University of Alabama OOS questions

1. Does the presence of the automatic full tution scholarship result in pretty competitive out of state admissions? Or should those that have the test scores for it not worry about acceptance?
  2. Does U of A have the same deal as most public universities where academics are weighted very heavily, or even the only thing considered?
  3. Does anyone know how long this scholarship will be around(in terms of when they might stop w/ it)?
  4. Would those who would be entirely reliant on the scholarship(I.e. don't getit, won't attend) be at a disadvantage?
  5. Would those intending on majoring in an engineering discipline gain any sort of advantage(I've heard the moneyis divided with the School of eng?)?

Thanks in advance and sorry for spelling & grammatical errors.

Anyone who could answer some of these questions but in the context of Ole Miss or Temple(who I believe have a similiar situation but w/ different requirements) instead of Alabama are also appreciated.

Engineering majors at Alabama get better automatic-for-stats scholarships:
http://eng.ua.edu/undergraduate/scholarships/
(i.e. they get the usual automatic-for-stats scholarships, but also some additional scholarships for being in engineering)

No
Yes
Yes
No, but probably not going away any time soon
No
Yes, more money

All positive answers, good

@bdnation5 You will need to post your questions on the forums for the other colleges/universities that you are looking into. We can only answer your questions for The University of Alabama on this forum.

First, no one can say definitively when the scholarship levels and monies associated with each scholarship level will change. However, based on observation and information, I am confident that UA still wants to recruit high stat students and will most likely continue these extremely generous scholarships. Will the statistics required change in the future? That is a possibility, so aim for the highest test scores possible.

These are the current levels of Out of State Scholarships:
Out-of-State Scholarships for 2016-2017

Capstone Scholar

A first-time freshman student who meets the December 15 scholarship priority deadline, has a 27 ACT or 1210–1240 SAT score (critical reading and math scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Capstone Scholar and will receive $14,000 over four years ($3,500 per year).

Collegiate Scholar

A first-time freshman student who meets the December 15 scholarship priority deadline, has a 28 ACT or 1250–1280 SAT score (critical reading and math scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Collegiate Scholar and will receive $16,000 over four years ($4,000 per year).

Foundation in Excellence Scholarship

A first-time freshman student who meets the December 15 scholarship priority deadline, has a 29 ACT or 1290–1320 SAT score (critical reading and math scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Foundation in Excellence Scholar and receive the value of one-half tuition or $51,900 over four years ($12,975 per year).

UA Scholar

A first-time freshman student who meets the December 15 scholarship priority deadline, has a 30–31 ACT or 1330–1390 SAT score (critical reading and math scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a UA Scholar and will receive the value of two-thirds tuition or $69,200 over four years ($17,300 per year).

Presidential Scholar

A first-time freshman student who meets the December 15 scholarship priority deadline, has a 32–36 ACT or 1400–1600 SAT score (critical reading and math scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Presidential Scholar and will receive the value of tuition or $103,800 over four years ($25,950 per year) to be used towards undergraduate or graduate/law studies.**

Second, if you have the statistics for the level of scholarship you are aiming for, you will receive that scholarship based on the latest scholarship requirements. In other words, apply to The University of Alabama, get accepted and meet the scholarship requirements (for whichever level you are qualified), and you will receive that scholarship. Make sure to meet all deadlines for application, scholarship application and documentation.

Third, The University of Alabama College of Engineering gives their students an addition stipend.

There is no competition for the scholarships, apply and be qualified and you receive the money.

Scholarships are based strictly on the student’s statistics, not extracurricular activity. Your GPA and Test scores are what qualifies you.

I am not sure I understand your question #4. If you mean: are there other costs which are NOT covered by the scholarship, then yes, there are other costs, The scholarship covers tuition. You still need to cover room/board, books/supplies and transportation. Don’t forget, day to day living expenses like toiletries, clothing, dorm room provisions, and entertainment. There are ways to cut the Cost of Attendance but some of these items are fixed costs like the Freshmen (all you can eat) Food Plan. You could use the engineering stipend to help with these costs but you (and your family) will still need to be able to pay some monies.

