University of Michigan EA Class of 2025

Accepted to LSA OOS (the weird thing is I applied for RD not EA, but I’ll take it!!
1480 SAT
3.7 UW (strong upward)
10 APs

2 Likes

Looking at everyone else’s stats here, I am really surprised I got accepted and makes me worry that it was a mistake. I’ll throw you guys a curveball.

Applied to LSA
4.00 GPA (No AP Classes at my HS)
1350 SAT
No ECs
Strong Essays
5 Dual Enrollment

5 Likes

Son accepted OOS CoE
35 ACT
4.87 W/ 4.2 UW
9 APs
Soccer, NHS president, volunteer

2 Likes

Son ACCEPTED LSA with pre-admission to School of Information Sciences
OOS
GPA 3.9 SAT 800 Math 690 ERW
Excellent essays
Hispanic
Varsity 4 year athlete - Captain 12th
Excellent EC
Lost of Community Service

2 Likes

D got in - so excited!

OOS - Texas
4.0 UW
31 ACT
Strong ECs and Essays
Double legacy

2 Likes

Postponed / Deferred
College of Engineering
Male, While, Class of 2025
Catholic High School of 2,000 students
Out of State (Illinois)
3.9 GPA (based on Michigan’s admissions formula)
1530 SAT (800 Math, 730)
AP Phy C, Calc BC, Stats, CompSci
Univ of Illinois Engineering Camp
Captain of Swim Team and Water Polo Team
Other ECS, Essays likely helpful (better than posted examples on internet :))
Both parents UM alums of college of engineering (one undergrad, one grad)

Comments:

1. Students and parents disappointed, as many other deferrals are
  2. Question value of EA deferrals on Jan 29 vs school making a definite yes/no decision when no new information will be provided by students (Reminder to UM Admissions that chem and physics Nobel prizes not awarded until first Tues & Wed of October)
2 Likes

thanks, was just curious if the timing of the email meant anything. He’s since home and checked…deferred COE

Deferred Instate
1420 SAT (710 math, 710 R&W)
3.84 UW, 4.01 W (1st semester Senior grades made that 3.85 UW and 4.1 W)
Good Extracurriculars (MUN, Mock Trial, Stud Gov, Stud Advisory Board, etc.)
Applied COE

I somewhat expected a deferral, seems to be pretty common at my school, and those that got deferred that I am familiar with did get into UMich in the end. Still hopeful!

1 Like

You are evaluated based on what’s available at your school. Congrats!

2 Likes

Any Legacy? Just curious. Most of the acceptances that we’ve seen had a family member attend.

Not a legacy and was admitted to LSA

same, we waiting for close to a month for the actual packet to show up in the mail

My OOS daughter was accepted in CoE, not a legacy

1 Like

Postponed
LSA
OOS
3.39 UW | 4.15 W
Full IB
Top 20% of my class of 560
Strong ECs and Essays

Good advice, my son was deferred, deferred, and waitlisted last year and at each step in the process wrote another LOCI to make sure they knew he was still interested. It paid off. He is an engineering freshman this year. But, also good advice to wait a few days/a week so you can really think about what to write and you don’t write something too hasty. Waiting a few days/a week will not make you seem less interested, but will keep you from writing something too emotional today. I can hardly believe that both my twins got in today after what my son went through last year. I was so sure at least one of them would have been deferred this year.

7 Likes

Postponed
CoE
OOS
3.82 UW | 4.63 W
1500 SAT

I understand the disappointment. My husband is an engineering alum. It happened to my son last year. My son was deferred, deferred, then waitlisted. Didn’t get in until April! He is now a freshman in the college of engineering. My guess is your son will get in. I don’t know if it is true but they say a lot of higher stat kids are deferred because Michigan is trying to protect their yield for kids who might get better offers (not many better than Michigan for engineering though). I suggest that he send in a LOCI, but wait a couple of days to make sure emotions are settled down. The continued waiting sucks, but I would be shocked if your son doesn’t get in in the next couple of rounds.

2 Likes

whaaaat didn’t know that can be possible… RD accepted could be the luckiest thing this year, congratulations! And i’m deferred btw. i’m an international student in a us public school. GPA 3.94/4, SAT 1460, 4 yr varsity tennis. just realize college app can be so extremely stressful this year…

Yes, class of 2025.

Bs: H Biology and Anatomy & Physiology II (DE)
As: H Chem, Anatomy & Physiology I (DE) and H Physics

Science-wise, this year she’s taking H Adv Chem (fall) and Cell & Molecular Bio (DE) (spring)

Her school specializes in the medical sciences, and has a set curriculum that includes only a small handful of courses that could be considered “engineering-related.” And her school is all about DE with Rutgers, only offering one AP course - Calc. Her career path changed from pre-vet to engineering in her junior year, and then COVID happened. The courses on her transcript, and her resume, don’t line up with what you would expect to see from a UM COE applicant. I’m thinking their hesitancy is in the lack of foundational courses, and hoping that her mid-year grades for H Adv Chem (96) and AP Calc AB (95) will be enough…

I got in to LSA! I’m an international student.

2 Likes