University of Georgia Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

@RockyPA Yes. They will recalculate. Effectively, all these admits are being based on the first 6-semesters, unless they had as HS freshmen a blank pass/fail semester in the spring of 2020 right at the heart of Covid; then, their admissions would be based on 5 out of 6 semesters. If they are deferred, then UGA will want updated transcripts with grades from the current semester.

They do want new transcripts but David Graves has said they do not re-calculate the UGA GPA for deferred students even when they submit new grades. Too time-consuming. They do use the grades in their evaluation but the UGA GPA initially calculated stays the same. That is part of the reason some students decide to apply regular decision, so their fall grades and rigor can be calculated in the UGA GPA.

3 Likes

@DramaMama2021 UGA has gotten enormously popular with smart kids from Texas, as the University of Texas at Austin has gotten nearly impossible due to a state law. You have to be in the Top 6% to get auto-admit at UT-Austin. That means itā€™s super difficult if you are in a competitive HS; however, you can easily get in if you are living in a border town where a large chunk of the Top 6% is based on attendance and not grades (in fact, some of those schools teach in Spanish, not English). Consequently, you have a large number of students that get into UT, but then they canā€™t make it once they get there. UGA seems more like a fair playing field ā€“ even if the bar is raised academically.

4 Likes

I was just accepted to Auburn. Like UGA, Iā€™ll get little to no merit, so it becomes a value propositionā€¦ Iā€™m leaning toward Alabama and Ole Miss thus far.

3 Likes

Auburn has merit as does UGA (half or full OOS tuition differentialā€¦I think the half is most common if you get any).

I think a kid knows up front that theyā€™ll get more at Bama and Ole Miss - as these are stated up front in their tables or estimators. Other schools are similar whether an Arizona or Murray State, Miss State, WVU, etc.

Obviously, cost means something different to every family - but if itā€™s a #1 priority, I would think youā€™d know up front that youā€™d choose a Bama or Ole Miss over an Auburn or UGA - and in some ways, there would have been little reason to apply to those other schools.

Congrats on your admissions to Bama and Ole Miss - both fine schools.

3 Likes

We have a friends daughter who was actually auto admitted to Texas in her major and decided to come to UGA. There are definitely a lot of Texas kids in Athens! It just seems so funny to me because my kid considered applying to Texas, and last I checked (2019) the OOS admit rate for Texas was 8 percent. Talk about a tough admit!!

3 Likes

My SEC football-loving brother-in-law thinks the increase in applications is directly tied to how the UGA Bulldogs perform on the field!! A National championship is a big draw!

3 Likes

I am up in the Northeast. Iā€™m the third kid (consecutive and overlapping) to go to college. The way my parents have done this is visiting area schools by type - UMass (big school, college town), Northeastern (big school, city campus), Babson (small school), etc. This helped me to decide what type of school I wanted to attend.

I decided on big school, college town. We then did a visit to Clemson which I loved. Then I applied to schools that met the type and location criteria I want. I have a spreadsheet that breaks down each school with about every stat you can imagine - cost with differentials, possible merit and scholarships, expected salary over the years, cost to value, an average of rankings and intangibles (Greek, sports, weekend activities). I give each school my own personal ranking. Once I receive all decisions, weā€™ll schedule campus visits to the top 5 over my Winter break and after final scholarship offers come in, Iā€™ll make my decision.

Itā€™ll come down to one or many of the criteria Iā€™ve defined. For what itā€™s worth, I watched my mother continue pay her undergrad college debt into her 40ā€™s. Not a start in life I want to have.

5 Likes

Likely a part - some of the NE schools back in the old big East basektball days of the 80ā€™s/90ā€™s acknowledged that - the Villanovas, Syracuse, Gtowns, Uconn, etc. Even Duke when they came back to prominence in the mid-80s.

Sports is the advertisement to all.

1 Like

I watched my mother continue pay her undergrad college debt into her 40ā€™s. Not a start in life I want to have.

Iā€™m a big fan of your process - and as I said - everyone values different metrics. So if cost isnā€™t the be all and end all, then itā€™s great. You will find out from UGA - we got the half OOS and I think it was 30 something thousand.

Depending on your stats, Arizona, WVU, and MIzzou might be of interest - if itā€™s a cost based decision.

As for the other things, I hope you find what you want.

If you get into Clemson, I hope they meet your cost needs. Ohio U might be another to look at in that sense - whereas the U of SC will be a different environment.

Auburn is nice - donā€™t discount it. But donā€™t discount Bama or Ole Miss either - if thatā€™s where you decide to go, theyā€™re both great schools. And you wonā€™t be alone.

If youā€™re interested to know, you can see by state how you fare at Bama. Iā€™m sure the other schools have a similar stat. Section F18 once you open. Bama, letā€™s be honest - due to overall cost - has a higher OOS rate than most.

Once you open that, then go to tab F18 - in the links. It wonā€™t like direct. But youā€™ll see 738 from NY, 407 from Mass, 648 from PA - the #s are quite healthy. Not sure your state.

So youā€™ll have a diverse mix from all over the country.

I wish you luck - and I appreciate your intense analysis - I am the same way. I have no doubt youā€™ll crush it wherever you go and thereafter.

Census Enrollment: Fall 2022 | OIRA (ua.edu)

1 Like

This is great! Thank you.

Iā€™m not discounting Auburn. Until I visit, any leanings I have are just perceived. I did not do formal prep for the SAT which shows in my scores and hurts merit at all schools, but I am wrapping up some pretty intense prep for the 12/3 exam. Hopefully itā€™s a game changer.

Iā€™m in Mass - one problem with the schools here is that they all require the Covid vaccine - not being political, but I havenā€™t gotten it and donā€™t intend toā€¦

Thanks again for the stat sheetsā€¦

4 Likes

is decision out yet??

Yes, for EA they came out at 4pm est today.

My son got accepted!! We are in state, 1240 SAT (superstore), 4.0 school gpa (not sure about UGA recalculated), great leadership, lots of extra curricular activities and state awards. Only 3 APs. We are in rural GA.

13 Likes

Hereā€™s hoping your score goes up and you get even more money from Bama and the others!!

Accepted in state with honors college auto admit!

Edited with stats:

GPA: 4.0 uw/4.37 UGA GPA
11 APs through senior year
ACT: 35 English, 34 Math (34 total but UGA only looks at English and Math)
Lots of ecs/leadership/volunteer hours etc

7 Likes

Congrats!!!

deferred :frowning:

1 Like

Bam!!! Auburnā€™s out :slight_smile: So now itā€™s UGA or Ga Tech? Nice options!!!

Accepted OOS!

6 Likes