University of Michigan EA Class of 2025

You needed the link to get into the admissions portal to find the request for final transcript.

You got into your first choice! That’s awesome!!! Congratulations!!! Enjoy your excitement this week!!!
Then next week, think of the other students out there for whom UMich is their top choice and do the right thing— withdraw your app to let them have their “day in the sun.”

4 Likes

My son was accepted to Ross as a freshman admit in spring of 2016. That was the last class where they admitted for about 100 freshmen and 500 sophomores. I believe the pre-admit program had been around for at least 4-5 years before that as we had a family friend admitted in 2012 (I believe.) As of the high school class of 2017, the program was completely changed and they planned for approximately 500 students to begin as freshmen and only 100 as sophomores. Also the difficult restrictions and qualifications that were necessary during freshmen year were also removed. Prior to that about 20% of the freshmen admits didn’t make it and were forced to remain in their original admitted school.

My son is a freshman this year, and he had a lot of fun this semester as well. I believe his positive experience was primarily due to two factors. The first is that he already knew a lot of incoming freshman prior to attending. He loves the kids and has already made a lot of new friends.
The second is that he also knew some upperclassmen who are members of fraternities. That helped him during rush, and he is now pledging one of those fraternities. While he could not experience football at the Big House, you can’t miss something you’ve never known. And, maybe that was for the best, given how dreadful the football team was this year.

I got the impression that those incoming freshmen who did not know many other students prior to attending were at significant disadvantage this semester. In fact, if you followed the UofM board on Reddit this fall, you would have regularly read posts from freshmen (and others) pouring their hearts out regarding their loneliness and their inability to meet people. It definitely tugged at my heart strings and made me feel blessed about my son’s experience.

My son’s positive experience was both facilitated and hindered by the UMich administration’s approach to Covid. It was facilitated because the administration chose to take a fairly laissez-fare attitude towards Covid. My son already had the virus during the summer, and as a result, I was not worried about him becoming infected at school.

While UMich did implement some rules and “voluntary” testing, they really did not do all that much to enforce those rules. They chose an “education” over “enforcement” strategy. In my experience, adults don’t even follow laws, rules or regulations without the threat of enforcement. The administration’s belief that 18 to 22 years would follows Covid-related rules, with relatively toothless enforcement and a Covid mortality rate (for their age group) of about 0.001%, is laughable. By the time the administration and the town came to the realization that off campus parties and greek life were major contributing factors to the spread of Covid in and around campus (as opposed to in-person classes or those living in dorms), it was too late, and the damage had been done. Yes, even though my son benefited from this strategy, I would have preferred that they had taken a harder line from the beginning. If they had, the administration might not have then overcompensated for their poorly conceived initial strategy.

In the second week of November, the administration overreacted by summarily cancelling all housing contracts for the second semester leaving freshmen (and others) very little time to find off-campus housing in Ann Arbor; a housing market that typically requires students to lock in leases 8 or 9 months in advance. The only reason my son had a good experience this semester was because he was in Ann Arbor. Staying home for the second semester was not an option. After a lot of stress and expense, he was able to lease a house with some of his pledge brothers.

The UMich administration’s handling of Covid clearly did not embody the University’s “Leaders and Best” mantra. It was pretty pathetic. Sorry for the rant, but I’ve been waiting to get this off of my chest for a while. I will try to end on a positive note. Hopefully, all of the negative experiences during 2020-21 academic year will fade into oblivion once the majority of the country is vaccinated. And, if the AD sees fit to make some big changes, maybe my son will be watching winning football in the Big House next fall. Hope springs eternal.

2 Likes

Hi! Has anyone on this thread applied to Stamps Art and Design? Do admissions come out on same dates as lsa or a different schedule?

1 Like

Hi! I’ve heard that the acceptance rate for in state students is higher for umich, is that true? And if so what’s the acceptance rate?

