University Of Alabama Q/A With A Current Student!

I have only heard that about a few profs at UA. That problem seems to be more common in Calif schools. That has been a complaint about Calif schools for as long as I can remember…even back in the 70s when I was in college in Calif.

The intro chemistry CH 101 is needed by so many students, that the chemistry dept ‘services’ other majors and in many ways dislikes having students that are really not ‘into’ Chemistry, but fulfilling a requirement or pre-req. I do know that one or two professors did care and actually had group tutor time outside of regular class time to assist struggling students. A lot of students did drop with low grades before the drop deadline.

DD had both chemistry and AP chemistry in HS (but didn’t score high enough on AP exam) - she said the chemistry prof sort of talked fast over some of the technical material (over their head), and also there are so many rules and exceptions to chemistry rules that the devil is in the detail. DD did get a B in CH 101 and was happy with that grade. Some students take Chemistry at CC at home rather than at UA.

If you have had HS chemistry, be prepared to work hard at UA CH 101. If no HS chemistry, take it at CC.

@hspmom, I think it’s a pretty common experience for introductory STEM classes. I also think what’s “hard to understand” for one student, isn’t as big an issue for another.

Every English speaker here in the US speaks with some type of an accent, and those for whom English is a second (or later) language, the accents are likely to be more pronounced. My son had a lot of instructors in this latter category, but he didn’t find them nearly as hard to understand as I think a lot of his classmates did, as he was used to those accents from growing up in the Northeast and to a lesser degree in Southern CA.

Where possible, read the student reviews on Rate My Professor and “consider the source” posting. Try to find those of students who sound like yours. One student’s “horrible, unintelligible” instructor may be another’s “brilliant and patient.”

Part of maturing is learning to “hear” folks who come from different backgrounds than you. It can be challenging, but it is a necessary skill in most professions.

I’ll emphasize that students who are already familiar with certain accents will likely have no issues understanding instructors who speak with those accents. The instructors with harder to understand accents are usually quite aware that their accent might be hard for students to understand and will try to speak slower and repeat things.

UA also has a few instructors and staff members with very strong southern accents, which some students might find difficult to understand.

“UA also has a few instructors and staff members with very strong southern accents, which some students might find difficult to understand”

Really???

Absolutely. If you’ve never spent time in the Deep South, the accent can be, initially, quite challenging. I had a similar experience when I visited the UK–it took me several days before I could clearly understand a lot of people, especially when traveling near Scotland. Heck, I still can’t understand most Scots even though I adore the accent.

Check this out–it’s pretty funny: http://www.thejournal.ie/maps-americans-pronounce-different-words-938575-Jun2013/

They don’t really speak English in Scotland. They speak Nessie.

@DustinG95 My daughter is thinking about a sorority but she is not into drinking (a purest only water and milk ) Is there a Christian sorority or what sorority would you say is the most conservative? Or should/could she skip the sorority. My son went to USC and wasn’t going to join a fraternity at first but over half the people in his dorm left on the weekend (going home or to fraternity party) so he ended up joining one. Also what about an honors program?

I find that r e a l l y, r e a l l y funny that some of y’all find it “challenging” and “difficult to understand,” southern accents. (Spoken very slowly with all vowels and consonants fully enunciated.) Bless y’all’s hearts.

Does the school have storm shelters and sirens for tornados? Do you know if they have safe water stored?

@hspmom the school has sirens and are prepared for storms. There is a Christian sorority. Your daughter sounds a lot like I was freshman year. I chose to rush the Christian sorority ADX. But ended up dropping. If you need any specific questions answered or if your daughter wants to talk about it to a current student, feel free to PM me.

This issue isn’t with those who speak “very slowly with all vowels and consonants fully enunciated.” But I hope you realize not everybody anywhere speaks that way, especially in casual conversation. And it’s not like all Southern accents are the same either.

BTW, many non-Southerners are also well aware that “bless your heart” isn’t always meant as a nicety.

Still laughing at the thought that someone might find a southern accent “difficult to understand” or compare it to a non native English speaker. Seriously? My comment was meant with the same humor I found in this dilemma.

I don’t know, some of those callers to the Paul Finebaum show sure give any foreign professor a run for their money as far as “difficult to understand” goes :slight_smile:

Roll Tide, everyone! Next Question?

Okay, a question from my son. He may not Rush. He wants to be in Student Government. How is being a SGA member looked at by the student body, and how hard do people campaign for executive positions within the SGA? Thanks!!

@3dogs3kids, I’ll see if I can find a parent of a current SGA member to respond. Stay tuned.

Is being a part of the Million Dollar band and CBH doable?

@bandmomof3 yes my roommate was in CBH and million dollar band. it might depend on your student and their major. She was an English major but seemed to work well under pressure of balancing everything. Also the hardest parts of CBH aren’t during football season from what I saw with my 3 CBH roommates.

He would be a ME major.