University of Georgia Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

This blog answers some of this

2 Likes

This statement is telling : we do have a goal of having our enrolling class (not accepted but enrolling) be roughly 80% in-state and 20% out-of-state, so it will be somewhat more challenging to be admitted as a non-GA resident.

How times have changed drasticallyā€¦ I am legacy UGA and unfortunately that has no bearing anymore and my sons chances of being accepted from OOS are slim :disappointed:

3 Likes

That is really sad. I think thereā€™s such value in legacy! For example, the school I graduated from ( Ohio University in Athens, Ohio) provides sons and daughters of out of state legacy in state tuition on top of merit scholarship. I canā€™t answer for those who are legacy in state as I am out of state. I donā€™t know. In addition, the school guarantees a locked in tuition rate for all 4 years for everyone.
Thereā€™s more chances for future donations to the school with these opportunities brought on by the school.

1 Like

The University of California system, the University of Georgia and Texas A&M all ended legacy preferences when they were pressured by lawsuits and ballot initiatives to stop using affirmative action, [according to a Century Foundation analysis]

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry this affect your school.

There has not been any backlash that I know of regarding Ohio. The university values legacy even when I went there back in the late 1980ā€™s early ā€˜90ā€™s. I went to school with so many kids that were multigenerational of Ohio graduates.
The university hosts sibs of current students each year on a weekend in February. It gives the siblings an introduction to the school while having fun activities for them.
I donā€™t knowā€¦.maybe because Ohio is not a private, Ivy or a big SEC school, but it just seems to be working well at that particular school.

2 Likes

Sorry - Legacy at a public school is ridiculous.

A school like Ohio U already offers aggressive merit and isnā€™t a hard get. Legacy may be just be a feel good there but a similar result one could get anyway. And UGA and A&M have a ton of national cred that could get hurt if they admit unqualified applicants on the basis of mom or dad went there.

Public schools should be fair to all but with a bias towards its residents.

Usually public education is government assisted and why should a state pay for some kid who is not a resident - unless itā€™s part of their program to enhance the overall school.

Giving someone admittance just because a parent went there is silly at the public level.

IMHO of course.

1 Like

I am a OHIO University graduate. You arenā€™t.

The school does value legacy applicants. This has been the case for a long time. And there are many multigenerational families who have attended.

There are some competitive programs there that are not such easy admits. Their allied health professions, for example.

2 Likes

Not automatic admissions but in state tuition has allowed many not to be driven by absurd debit especially for young adults starting out.

BTWā€¦. A vast majority of employers these days know a name is not a name like it used to be. Many resumes are being completed without a college name for fear of backlash.

Whatever YOUR opinion isā€¦. Mine is that my older son is proof of making good on his opportunity. He finished in 3 years with honors and is now completing a masterā€™s. This will be another proud legacy representing in the same manner as one nationally ranked.
OU is 219 years oldā€¦. Think they are doing something right.

2 Likes

I just noticed that on my financial portal today there is a scholarship there. It says everything is estimated until June, but Iā€™m wondering if this is an indicator of a real scholarship?

And your son may be legit.

Iā€™m simply stating that at a public institution, one shouldnā€™t be admitted due to a prior familial relationship - in my opinion.

Where did you get access to the financial portal ? All we have is the link to the application portal

I was accepted in February

2 Likes

Are you OOS or in state?

1 Like

My guess is you got a scholarship. They will be issuing more scholarships on Friday with admissions, and for those admitted prior. They will continue to issue select scholarships through early April. Congratulations!

3 Likes

I am OOS

I understand your opinion is regarding admittance.

The school grants a scholarship ONLY IF acceptance is granted.

The biggest issue people have with legacy preference is it tends to act as a reverse affirmative action. When used at elite colleges, it also has the impact of closing the door even more firmly against non-legacy applicants. Of course, there are positives for the school in that it theoretically increases donor loyalty, and also helps predictability of yield, assuming legacies are more likely to attend than other students. There are also positives for legacies, who are majority white, and by definition from a household where at least one parent has a college degree.

2 Likes

a couple clicks will provide the most recent common data set, which confirmed alumni/relations are considered in their decision process at Ohio

Respectfully, can we get back on topicā€¦ which is UGA.

12 Likes

Is there any portal astrology prior to UGA decisions? Any changes that EA applicates noticed before admittance? Thanks!