University of Georgia Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Withdrawal application link was removed for my son this afternoon. Everyone seeing that?

Deferred EA or regular decision?
In or out of state?

Regular decision out of state. What are others seeing?

Says thisā€¦The ability to withdraw and cancel Early Action or Regular Decision applications has been temporarily closed while we prepare to release a small group of First Year decisions. If you wish to cancel your application, please return soon and withdraw your application at that time.

Thatā€™s what mine says too. I wonder if it means anything. Did you apply EA or RD?

Deferred from EA

1 Like

Any deferred EA or RD applicants still see the link to withdrawal?

My son was deferred from EA too and his portal says the same thing regarding withdrawal. I donā€™t think itā€™s any kind of signal and wouldnā€™t read into it too much.

Iā€™ve been very impressed with UGA and their transparency throughout the process - more than with any other school. They released a statement a few days ago basically saying that the applicants that will be admitted in February are the RD applicants that are excessively strong. The EA candidates that were deferred and RD candidates that fit that same profile will be deferred until the March 15th decision date. So I would plan on being prepared to hold on until March 15th.

As a deferred student parent- I believe you are very accurate.

Still it isnā€™t too far away-

1 Like

Yeah. As an RD applicant I was hoping in might mean I would hear something tomorrow.

But with deferred EA seeing the same message that seems unlikely.

1 Like

OOS Accepted RD for the February round

SAT:1490
UGA GPA: 4.3

9 Likes

Congratulations! Email or on the portal? Fingers crossed for our OOS deferred EA applicant - waiting until March :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I saw mine on the portal

2 Likes

How important do you think SAT scores are in the decision process at UGA?

I think it is just one factor they look at. I donā€™t think itā€™s ever 1 thing that would cause an acceptance or a denial. I truly believe they look at the strength of the application in itā€™s entirety.

1 Like

Per common data set itā€™s third after rigor and gpa. They note itā€™s important. And they note this on their admissions page - these 3 factors. Scores are required, not optional.

And UGAs # s are way up. I would surmise the score is of significance and not a minimal factor. And I would hypothesize that yes, kids get put in the reject file solely based on a poor score.

Iā€™m not admissions but that is my belief.

1 Like

Hopefully, test scores and rigor will help my OOS daughter. Sheā€™s got a total of 13 APs, lots of scores of 4 and 5 on the AP tests taken, a 1530 SAT (single sitting) and a 34 ACT. Whatā€™s been rough is the number of Bs she had in core classes early on. Her UGA formula GPA is only about 3.97, but it should go way up by the time she graduates due to As in AP classes. We are hopeful.

2 Likes

Deferred oos applicant also hopingā€¦ high stats/scores and rigor didnā€™t seem to matter in the EA round.

Yes I can see it

UGA calculates their own GPA which is different, and often much lower, than the GPA on an applicant transcript. To get a real feel of how you fit in the applicant pool, itā€™s important to use their GPA calculation, detailed in the blog. If you have any questions about how to classify a core class or whether a class is core or not read the comments to the blog post about how to calculate it. They only consider grades in core classes.

Also while they look at the entire SAT score they only use Math and English sections of the ACT in determining admissions. Good luck on the 17th!

3 Likes