University of Miami Class of 2024

My son a junior is very into Miami, I am interested in knowing what made this school stand out to your student. We are from the northeast and have not visited the school yet. I would like to hear what makes Miami a good fit for you student.
Thank you

@JAN1964 The weather is great, there seems to be a really good balance between academics and fun, and personally the 7 year medical program stood out.

@JAN1964 - This is why my son loves the school. The campus is beautiful. The weather is awesome year round (if you like heat and humidity). The cognates program gives flexibility. There is a large selection of majors from which to choose. During your junior year you can opt to do the 5 year combined BS/MS. Also, he has food allergies and the university is building an allergy friendly dining hall to open in 2020.

Seriously, one of the best schools in the country. We have had four of our kids go there and #5 applied ED.

My daughter applied ED; four of her siblings went to the U and she loves it there.

My son wanted to go to BC but went to Miami. His wife went to Miami, his cousin, two of his sisters, and now the youngest in the family has applied ED. One of my children went to Cornell, another to Vanderbilt, UPenn, BC and Michigan. Of all of the schools, as a parent, my favorite was Miami.

@NFLMom
What are your daughter stats if I may ask? I’m currently a junior and will be applying ED next year to Umiami

My daughter applied ED from Westchester NY. She has a 3.69 and 33 ACT. Is captain of the soccer team along with a bunch of other extracurriculars. What are her chances?

Miami is a great school and I loved it when I was there ('87-'91, “the Team of the 80s!”). I didn’t even know they had a football team until I arrived on campus but attending home games back then was a blast. I completed a double major in Biology and Marine Science with a minor in Chemistry so I didn’t get to spend too much time having fun but there were so many opportunities to do so if I had chosen to. The schools of Architecture, Music and Engineering were even more intense than mine in terms of student dedication and talent, and I’m sure there were many others that I just wasn’t exposed to. I haven’t been back on campus in decades since I’m out West, but I am taking S21 there for a spring break visit and hoping he falls in love with it too. I am excited to see all the changes, and I’m especially excited (and sad) that they’re going to be razing my old residence hall shortly to build a brand new residential village by the lake; it’s going to be an amazing experience for the kids who live there!

Thoughts on Friday December 13th for the ED notification date? Last year’s decision date was Friday December 14th 

How do they notify you email, letter?

@dlevine2020 you’re daughter already has her acceptance to the university. Trust me ED with those stats is a definite yes for sure. Hopefully you submitted all financial aid documents etc

Hi!

S applied Nov 30, still hasn’t received a invite to create a CaneLink account. Should he contact admissions or does it take awhile?

This is my son’s first choice school

When should we expect to hear anything
back from them?
So happy I found this forum!

@johnbob3 you’re son should start being alert for admission decision around the 13th December if he applied Early decision

When do they announce EA?

Early Decision I applicants will be notified in late December.
Early Action applicants will be notified in late January-early February.
Early Decision II applicants will be notified in mid-late February.
Regular Decision applicants will be notified in early April.

My son has the same stats. From Upstate NY, applied ED to Business. Fingers crossed for both of them!

@bluecap check your portal for the decision, it will be in there when they post them. They don’t give a specific date for notifications and 2 years ago they were late on posting the EA decisions, so you will have to keep watching for when the decisions are posted. You may receive an email letting you know the decision is posted in your canelink, but you may not receive this email either.

Thank you