University of Michigan EA Class of 2025

I got in!! I didn’t even submit a SAT or ACT test :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My son was accepted to LSA (Neuroscience)
OOS
UW GPA: 3.92 W GPA: 4.63
10 APs/6 Honors
SAT: 1520
Research Internship which showed significant demonstrated interest in his field
Excellent essays (his Why essay also demonstrated his interest and in-depth knowledge of what UM offers including the type of research he wants to do, his community essay was really unique and showed his character and what he would contribute to UM very clearly (so I think essays matter a lot)
Very strong LOR (teachers, counselor and choir director)
Stellar Extra-curricular activities with significant leadership
International/national/regional awards/recognition in Singing

Congrats to all who are accepted and to those deferred, stay positive and take advantage of the opportunity to respond thoughtfully with LOCI.

2 Likes

great resilience and effort to get into his dream school. These traits will help him throughout life

Son was accepted (posted above); just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this board, especially knowsstuff and sushiritto, for the insights and info. It was very helpful and helped keep things in perspective. I’ve been stalking the thread daily for a good solid month now :slight_smile:

To the deferred students, it sounds like there is still a good chance you will get accepted in a subsequent wave; don’t get discouraged or give up hope. As others have said, wherever you end up, what you put into it will determine your success and you all sound like very motivated students. Best of luck to all!

10 Likes

Congrats to your son. It’s a great school and sure he will enjoy his experience.

1 Like

OOS student (VA)

• Admitted to COE
  • Stats: 1590 SAT, GPA: 3.9/4.4; 8 APs, several post-APs. CS courses for 3+ years at magnet high school. Leadership ECs.
4 Likes

OOS accepted 33ACT, lots of ECs

Hope more get great news !!

1 Like

Definitely do the LOCI. Someone told us a long time ago, optional is never optional. My son was deferred twice and waitlisted and he’s a freshman in COE, but don’t rush it. I would take a breath and think about what you really want to say. I told my son NOT to submit LOCI on the day he was deferred. You need a minute to process everything.

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

thank you, yes he 100% will be doing it even though it says optional. Unfortunately submitting his first semester grades won’t help him, they’re pretty much on par with his current gpa so not like he did super amazing…virtual school has not been the best for him.

I have not received any email and when I check my enrollment connect there is no decision to be found. I have checked every possible place. The page that comes up when I open my portal says “This application is currently being updated. Please check back later.” It has said this all day. I’m so confused. Is anyone else dealing with this?

It’s not a mistake. You are evaluated in the context of your high school. Sounds like you are the top student at your school or very near the top. You didn’t have all the opportunities that some others have, so Michigan saw your potential when given the opportunity.

1 Like

Another deferral this week for my OOS son.

Stats: 4.0/4.6 gpa, ACT 36, NMSF, lots of AP classes, strong ECs, leadership, essays, rêcs, etc.

Was happy to get into Maryland Honors with double major right after Michigan news.

I don’t think that is necessarily bad. Obviously, his grades are good enough to be in consideration for Michigan, so continuing that is not a bad thing. What is his major? Where are you? In-state? OOS? Send me a DM if you don’t want to keep this on the boards. I feel like after going through this with 3 kids in 2 years, I have a good understanding of things. I am happy to share what I think worked for my kiddos or what I think might work for yours. I know how stressful this is.

Congratulations on Maryland! That’s great. Idk if this is your 1st kid applying to college, but last year, I don’t think I even knew what a deferral was until my kid got a deferral from Illinois, then Michigan. Guess what? He ended up getting accepted into both schools! And with lower stats than your son, so, take a deep breath, and I would be SHOCKED if your son does not get accepted in the next round. It completely sucks, especially if you do not really realize that deferral is a possibility. The extra waiting is excruciating, but soon you will be like me, your son will be in his 2nd semester of college and you will not believe it has been a year since that 1st or 2nd deferral. In fact, given his stats, he might get a much better offer somewhere in the coming month. Hang in there!

1 Like

Definitely not bad news, just more waiting. So many kids with similar or higher stats got deferred too. This is my second kid applying to college, and we are more pragmatic and resilient this time I think! I know he had singing auditions, but also applied for Poli Sci probably. OOS, so we’re not naive about the chances. I appreciate your empathy :).

1 Like

i feel like so many people got deferred (including myself) and it just sucks. i feel for them but i also wish we had answers as to why or how they evaluated us differently since i know people who had lower stats than me get in. but seriously congrats if u did get in!!

5 Likes

Yield protection

1 Like

My son was accepted to LSA.

OOS
34 ACT (took once)
4.33 Weighted GPA, very rigorous classes
Student body President, drama, sports
A few academic awards, strong community service and major related internship.

1 Like