4.03 GPA W
3.85 UW
10 AP Classes
Social Justice Non-profit org Founder
AI Intern 2020
VP NHS
Plenty of International, National and State Awards and Recognition

4 Likes

Don’t feel that way!! I just got into UMich, but I looked at your profile and saw you applied to Northeastern and I also got deferred from there, as well as Colorado College and those were both targets for me whereas UMich was a far reach and I got rejected from my dream school (UChicago) and rejected from UNC. I think this whole process is ridiculous this year and a lot of schools care about yield and there are so many applicants etc etc. It can be super demoralizing to get deferred and denied but I think the biggest ting to think about is this is just one pool. There’s still RD and anything can happen and I’m sure you’ll end up in a place you’ll love! And if not, there’s always transfer.

1 Like

It’s supposed to be within the next week or two

I got into UMichigan EA for OOS LSA! I’m just waiting on Ross preferred admission now.

Stats:
SAT: 1580
ACT: 35
GPA: 4.37/4.0
Multiple Research + Internship opportunities
Multiple state + national + international awards
Multiple state + national + international leadership for extracurriculars (Math Team, MUN, FBLA, Biden campaign, etc.)
Recommendation from world-renowned UChicago economist
13 AP exams (12 5s and 1 4)
Econ organization founder + econ podcast + econ book published + econ app

1 Like

anyone know when they would release decisions for ea deferrals

Accepted!
International applicant (Mexico)

Test Optional (all my test dates got cancelled)
3.64 weighted GPA (but my school does it differently, this is the equivalent to a 97 on a 100 point scale)
Great common app essay
Pretty bad supplements (good ideas but I did them in a hurry and didn’t edit them)
Good extracurriculars
Great recommendation letters

4 Likes

I posted this yesterday regarding the RD waves.

[quote]In the past, yes, RD has been released in waves on or about 2/1, 3/1 and 4/1. But this year decisions have been pushed back. As I said above, if I were a betting man, then I’d probably use the Ross BBA dates as my guide for the RD waves:

Feb. 19, 2021

Mar. 19, 2021

April 16, 2021
[/quote]

2 Likes

Hi, I applied Preferred Admit to Ross. I EA’d to LSA but turned in my Ross Application in December, missing the priority deadline. Do you think I have any chance of receiving my decision from Ross on Feb 19 or will that pretty much just be for those who EA’d to Ross in time?

Deferred OOS CoE, Comp Sci

SAT: 1490 (1520 SS)
GPA: 3.88UW 4.3W

In the past, UMich has accepted roughly 7,500-8,000 EA apps. This year we believe UMich received 46,000+ EA apps. During the pandemic last year, UMich accepted 16,000-17,000 total apps. In 2019-2020, pre-pandemic, UMich accepted about 15,000 total apps. So, about 1/2 of the Class is accepted EA.

So, now the “postponed” apps of about 38,000 (46,000-8,000 accepted) will be evaluated with the post-11/16 (11/16 was EA deadline) RD apps. How many RD apps will there be? In past few years, there’s been about 20,000 RD apps, but with the extension of the EA deadline, does that scavenge the post-11/16 RD apps? Dunno.

The overall admissions rate, in the past, for LSA has been mid-to-low 20’s (%). CoE has been mid-to-high teens (%). A couple years ago, there were about 1,300-1,400 spots in the freshman CoE class. LSA had about 4,300-4,400 freshman spots.

3 Likes

Hey guys, I know there was some talk about it earlier, but I wanted some clarification. I got deferred and on my portal it says, “We have decided to postpone making a decision on your application at this time and your application will be moved into our regular decision pool for consideration. Your high school counselor should submit any new fall-term grades that are available on your behalf through the Common Application/Coalition Application.” Is this good or bad that they want senior grades? Any input is appreciated! I’m OOS btw.

1 Like

Mine says the same thing! Really hoping it’s a good thing

1 Like

This is slightly different, but I know that if you’re accepted to LSA you can fill out an application through Wolverine Access to be considered for their merit scholarships. The other schools probably have something similar.

Question, if the additional form that was posted as an option to write a 250 word continued interest essay is due by Feb 20th is it even possible that a wave for postponements would come out before that? Wouldn’t they need time to review those additional statements from students?

I completely agree with you on the essays. Everyone has great grades and AP classes and extra curriculars. So we made our daughters, my oldest daughter who is a Junior at Michigan and my youngest who got accepted yesterday, focus on standing out in their essays. Proud mom here! I made my daughters really show who they were in their essays and what makes them special or tick. We got opinions from others so that we didn’t fool ourselves that the essays were better than they actually were. In addition, being very deliberate about who writes your teacher recommendation is key.

Current accepted daughter stats:
3.9 GPA/ No SAT or ACT score
8 AP classes/6 Honors classes
4 year Varsity Volleyball/ 7 years Club Volleyball
spent every summer in High school attending pre-college programs focused on her interest in business.
Not a ton of additional extra curricular but 3 that she did throughout all of high school.
The teacher that did her recommendation has been her teacher all 4 years and really knows her well and adores her.
Her essays, I think were better than my oldest.

4 Likes

Hey Guys,
I was wondering if anyone knows if we’re allowed to do self guided tours at UMich.

you’re allowed on campus! but you need to wear a mask even outside. most buildings are not open to the public though

Ok thank you! Also, do you know if they’ll resume walking tours?

Hi there! Accepted OOS student to LSA!!

gpa: 3.99/4.0
act: 33
class rigor: 6 aps, 9 honors, 8 college courses (dual enrollment), 1 CIS (college in school)
Indian, first generation, middle class ($85k)
good public school in Minneapolis suburbs

extra curriculars:
highschool and club volleyball
sunrise movement - senior year
2 part time jobs - beginning junior year
language classes - 7th to 11th grade
volunteer work - all 4 years
french club leader - 2 years
tutor for underclassmen - 2 years
monthly sandwich drive for low-income neighborhoods - senior year
varsity tennis photographer - 1 year

honors:
national commended student - 11th grade
Minnesota bilingual literacy seal in Tamil - 11th grade
honor student - all years

Initially, I was very discouraged by my lack of extracurriculars and honors but I put a lot of work into my essays!!

5 Likes

Yes. For EA they do not need your fall grades. However, UMich deferred you, meaning that you are now in a RD pool. This means that they may ask/require that you submit your fall semester grades as all other RD applicants. This is not necessarily a bad thing. This is a normal thing most colleges do. If your fall grades are stellar, this may even help you. (and vice versa if they are extremely bad this will be a disadvantage)

4 Likes