University of Miami EA Class of 2025

just curious, has anyone received their fin aid package yet?

I have not

My daughter got 25k. That still leaves 50k. Anyone have thought in Miami and Intl Studies/Social Sciences.

Is my daughter the only one who has not heard a word from admissions? She keeps checking her portal, but nothing. We are expecting a rejection, but one can dream! And its hard to move on with decision making without all our answers. UGH

You might try a different browser.

why not call her AO?

All HPM decisions should be out I heard the only notify those who go in

Yea definitely call

you are not the only one. some folks didnā€™t hear yet, not really clear why - sounded like a technical issue. More decisions coming out this week

Just wanted to let everyone know that I called the office of admissions today and asked if I could join an already full admitted students tour (all of the tours for this week are full because of spring breakers). They said that when you arrive on campus ask the office of admissions if you can join the on-campus tour. They also said that if youā€™re doing a self guided tour you should book it on their website. :slight_smile:

Our EFC and Miami FA award was what we expected it to be. Still a lot though!

3 Likes

WL indicates decision by 6/15
Does anyone know of someone on WL that heard before 5/1? Or do they always wait until June?

1 Like

As I type this Iā€™m sitting outside of admissions office now. 80 degrees, 10 AM, sunny. My son (EA) is inside with my wife for the info session (sign up on line in advance). In the meantime Iā€™ve seen over a dozen families arrive without a confirmed appointment. They are directed to a map and self guided tour (thereā€™s a table outside the office building with a basket). Thereā€™s a website address posted as well directing students to sign up showing you were on campus taking the self-directed tour (so no absolute need to sign up before). Outside every building there are adults looking for students arriving to class. They look for a QR code on the studentsā€™ smart phones that they completed their symptom checker and in return they get a color coded wrist band. Thereā€™s a new color each day. You need these bands to enter the academic buildings. Visitors are not officially allowed inside academic buildings. I havenā€™t seen any visitors turned away from the bookstore. I hope this is helpful.

6 Likes

Could you clarify, during the outdoor tour portion, are the admitted students and their 2 guests at any time allowed inside the facilities (classrooms/dorms/buildings/gyms)?

No. They are serious on protecting the students, faculty and employees. After the tour, we were able to enter the bookstore, the food court (but not a dinning hall) and a set of bathrooms that had an outdoor entrance. The indoor session had a video of the freshman dorms but no photos of the gym, labs, or classrooms.

Thank you!

Have a ā€œparentā€ questions. All decisions are in for my son. He has some very nice acceptances. His top two he is considering of all are Northeastern & UMiami. We are very familiar with NEU as our D currently 3rd year and we live outside of Boston. We are huge fans - coops, academics, advising, abroad programs all have been amazing. However, we are trying to keep an open mind for Miami, yet know very little about Miami and never got a chance to visit during Covid. We are heading down for accepted student tour april 12th. As I am doing my due diligence and reading reviews i notice something that I am trying not to let it sway my judgement. There is this constant undertone in everything that it is ā€œwhere kids go to school to have funā€. I see very little in reviews about academics, internships, professors, advising etc. While I want my son to have a very whole college experience, I am not getting the sense that academics are a focus. I hope to learn more in the coming weeks but just putting this out there. I see lots about fun at night clubs, and fancy cars, and just not sure how a student who is there cant be swayed by that and how much of a distraction it will be. My Son will be Undecided. NEU has a structure Explore program for undecided students. Does Miami have anything like that for undecided kids, or special advisors for undecided? Need to make sure academics are serious. Im all for the sun and new dorms and the volleyball courts and even the pet crocodile. Some one convince me about the academics. Thank you!

1 Like

I think Miami is similar to Neastern in that - back in the day, they were just schools and now theyā€™ve gotten so much better.

Neastern - getting in - is near impossible. Miami - difficult - not as difficult. But difficult. So you are getting a quality student there for sure.

Iā€™m sure itā€™s like everywhere - what do the kids focus on? Yes, thereā€™s son and beautiful peopleā€¦so it will impact - but iā€™m sure the academics and student body as a whole are very serious.

At U Tampa, my daughter got on the accepted student chat and right away, said - itā€™s out - it was all about getting drunk and high, etcā€¦nothing about school. But I do believe Miami is legit and your concerns, while could happen anywhere, are likely overblown.

Definitely talk to random students though while you are there - and youā€™ll get a feel.

We are eliminating it - because at $50K (with $25K merit), itā€™s just too much in comparison to other schools.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Have a similar concern. My kid accepted Umiami with nice scholarship. Also accepted WASHU with scholarship (but 10k less/year than one from Umiami. so over 4 years WASHU would cost 40K more). We can pay for either - but are academics not enough of a focus at UMIAMI? We have been to the UMIAMI campus this past Dec & was so pleasantly surprised at it is BEAUTIFUL. Very modern with a lake and stream running through campus. Very green with many palm trees and a pool front and center. The fitness center looked amazing. Also very much self-contained and seemed itā€™s own little world/seemed very safe as you need to go through a security gate to enter. Are we being too swayed be the aesthetics? It does offer many unique majors and the honors/Foote fellows offer the ability to not have to take gen eds which is great & makes it easier to double major or have multiple minors. My student is also undecided & this is appealing. Can anyone give feedback on academics vs fun?

1 Like

Yes, you can use your prepaid plan. I called a few weeks ago and they give $116.66 per credit. If you have dorm, then $3366.24 per semester. Then the fees vary if you didnā€™t get in under the cutoff when they included every in thing in one cost-for local fees you get $154.06 per credit and Tuition diff $199.22