University of Alabama

I am interested in going to ua however I have heard the cost of attendance listed on the website includes the most expensive dining/ room and board. What is the cheapest a person from out of state can go to Bama?

You should post your question in the UA forum. You can reduce your “room” cost by living off campus with roommates. By not buying a meal plan and purchasing/preparing food yourself (and not eating out), you can reduce the cost of “board”. Of course, you can also reduce your “indirect” cost, such as transportation ($2,940) and “miscellaneous” ($2,390).

Whatever you do, be reasonable, when estimating your cost. Make sure it’s affordable.

Good Luck!

A friend’s kid is going to Alabama next year. Freshman are required to live on campus (if not commuting from home) and you are required to buy the most expensive meal plan. Subsequent years you can downgrade meal plans.

Moved to UA forum

The cheaper housing choice (standard double) reduces housing by at $4k per year. The other listed items such as book, personal expenses can also be adjusted by renting books and being more economical.

Do you qualify for any merit scholarships? What is your situation?

You can move off campus after frosh year.

What is your GPA? Your SAT qualifies you for the Presidential if changes aren’t soon announced.

Thanks all for responses! Sat is currently 1430 and gpa unweighted is 3.6 weighted 4.6

Ok, so unless the awards change, you qualify for the Presidential. How much will your family pay?

My family will pay between 10-15 thousand

Ok…so with parents $$ and Presidential, you can have nearly all costs covered. You can get a summer job to cover unfunded expenses.

What’s your major?