University Of Alabama Q/A With A Current Student!

Hi guys, I am currently a sophomore here at UA and I just wanted to start a thread for anyone who has any questions about what it is like attending Alabama. I am an out of state from NY double majoring in journalism and finance and involved with many organizations and clubs on campus! I am happy to answer any questions anyone may have about the University so fire away!

Thank you for doing this. I have a few :).

1. If you had a choice between the two: Burke or Friedman Hall?
  2. We are out of state and will be flying to UA. Any advise on how to move in to dorms when driving is not an option?
  3. With all involvement in clubs and organizations, do you have time for a part-time job?
  4. Do you have experience with Hillel?
  5. Any advice about going or not going back home for fall break?

Thanks.

I’ll try to answer them to the best that I can!

1. I lived in RidgeCrest but I had a few friends who lived in Burke and have not known anyone who has lived in Friedman. I would go with Burke because it has it's own dinning hall in the lobby while Friedman is very far from any dinning hall, also it contains a little connivance story and a volleyball court. Both of them do have suites as well. Friedman also doesn't have an elevator and access to some of the rooms is outside, like a motel.
  2. I flew down as well and my parents rented a truck from a car rental service at the airport (Aviss, Enterprise) which made moving in very easy. We also do everything thorough Bed, Bath & Beyond and it was so simple. You go to a store by your house and they give you a scanner and you just scan whatever items you think you need and they will have it waiting for you when you get to Alabama (The Bed, Bath & Beyond was in Birmingham but it wasn't an issue since that is where the airport is and they are opening one in Tuscaloosa!). I think it will be pretty hard to move in without renting a car.
  3. I don't work but If I wanted too I am sure I have time. I know many people who work and are still involved quite a lot on campus. It's just about scheduling.
  4. I am Jewish go to the Hillel for the holidays. I am not very religious so I really only go for Yom Kipper and Passover but they do an amazing job for each! The women who runs it is very nice and welcoming and we do anything to make you feel at home. They also have events almost every week so you can be really involved if you want too. Also, they are always giving out free food!
  5. I have went home for fall break both years I have been here, one as a surprise and the other due to a personal family matter. I don't think it is necessary to go home during the fall break. It is expensive and very short. Plenty of students stick around for the break so it's not like you are the only one.

Hope that helped and if you need anything let me know!

You can ship boxes to your box number at the Ferg and they will be waiting for you at the mail center on move-in day. They will even deliver the boxes to your dorm room when you claim them.

To the OP - what’s a typical weekend look like?

I’ve never had a dull weekend here at UA and there is also something going on. I am in a fraternity so we usually have a party either Friday or Saturday night but no worries if you are not Greek! Girls can get in to Greek parties no problem while with boys it’s not so hard as long as you know someone (or most of the time I just walk in lol). Besides Greek events, plenty of people have parties and get together over the weekend. As a freshman I also spent weekends hanging out in the dorms with a bunch of people. It really helps to join clubs and organizations as well since many clubs I am in hang out together during the weekend. Now besides Greek and house parties, you also have the strip and downtown both loaded with tons of bars that usually host great music acts. A lot of the bars are 19+ so you don’t have to be 21 to enjoy them. If parties and bars aren’t your scene, don’t worry! Tuscaloosa is home to a movie theater, several bowling allies, and a bunch of great restaurants and stores! The Tuscaloosa amphitheater also holds concerts from top naming artists! Now, weekends are much different when there is a home football game. Friday’s are usually the same, just with more Greek parties, but Saturdays change entirely! The Quad fills with tents and thousands of people and everyone gets together to tailgate! It’s never a problem finding somewhere to tailgate as mostly each club has their own and anyone is usually welcome. Of course if you go Greek you’ll have your brothers or sisters to tailgate with. After tailgating most people head to the game which is quite easy to get tickets to as a student. After the game most people head to the bars, parties or friends houses to celebrate the win! Weekends here at UA have never been boring to me and there is something for everyone! You don’t have to party and drink to have a good time here either!

