University of Alabama Admissions for Fall 2023

My daughter received the email about being a semi-finalist for UFE on Monday. In the email was the sign-up for interviews which take place next week.

Thanks for the information on UFE and housing!

1 Like

Iā€™m going to the capstone scholars day, if anyone wants to direct message me. I have a few questions lol

How do they notify students if they were accepted or rejected? Is it possible to get an admissions decision without creating a myBama ID?

You might try reaching out to your Alabama rep.

What does it look like when youā€™ve been admitted? Her ā€œstatusā€ says new transfer under ā€œapplicant details.ā€ Does this mean she got in?

1 Like

I believe Capstone Scholars day helped with my daughters decision. According to their AP credit list, with 34 hours, she would arrive as a sophomore and graduate in her first 3 years. As they offer her a 5 year scholarship and the STEM to MBA, she could use an additional semester for a dual major. That time frame would have her graduating in 5 years with two undergrads, CE and English and an MBA. The English degree may help later on in Law School.

1 Like

Will your daughter potentially use 2 years of her scholarship eligibility at Alabama Law? I think this is such an intriguing option, my son is only a little interested in law school, but I love that these scholarships (he has 4 years rather than 5 as he has national recognition scholarship and not national merit) can cover grad school/law school tuition.

Her current plan is to go to a top 5 Law School. Alabama has an excellent Law School, generally ranked 25 ish. If she get a 4.0 undergrad and a 177-180 LSAT, she will try for a top 5. If not then whomever wants to give a Full Cost. Currently the undergrad and MBA is the something to fall back on plan. She is going to need a GRE in 3 years so we are downloading the test right now. She is going to take it as practice tomorrow. And then maybe for real later this month.

Generally, it makes very little difference where you go to law school if you are in the top of your class for almost all law jobs. It matters some in academia, or if you want to clerk for the Supreme Court. The top tier Atlanta law firms, for example, all have Georgia state law school graduates. Now they may well have been (and likely were) number one in their law school class, but they are working alongside the Harvard/Stanford/Yale guys. There are a handful of law firms where a top-five degree is basically an entrance requirement, but most of those firms are full of former supreme court clerks, etc.

It certainly depends on her career goals, but if her goal is to be a lawyer at a top law firm in the Southeast, Alabama will certainly get her there.

2 Likes

Generally a rule of thumb Is that you can get a law job if youā€™re in the top 10% of a regional law school, top quarter of a top 60 law school, top half of a top 20 one (UT) and pretty much everyone at a top 10 one. A friend of mine from high school was a NMF who went to UT Law. He graduated in the bottom half and had to put up a shingle in our small home town. Not that thereā€™s anything wrong with shingles. He ultimately got with a firm and then went back on his own. Others go into sales, have to hustle or teach politica science. Again, nttawwt, just not white shoe law firm with 2000+ billable hour requirement and big bucks.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the alumni child automatic scholarship is stackable onto the automatic diversity recognition awards? Son is Rural Recognition but also child of an alum who has been member of the Alumni Association since graduating. I canā€™t find anything clear about it and wondered if any parents have asked or experienced that. Itā€™s not much money, but it would buy some books.

1 Like

Agreed! My daughter would be coming in with 36 credits from AP/CLEP exams. Plus 20 additional credits would overlap between her major (biology) and the Gen Ed requirements. This would allow her to take on a minor (General Business), and pursue the STEM Path to MBA program (which would also help fulfill the Honors College credit requirements)ā€¦all within 4-5 years. Full tuition merit scholarship for 4 years would cover 80-90% of total costs of getting that degree if she did it over 5 years. She would come out with an amazing knowledge base and practical experience in both a science field and business, with plenty of group project/problem solving skills. Hard work required, but great outcome and high ROI. Seems compelling!

1 Like

My daughter is in the same boat (National Recognition Scholar). Scholarships are stackable in some cases (departmental or Alumni awards), but UA uses the higher merit amount in other cases (competitive merit awards).

Will need to wait a few months to find out, I guess.

1 Like

You should also look at what credits they can take from the CLEP tests. My son had AP and IB credits and then studied this summer for the chemistry CLEP and got 8 credits for that. Heā€™s in mechanical engineering and it counted for his chemistry 1 and his science elective.

CLEP is very easy to do, once they are ready for it. He studied using Modern States online and then we called one of the places listed on the CLEP location site. Three days later, he was there taking the test. It is a computer test and most give you scores immediately after finishing. He knew he had scored high enough for his credits before he left the room. There are no test dates or pre-registration fees. The community college we used did have a processing fee, and CLEP is $89, but it was worth it to us.

4 Likes

Seems very accurate. Next question ā€“ why would anyone want a big law job :joy: (tongue in cheek question from someone who has been there/done that and happily escaped :wink:).

1 Like

I CLEPped my way into sophomore year back in the Dark Ages. I remain amazed that more kids donā€™t know about this. No year-long classes, just take the test.

Chalk it up to College Board marketing, but they own the CLEP tests too, so :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I only learned about it from a friend a few years ago. My son had chemistry in the 19-20 school year, so missed the final quarter for the most part, for Covid. He self-studied for maybe 8-10 hours and scored a 68 out of 80. He only needed a 52. Itā€™s quite the deal!

1 Like

When my son used Modern States 4-5 years ago they gave you a voucher for the clep test if you took their free course.

1 Like

Can you explain CLEP in more detail? How it works, the benefits, etc. S24 is at a suburban HS, has access to AP/honors classes. Very curious what the benefits of CLEP are. Thanks.

1 Like