS?

3 Likes

This article was posted on the admissions blog yesterday, if there is anyone here who is postponed:

Interesting that Michigan would post this. She continues to say “reach out” and “stay connected” but it seems that this year Michigan only wants to hear from deferred applicants through the continued interest form.

1 Like

I was thinking the same exact thing (and posted that in the EA thread)

2 Likes

It clearly contradicts the University instructions. Which begs the questions – what do they really want from the applicants?

1 Like

And our applicant is a rule follower so will not reach out to the regional AO. I guess what will be, will be. My hunch is that they are right and it’s best to follow the directions stated this year

1 Like

I am a like-minded rule follower. And I prefer a straightforward, sincere process. This blog post shared on the University’s own admissions site doesn’t leave me with that impression. It is problematic. At least
it is to me.

2 Likes

The blog post is just one student’s opinion. Not an official statement from the admissions office. Until two years ago they didn’t even ask for a LOCI - they appear to have their own process, and probably don’t want students unnecessarily bothering them.

I know students last year that made no additional contact and were accepted after postponement. This blog’s author cannot know with certainty that her additional constant contact made the difference for her.

1 Like

True-it is a post by about an individual experience. But is shared on the admissions office website. It perpetuates ambiguity of what’s expected of the applicants. Of course no one REALLY knows how the university makes its final decisions. I suspect there are different calculations that go into building a class that go far beyond scores, grades and geography. But I wish they’d take a stance and stand by it with clarity and conviction. Clearly I’m an idealist. I’ll have to accept that there may (or may not) be murky alternatives.

3 Likes

Sure, but the admissions office posted the article!

4 Likes

My kid did, but they applied end November.

I think my main takeaway from this article was to fill out the continued interest form + contact regional AO. I know someone who got in after continued contact soooo that’s what I’ll be doing.

Our AO told the guidance counselor that they discourage students or anyone contacting to express interest outside of the LOCI form

My daughter received one as well and applied in November.

1 Like

We need to fill out continued interest form too. We filed RD. Kid hasn’t written anything yet! I originally thought it was a yes or no question, but it is actually a 250 words essay. She really needs to write it, Can’t delay any more

Why would RD students who weren’t deferred need to fill out a EOCI form?

I guess it is their standard practice?

Possibly because of ED2? They don’t know who may or may not have decided on another school during ED2 or EA (or out of exhaustion) :blush: I imagine it is a way for them to clean up their list.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t think they are asking RD to fill out an ECI. I think their portal system doesn’t distinguish between EA and RD (because they were moved to postponed and now everyone falls in the same category) so the system sent the message out to everyone left and has the form in everyone’s portal by default. I think it is a system flaw but one that is too late to correct. There is no way they want 70K+ applicants to fill out an ECI.
ECI’s are intended for those who filed an application under a early admittance program and deferred. Same for a RD (now both RD and EA’s) who get waitlisted. Not for a regular applicant who just applied.
If someone applied to a ED2 school they are required to withdrawal their applications once accepted. Schools would not ask for a ECI because of the concern for a ED2 applicant.

2 Likes

My daughter is RD and after emailing her AO with an unrelated question they encouraged my daughter to complete the LOCI.

6 Likes