Are there any other ways to reduce costs further and would working be a necessity?

Becoming a NMF greatly lowers the cost the first year. the NMF Scholarship adds $3500 per year , as well as covering room and board for the first year as assigned by the housing department.

As stated above your first year meal plan is a cost that is required. Beyond that the greatest expense is your dorm room choice and that can significantly lower your expense. That cost can range from around $5k to almost $10k per year.

Working as a necessity would be determined by you family situation. Talk with your parents about what they are able/willing to contribute.

My parents won’t be contributing anything due to circumstances. Anything that isn’t covered is my responsibility.

The federal loans that may be available to you and a less expensive dorm will go a long way in helping close the gap. Many students work part-time on and off campus; UA recommends that freshman work no more than 10 hrs/week, although I know that some work more than that. A good job (or jobs) the summer before starting your freshman year should help, too! Best wishes to you :slight_smile:

So would you say that its reasonable to go to Alabama on a full tuition scholarship+$2500, be successful as an engineering major, and graduate debt free, or with a very small amount of debt, w/o any contributions from family?

Full out the Net Price Calculator on EVERY college web site to which you plan on applying. Each college figures their need based aid differently. These are only estimates, but you can get a ballpark figure on how much money they will expect you to contribute.

@bdnation5 Without Any family monetary contribution, there are a lot of factors to consider. You need to speak with your parents and see if they can contribute any money at all. Also, you need to decide now how you will cut costs. Are you willing to do without certain things to accomplish your goals. Some of the items you may have to do without: extra trips home, clothing you don’t already have, extra spending money/pocket money, a car, suite style housing, going out with friends to restaurants etc., new textbooks, room decorations, a new computer etc.

You can cut costs by using whatever you already own such as: clothing, shoes, computer. You can entertain yourself for free, you can use public transportation, and you can rent or buy second hand textbooks. You can make good use of the freshman meal plan, which is required. Of course, you can also work. Are you eligible for any financial aid besides loans? You will probably need to take out some loans, unless you have other college savings, so you will probably not graduate debt free.

<<<
So would you say that its reasonable to go to Alabama on a full tuition scholarship+$2500, be successful as an engineering major, and graduate debt free, or with a very small amount of debt, w/o any contributions from family?

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

Are you low income?

I’m not sure that I understand your question. If you ONLY had the full tuition scholarship plus the 2500 per year, WHAT would pay for the other costs? (room, board, books, etc)???

With no contributions from family, I think you’d be hard pressed to graduate debt-free even with the Presidential Scholarship and the engineering supplement, unless you qualified for Pell and/or had a really high paying job or some significant savings. I don’t think it’s necessary to graduate completely debt-free - it’s OK to have a reasonable amount of debt.

Yeah, I was asking if a combination of the scholarship+other types of aid+a job would be significant enough to cover most(or all) stuff. Yes my family is low income, from what I understand I certainly qualify for a Pell Grant, and have no savings. I may be able to receive some money from my father, who doesn’t live with us and doesn’t support any children, however that’s a questionable source and he doesn’t make a ton either, so the amounts won’t exactly be thousands and thousands a year.

Another suggestion is working on campus. There are plenty of jobs if you are work study or just wanting to work. Also if you enjoy people and can follow the rules, becoming an RA is a great option. You get free housing and a small stipend every month. However it’s extremely competitive and it takes a special person to be an RA. Just some options (:

Well thank you everybody, I’ve pretty much gotten the answers I was looking for.

Be sure to submit FAFSA as soon as you can after Jan 1st, even if you have to use estimated numbers and go back later with true numbers.

Do you work now? Did you work over the summer? Save all that you can in advance to help lighten the load later. Apply for any outside scholarships that you may be eligible for. Choose the traditional dorm. Move off-campus in an efficient apartment after freshman year and watch your spending on food.

Freshman year, you will have room, meal plan, fees, books. The scholarship covers tuition plus $2500 (engineering). Look for the Cost of Attendance for UA to determine what they estimate those amounts to be.