University of Georgia Early Action for Fall 2024 Admission

This is the official thread for those applying EA to University of Georgia.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

Posted this in the 2023 thread by mistake, but I will start it here too!

EA deadline was yesterday. I predict it’s going to be a bloodbath and my kid will surely be deferred. Good luck everyone! :bone:

EA update: It looks like our EA applicant numbers are at about 26,600 students (57% out-of-state, 43% GA). Slightly up from last year (2-3%), but manageable as far as reviewing files. Please make sure you/your student has all materials in by 10/29, check the status page.

2 Likes

My kid applied from out of state. Hopefully they hear good news!

Go Dawgs!

1 Like

EA deadline was yesterday. I predict it’s going to be a bloodbath and my kid will surely be deferred. Good luck everyone! :bone:

2 Likes

I feel the same!

3 Likes

UGA EA update: It looks like our EA applicant numbers are at about 26,600 students (57% out-of-state, 43% GA). Slightly up from last year (2-3%), but manageable as far as reviewing files. Please make sure you/your student has all materials in by 10/29, check the status page.

2 Likes

Our kid has a high score but GPA is too low to make EA so we’re also expecting a deferral and maybe he can get an acceptance in RD. The bar keeps getting higher so who knows if we can even rely on last year’s info to make guesses. We have acceptances from a few schools and have set expectations.

3 Likes

Looks like 10% increase in in-state EA applicants and a slight decrease in OOS.

4 Likes

Exact same boat here. OOS and just hoping to squeak in for RD. I think for OOS EA, you really need at least a 4.2 and a 1450/33 to have a good shot- but that’s just me guessing.

3 Likes

yep my DS is 4.1 and 1400 so we are expecting a deferral. I don’t know if he will want to wait though. He got into Auburn and he loves Auburn, so I suspect he’ll decide to write off UGA if he doesn’t get in EA

3 Likes

exact same for mine: 4.1 and a 31 ACT. Though she is a 33 if it’s only English+Math and apparently that’s what they look at? Either way, gpa is just too low for EA and maybe even RD. That’s how tough UGA has become. And it’s still only the 3rd most difficult admit in the state of Georgia!

2 Likes

Have you calculated your kid’s UGA GPA? To the best of my ability, I came up with 4.075 for his UGA GPA, which is low for EA. But could be enough for RD for in state. His school reported GPA is 3.7 UW/4.2 W. He has rigor but too many Bs. This year’s kids started high school during Covid and my son definitely struggled. I believe they do only look at Math and English for ACT. He has a 35 for those. So rigor good, GPA not good, score good but not as important as other 2, and ECs meh. Essay, who knows. He did the best he could. The supplemental essay…with the new prompt, again, who knows. Recs are probably nothing stellar.

Best of luck to your daughter!

2 Likes

if they only look at English+Math he’s in trouble. He got a 36 on the Reading, but only a 28 on Math. But he does have a 1400 on the SAT and I’m assuming they consider that instead of ACT if it’s higher.

Yup, I calculated and I’m pretty sure it’s 4.1, maybe that ACT will be the little bump your son needs. I get the impression that essays and recs don’t matter that much. And that supplemental essay prompt was a little rough for sure! She did her best.

1 Like

I think a (36+28)/2 = 32 is still better than a 1400 SAT right?

1 Like

(Under Standardized Tests section I found this line)

When we report ACT test score information, we utilize the composite as listed above, but when reviewing your file for admission purposes we only focus on the ACT English and Math.

1 Like

no he got a 36 on READING. That’s a different section. “English” is it’s own section - he got a 31 on that. of the 4 sections on ACT, the “english” and “math” were his lowest. He scored better on Reading and Science

So weird that they only look at 2. I don’t know how we missed that. We never would have sent in his ACT if we’d known.

Oh, my bad- then for sure the 1400 is better. And funny, my kid’s the exact opposite of yours. Either way, we’re in the same boat!

1 Like

Do you have a link to what the numbers were last year?

1 Like