I’m really nervous because umich is my dream school, I’m from Michigan and applied EA, but my stats are basically their exact averages- 1430 SAT and 3.9 UW (4.5 W). I have a lot of extracurriculars and I think my essays were pretty good- and I’m also Arab idk if that helps with their diversity stats? Just super nervous!!

Yes, instate applicants have a significant advantage over OOS applicants.

According to the 2019-2020 CDS, the overall acceptance rate was 23%. That’s roughly the acceptance rate of the prior couple years. I haven’t seen the 2019-2020 instate/OOS breakdown, but in the prior couple years, with roughly the same overall acceptance rate of 23%, the instate acceptance rate was 41% and the OOS acceptance rate was 19%.

1 Like

Thank you! I also had another question I don’t know if you’ll have the answer but do they like to take a certain amount of people from a high school? Like is there a cap?

I also heard a rumor at my school that if they take a lot of people from a class (at my school) one year that the next year they take way less, is there any truth to that?

No…

Our local public school here in CA is amazingly consistent with number of applications, acceptances and enrolled, according to Naviance.

You should speak with your college counselor at school and ask about the UMich stats, if you don’t have Naviance or similar.

@BeefStew2

This is a board for discussing applications, testing, time frames, student perspectives, differences in schools ect. In depth Covid comparisons are really irrelevant as next year we will mostly be out of this pandemic. Boards are different school to school, many schools kept a tight rein on information and parent boards. Dartmouth only recently revealed 86 students were kicked out when they broke their super strict guidelines and obviously schools like Georgetown, USC, Brown ect didn’t even let kids return. It will all be a mute point in the fall.

Good luck to all the seniors applying! I think after a junior & senior year of canceled tests, classes, sports, activities you all deserve a great start to college and with the vaccine rolling out it looks like that’s what you will get!

1 Like

2022soon
Fair enough. There is a whole other thread devoted to discussing UMich’s covid strategy. I only realized that after posting my tome on this board. I reposted most of my message on that other board. If the Mods want to remove my post from this board, I definitely would not take issue with it.

Best wishes and good luck to all UMich 2025 EA applicants.

I don’t think it’s irrelevant at all. It’s good to see how school admin handle issues.

@umichluver

My student was worried about that too because our school rarely got kids in UMich, but those same kids got in tip top schools. He really used a lot of the advice on this board, took an incredible amount of time on his essays and getting to know the school and showed lots of interest and he got into a very tough program at UMich. Not early though. Good luck!!

Since UM normally releases it’s first batch of EA in December this was a non-issue for my other kids, but this time since they aren’t releasing until the end of January, should we automatically have our student’s first semester grades sent to them if they’re posted before they receive their decision? If deferred in Jan, are there other grade reports at a later time that should be sent?

1 Like

In past years, UMich released all EA decisions simultaneously before Xmas eve. The annoying partial releases would begin with RD decisions around 2/1. I assume they’ll release all EA decisions simultaneously again this year. “When” is the big question.

I don’t believe they’ll need or want senior year grades for the EA decision. I’d bet they’ve done all of their work or pretty close to it.

If you did send them, they obviously would have to “marry” them with your kid’s file and I’d guess it’s very late in the process. While they may have extended the deadline, I assume a great majority of the apps were there prior to the original deadline. And processed normally as any year.

In past years, deferred applicants would receive at least two versions of the deferral announcement. One would request 1st semester grades, one would say “don’t send us anything else. We’re good. “

Call admissions and ask. When D21 has questions, that’s what we’ve been doing. Not at UMich. Her list doesn’t include UMich. Yet. :slight_smile:

If they want it they will send you a letter stating so. Usually when deferred. There is not much to do now but wait till they release the EA… As a note my son’s school is one of the top schools in our state. They automatically send senior scores to all schools. It’s just their policy plus keeps the kids working hard senior year… Which your child should be doing anyway to get ready for college. If not sure have your child email their admissions officer.

do you think there’s any chance of the decision coming out this week?

Sure, I think there’s a chance, though not probable. But I may be alone on that one.

I called admissions last week and posted on here that they said later January. You can call and see if they say something different.