University of Georgia Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Pretty impressive. Will those stats go down a lot after the RD admission cycle though?

You are correct. Historically thereā€™s been no difference between in-state and out-of-state admission stats. I believe the admission blog says for early admission this year there is also no meaningful difference in admitted students from in and OOS so there was no break out.

For years they have not considered residency as a factor in admission. Only in determining yield. However, last year for the first time ever I believe they dipped below 80% in-state students. My presumption is out of state yield was up significantly. Hence the new consideration for residency. It didnā€™t seem to be a real factor in EA, but maybe more so in RD.

I do recall David Graves, who writes the admissions blog, saying that although they use the composite score in the data that they release the scores they consider English/Math essentially track that as well.

2 Likes

The stats for EA admission and RD admission have gone up every year so my expectation is this year will be no different. If past years are predictive, they will go down a little for RD, but not a lot. You can look and see the data from year to year, but I believe last year average admitted UGA GPA was 4.16, average ACT was a 32, and average number of APs was 10.

1 Like

Whatā€™s your plan for reporting mid-year grades? The form closes on Jan 31st and our 2nd quarter ends on January 25th and the grade book will be closed and then the semester grade will be available the 2nd week of Feb. This is stressful!

No need to do that for us because he was accepted EA. I do know you can self-report them if deferred on the application portal. I would self report as soon as you can. First semester grades are not required but may help. If accepted EA they only need final grades if you enroll.

Did you get in?

Can I get some clarity on how UGA GPA calculated? Example 3 yrs foreign language taken, do they us all three years or just the two required? Would they use just specific years?

They tell you exactly how to do it on the UGA admissions blog. The blog and comments are very helpful and worth your time. In the most recent blog post with EA admitted students stats they link the UGA GPA calculation method. In your example they would use all years as it is a core class. Basic method is count core classes only, no weight added for DE or honors (just IB and AP). The comments to the blog post re how to calculate will answer any question you have about whether a class should be included.

3 Likes

Admitted - Honors/Engineering
OOS (North Carolina)
34 ACT
4.0 unweighted GPA
4.5 W (but not UGA. That includes .5 Honors)
Heavy Athletics (captain, club, ref)
Active church/missions trip
IB diploma

5 Likes

Congrats! My in state son was also admitted to honors for engineering :heart::black_heart:

3 Likes

for those admitted to honors- is that a big factor in deciding whether to attend UGA? or would you be happy going there even without the honors program? trying to decide how strong an option UGA is for our kid (who did not get intop Honors there). itā€™s not been a popular destination from our school so we donā€™t have anyone to really talk about it with, although her guidance counselor was happy she got in. her major, if it matters, will likely be in the poly sci arena.

Honestly itā€™s not a huge deciding factor for most. Your child still has two opportunities to get in by filling out the honors application due February 1 and by doing well her first semester and applying. A lot of very smart kids donā€™t even apply. The biggest temptation is priority registration, but for kids coming in with a fair number of hours registration doesnā€™t really seem to be a huge issue. The honors dorm is nice, but lots of honor students that are more ā€œsocialā€œ opt not to live there. There are requirements to stay in honors like taking a certain number of honors classes, which some decide is not worth it. As an aside, some of the honors classes are actually easier than the regular classes. I am thinking specifically of accounting which is a real weedout class. The honors section is much smaller, easier professor and easier tests. The only group of kids who I think honestly benefit from honors are business kids that want to do investment banking. Typically this was a non-starter from UGA, but the Corsair society has made it possible for some. It is limited to honors students. What is your daughters major?

It also may be appealing to people who do not want to go to a big school, and want to create a smaller cohort. Honors is a very small cohort, so there are lots of super smart kids not in honors. It is hardly the situation where all the smart kids are in honors.

Just saw that you addressed her major. Sorry for not reading closely! If she wants to be in it I would give it a shot in February and then next year if she comes but donā€™t worry if she doesnā€™t get in.

Thanks. Thatā€™s a very helpful reply and reinforces what I was thinking.

Strong in Poli sci, especially international relations. So a winner regardless.

My kid ā€¦with a 32 superscoreā€¦got in on the attempt afterwardā€¦same situation that yours is in (not auto admit).

So itā€™s worth the attempt. For sure.

1 Like

is your kid at UGA?

No - Iā€™m not sure why she applied. She ā€œlikedā€ it but ā€œlovedā€ Emory as an example. Much smaller campus. I thought UGA was too big but she was giddy they had an Urban Outfitters. She also had the supplemental essay done already from another school so it was an easy app.

She chose College of Charleston - which is vastly different and not nearly as heralded ranking wise but itā€™s been a wonderful fit for her - as sheā€™s in the highest level cohorts (Charleston Fellows and International Scholars). At a school like UGA that is loaded with top talent, sheā€™d have been a solid, one of many. At her school which seems less academically inclined but sheā€™s a lot taller than her 5ā€™2 height :slight_smile:

But UGA has a strong International Affairs/Relations majorā€¦it shows up on all the ā€œbest schoolā€ lists - along with the top LACs - so while Iā€™m not sure what a grad ends up doing with any of these type majors (Iā€™ll find out in 2.5 years), I know itā€™s well thought of in the areanā€¦for MPA too. Given the admission #s that they pose for the Honors students, I was ā€œshockedā€ she was accepted - whereas Florida State rejected for Honors and Pitt, she was WL for Honors and withdrew her acceptance once she went to Charleston. She got into supposedly the best - U of SC - which was her #2 choice but I donā€™t believe as strong in international politics.

My daughter applied to schools both big and small but I knew 18 months earlier when we visited Charleston it was the one although she pretended American(also accepted) was the top choice.

You hear nothing but great things about UGA. My company is HQ in Atlanta so I work with many grads - and many of the other people I know (we have many that sell our product in Atlanta) - also swear by the school. Of course, it doesnā€™t hurt that their kids get free tuition.

Itā€™s massive - but itā€™s super cool how they wedge the stadium into campus - well it was cool to me. My favorite part.

Good luck to your daughter - I hope she applies and gets in, but even if not, it may still be the right school for her (or may not). I know you applied widely and sheā€™ll have wonderful opportunities.

5 Likes

Merit scholarships have been released.

2 Likes

My daughter was accepted EA to UGA. (We are out of state). She got an email today saying she didnā€™t get a merit scholarship in this round :(. Do you know if they only look at academic stats for ths first round of scholarships?

I donā€™t know but I assume so. My DS was admitted to UGA Honors. He is OOS and was awarded the Classic Scholarship

2 Likes