Also speaking of sporting events, in the spring many students go to the Gymnastic meets, basketball games and baseball (all free for students)

And for readers not familiar with Tuscaloosa on post #5 above “the Strip” has nothing to do with removing articles of clothing – it’s the local name for the shopping & dining area closest to campus. :slight_smile:

What was it like moving from NY to Alabama? My dad’s concerned about me making the move from CA and experiencing culture shock

We are from Calif. There is no “culture shock”…unless you’d be shocked by friendly people. But you’re from Calif, you should be used to friendly people.

There are over 900 students from Calif at Bama. There are just too many OOS students at Bama for the school to feel different from a school elsewhere.

Have you visited? You and your dad need to visit. He will love it so much, HE’LL want to go to Bama.

BTW…did you get your letter from the College of Eng’g for the rest of your award?

@howtosaveuhlife‌

I found there was a little bit of a “culture shock” but that is too be expected moving from NY to AL and none of it was bad, just different. The South does things differently then other parts of the country and has its own customs and culture but it is nothing to be worried about. I have loved learning about southern culture and history and I love that I get to experience life somewhere else but like @mom2collegekids‌ said, there are many OOS students, in fact this year marked the first time out of state students out numbered in state and there are many many students from California. My mom had the same worries too being I am from NY and Jewish but I fit in here perfectly! There is such diversity on this campus that you will find your place. This campus is very inviting and welcoming. I was also happy to see the overwhelming support for gay and lesbian students on campus too since the south doesn’t have such a good rep with that. I won’t stay down here once I graduate, but for college it is amazing! Definitely visit with your dad and see how you like it! @howtosaveuhlife

[QUOTE=""]
The South does things differently then other parts of the country and has its own customs and culture but it is nothing to be worried about.

[/QUOTE]

:slight_smile:

Yes, of course there will be some “different stuff” going on in the South, just like when we encounter different stuff when traveling in other parts of the country.

I still remember visiting my brother who lives in Washington, but by the Canadian border. The McDonalds served vinegar with fries. Shocking? well, sure it made a memory that I’ll never forget, but I think the word “shocking” should be reserved for truly uncomfortable stuff…not just “different stuff”.

And, I still remember when I first moved to the South that I noticed that there are a gazillion banks, animal hospitals, and pharmacies. I’m from Calif, but we don’t have a bank, pharmacy and an animal hospital …and…oh…BBQ…every 100 feet like it seemed the South does.

The point of going OOS is to experience “different stuff,” right?

@mom2collegekids‌ Thank you, that is reassuring. My dad did say he had no doubts about the school itself, but rather areas around it. I have not visited, we are waiting for the rest of my decisions to come out in March.
And yes I did get my other letter. :slight_smile:

@DustinG95‌ Thank you, that is good to hear! Also nice to know my parents weren’t the only ones a little unsure of the change. Thanka dor your thoughts, I appreciate it.

And I agree that going OOS is to experience different things. I thought college was a perfect opportunity to get to live somewhere completely different for four years!

Thanks again, I appreciate the comments.

Awesome thread, reading every word…

Do you have any insider information about sciences (particularly Chemistry) or the Honors College at UA?

The intro-level Chemistry classes flat out suck. The professors do not really like teaching them. Advise to take AP, CLEP, College in High School, whatever to avoid.

While mandalorian has some good points, I believe like most research universities some professors only teach because they have to. Having said that, science classes require a lot of work outside of them. There are some easier professors but overall you get out what you put in. I have a lot of friends who are science majors like biology and chemistry and they enjoy it a lot more than those who arent interested in it.

The honors college at UA is amazing if you become involved. I know many of my friends are heavily involved in things like the honors college running club and other honors related things. The honors classes are super fun ways to make friends and get involved like attending art events in the area or making paper or taking photos and editing them. Also priority registration is a blessing. You can avoid 8ams and get decent classes.

^^^
THIS.
It also saves time to complete your major requirement, if it is science major.

OP, would you ever consider studying abroad or know anyone that has? I am very interested in UA as well as studying abroad. Any information that you may have heard through the grape vine/ experienced would be appreciated!

my son went to USC and it was disappointing to hear about teachers in math and science classes that he could not understand because they had such thick accents and then the teachers assistance hardly spoke English and did not coordinate well with what the teacher wanted on the tests. Is it like this at Alabama?