University of Georgia Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

A lot of US high schools (including my daughter’s) had spring 2020 (major Covid semester) as Pass/Fail. So, there would be no grades for that semester, which would mean later semesters with true AP classes would skew the GPAs higher. Just a thought.

2 Likes

Interesting thought. I don’t know how they handle p//f grades in core classes - do they even include them? But schools that had APs (like my sons) and grades in those classes would get counted.

1 Like

@VirginiaBelle There would be no grades for the pass/fail semester; so, the GPA would have to be calculated using one less semester.

2 Likes

Based on my simple math calculations of the info released this morning and info released at beginning of Nov on percentages of applicants from in-state vs. OOS, it looks like in-state GA residents had a 47%-48% admit rate, while OOS is more like 21%. So, definitely a huge advantage if you are in-state. My dd is OOS. She had a 1530 SAT, but her GPA isn’t in that middle 50%; so, I’m betting she got deferred.

2 Likes

Anxiously awaiting 4pm here! Looks like D23’s UGA GPA is on the lower side of the posted mid range - primarily due to no AP courses Junior year (but took dual credit, above-AP level sciences etc. so should be fine on rigor) and then a high # of AP Senior year just due to the way course scheduling played out. We’re OOS too so keeping fingers crossed!

2 Likes

Best of luck to your daughter. My son is at roughly 75th percentile for all three except APs (he has 11) and in state so hoping for good news but even then there are 25% of admitted students that are higher than him. It’s just a really strong applicant pool apparently.

Be sure when you’re looking at GPA that you re-calculate it using UGA’s formula as that is the number in the graphic.

1 Like

@VirginiaBelle I just want to make sure that I understand the UGA GPA recalculation. UGA doesn’t count the grades kids get in Art and PE (even though those classes are required to some degree to graduate HS based on various state laws), right? Only math, English, science foreign language and social studies, right?

2 Likes

would you say they are a bit more lenient on in states in terms of stats? i meet the 50 percentile for test scores ap but not for gpa, really worried abt getting rejected right away.

1 Like

Correct. Although it’s a little broader than that. For example some classes like AP Econ are considered a social science so they count. Similarly, last year my son took AP computer science. This also counts as a core class. You could have more than five core classes even though there are 5 core categories, if that makes sense. But art, PE, robotics, and similar electives even though required by the state are not counted.

3 Likes

Scroll down to the featured comment at the end of his post to see what courses are/aren’t considered.

2 Likes

Not according to the admissions blog. He specifically says that the range of admitted students is the same for in-state and out-of-state for early action. It will be interesting to see if that changes for regular decision.

Out of 26,000 applicants only 4500 were denied. The rest were admitted, deferred or incomplete. So those are pretty good odds. Good luck!

3 Likes

Good luck, everyone!

D is hoping to get her first college acceptance decision today!

2 Likes

If a student applies RD do they recalculate gpa based on first quarter/first semester grades?

I just noticed this in the comments in the Blog… provided by a student/parent, not David Graves. Interesting stuff.

Some real interesting statistics when you look at similar charts from the previous year’s results:

- GPA has increased from an average of 4.15 in 2020 to 4.27 this year, with an increase from 4.24 last year
- AP/IB averages have remained the same for the better part of the last four years at 10.5
- ACT Score has remained relatively flat over the past four years bouncing between 32.5 to 33
- SAT Average Score took a bump up to 1,440 overall, which is an increase from 1,425 last year and 1,430 in 2021 and 2020

Some information on rates of prospective students includes:
- Total Applications are up 20.5% this year versus last year, rising from 21,570 to 26,001. This is an increase of 57% from 2020’s 16,511 applicants.
- Acceptance Rate dropped from 32% from a high of 43% in 2020, and from 41% last year.
- Deferral rates have increased from 41% in 2020, but the rate was the highest in 2021 at 48%. This year’s class is similar to last year at 44%.
- Denials are the highest in years rising from a low of 1% in 2021 to 17% this year, for 2022 the number was 9% and 2020 was higher at 13%

Of course, this information is just FLAT Averages of displayed data. This does not mean that somebody that hit all of these numbers will get in, or that somebody with better/worse results will be accepted or denied later today.

Only 5 hours and 18 minutes, or so, left until the kids find out the results. Good luck to all!!

3 Likes

Wow. Praise be to that parent for doing all that math😂

2 Likes

They calculate your UGA GPA one time. So if you apply EA they calculate it based on your grades through junior year. Then if you are deferred and send your senior fall grades they do not re-calculate your UGA GPA to reflect that. They do however consider those grades in their decision.

Similarly, it’s my understanding that they wait until after the document deadline which would include fall grades to calculate a UGA GPA for a RD applicant

1 Like

This is my question about the southern schools like UGA, U of SC, Clemson that are so popular right now – where is the increase in applications coming from? Kids putting in more applications overall or moving their applications from another type of school to the southern schools? Not sure that made sense but trying to understand this increase in applications

1 Like

UGA joined the common app a couple of years ago so that is definitely responsible for part of the increase. When Georgia Tech joined the common app, their applications skyrocketed over a few years and their admission rate lowered dramatically My expectation is we will see the same at UGA.

And this is completely non-scientific, but there seems to be a dramatic increase in applicants to UGA from certain states like North Carolina, Virginia and Texas. All three have very well respected flag ships that are very difficult to get into even in state. I think a lot of these kids are casting a wider net, and as their friends and schoolmates end up at Georgia word travels back which makes it more popular as well.

2 Likes

My quick thoughts based on various articles over the past few years… I think David Graves addressed some of this in the Blog as well.

UGA joined the Common App a few years ago

Increase in OOS applications to UGA - David Graves commented that in-state applications used to comprise about 65% of the EA pool whereas this year only 40% were from GA. This could be due to the southern weather or more competitive admissions at their own in state schools…many possible reasons.

Kids are submitting more applications in general - Reasons for this are addressed in USNews article College Apps are on the rise

UGA’s football success - National Champs last year and #1 ranking this year get students excited about UGA! Go Dawgs!

2 Likes

Every time I see UGA stats, I get confused. Is this UVA or UNC or Bowdoin??

I don’t think UGA gets the national love its students qualify it for.

As for why kids are applying South - and it’s the wrong school - but I was just looking up for another parent:

1. Common App

2. Cost

3. Football.

4. Insane Greek life some kids crave

I was just looking at states represented for Bama. There’s over 2K from Georgia (close neighbor, makes sense) but over 1K from CA, FL (south florida not close), IL, TN (close) and Texas.

We all keep reading the same about these Southern schools - whether UGA, the South Carolina schools, Bama, Ole Miss, etc. I think if it’s affordable and it’s grand in stature, kids are like - why not.

Once they see other classmates doing it or from the year before, i think a wave just builds…if they did it, maybe I should too…

3 Likes