University of Michigan EA Class of 2025

i have

1 Like

I don’t think I horribly agree with you but if what you said is true, that’s a huge mind-changing for me. I’m graduate school going (med or bio research) and I’ve taken almost all APs in math and sciences, hoping to use my AP credits to first save money second get into higher level courses sooner. That was my plan until I read your post. Would you like to refer me to some resources where you find these info: 1. which courses med schools want to see students taking in college, e.g. Calc 2? 2. which AP courses they don’t want to see?

Top ranked medical schools want to see applicants taking at least the sciences in college and not claim AP credit for them. It’s not to say one wouldn’t get into medical school without those, but it’s pretty well common knowledge if you want to be a competitive applicant ad some of these top schools then you will want to take them. Something like an AP English course isn’t a prereq for medical school so they wouldn’t care about that. Something like AP Bio is a different story. But to reiterate, that wouldn’t preclude you from all medical schools, but could hurt you at more competitive ones.

You can search all of the internet to get the answers, but here’s just one random article I just found about it. There are a ton of them. Can I Use AP Credit for Medical School? | ProspectiveDoctor

@Knowsstuff is the Entrepreneur minor the innovate blue program? Is it hard to get classes?

@maybecollege1 yes my D did, paid the $300 was her 1st choice. She only applied to 5 schools three of which were safety schools

2 Likes

https://ent-minor.umich.edu/

Most seem to do this as a sophomore /junior. He did all the classes back to back as a senior. He just met with a minor advisor (advisor for everything), and signed up for classes. Most classes are actually small like less then 30 students. This ties directly with Industrial engineering and is actually a lot of fun. His job offer actually liked he had this and sustainability as minors since it fit their business vision.

It’s also bragging rights that his major and minors are all in the top 5 ranking wise… He had great business experience with Barger Leadership Institute | U-M LSA He did freshman summer year through sophomore year.

He got $5,000 grant from Optimize and a $10,000 grant through Barger. The Founder of Jet Blue airlines runs Barger with a lead from BP oil company and others and they were present when he did the capstone with them. They had a graduate student that specialized in start ups as a mentor. Optimize was like pitching your idea like Shark Tank. Both gave them invaluable support.

This is what they built as freshman… Check out the conference April 10th. Second virtual one. First was live.

1 Like

Lol… Yes it’s the same thing just different links… :rofl: To get there. Lol…

Just to finish. The school of information had graduate students become part of my son’s club and actually developed AR courses with them. Then the university created a 3 million dollar AR /VR initiative that is being implemented university wide and brought him in to help.

So, this is how it is done at Michigan. Maybe just luck but they all work together. Professors and Alumni approached them to help and get involved.

There are hundreds of these types of experiences here. This is just one.

Thanks a ton!! This is eye-opening. Although really really sucks. I’ve got ap bio, chem, calculus, and physics in hopes of saving money and time in college. That’s pretty much all I thought as a naive, poor kid taking on plenty of student loan for college. Completely cross off med school on my list now. It’s an expensive game. Not for people like me.

1 Like

My husband went to an affordable college & then funded medical school himself through student loans. Many, many people just like you make it happen every year. Just be smart early - don’t break the bank on undergrad - find scholarships, work study, or a more affordable option before you give up on your dream occupation.

1 Like

Sit down with an advisor and discuss. I came from public aid and food stamps and put myself through college. Yes, $100,000 loans 33 years ago. Paid it off with some of the equity of our home. If you want it, then make it happen… Not saying it will be easy…

3 Likes

This is very motivating to hear.

2 Likes

@wiscokat @Knowsstuff wow these are so inspiring! Thanks so much for sharing. Being a surgeon was all I dreamed about growing up and people know me have been telling me that’s what I should do. But things are not always planned out. In 2016 my mum sold her house in China and used the money to pay her Master’s so I could come here educated in the US (in public school). She’s now 3rd year in her PhD we have used up all her savings and now living on her very limited graduate student employee salary. The reason why I took all the aps I can in high school simply is I want to save money and graduate in 3+ years. I decide to take as more loans as I can for a good college and after that, see which graduate school funds me more, more likely a research institution rather than med school - all things considered now. I cannot put myself on job market with a bachelor degree b/c compared to master’s and doctoral, bachelors get lower salary and much less likely obtain a visa to work in the US. There’re simply much less doors open for certain people, I learned this first day I came to the US. I couldn’t register for mainstream courses b/c I was an English learner. I was pulled out and educated in an isolated classroom, reading children books. I opted out of the program the second year and had been pushing myself really hard since then. I’m now graduating high school with ten APs and I don’t know how I made to here. But I’m still not good enough. My chance to realize my dream is really, really slim right now.

Your APs are not a waste. They’ve made you a more competitive applicant. And you are good enough. Find a way to do what you want. I couldn’t afford a 4 year university so I joined the military to get the GI Bill. I’m not suggesting you do that but where there’s a will there’s a way. And the journey is always more impressive for those who have to claw their way to the top.

2 Likes

You can also do medical residency programs in underserved areas or join the national guard programs if you’re eligible (not sure based on your background) and they pay off your debt.

You have to really want it though and be willing to work for it but don’t take the high debt in undergrad to do it. Wait until medical school. My ex had 250k of med school loans only and while like @Knowsstuff I am probably aging myself a little too, this was only in 1996 when he graduated and then they were deferred for 5 more years during residency.

What you said is so wise! I haven’t had that mindset before. Looking back, I do really appreciate my mum made that bold decision bring us to the US. The tough journey in the past years made me who I am today, one that can tell himself keep going no matter what.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. I actually heard that from my doctor last year. This is sort of nerd: I like to talk to adults and listen to their stories. That day I spent like one hour in his office talking about tennis, video games, and his journey becoming a doctor. He took on a residency program in Mexico to pay off his loan but finally gave up his surgeon career b/c of a girl (I was shocked tbh haha and went in my mind, why the heck you do this). Anyways, I’ll definitely keep an eye on these opportunities. Wow, cc is an amazing place with you and all these other amazing people!!

1 Like

anyone have thoughts on LSA honors vs. NYU Gallatin? I don’t really know what major I want to do, but probably something in STEM/business.

UCLA really showed how good they were tonight. I am no longer as disappointed that UM lost to UCLA, because the Bruins were on fire the entire tournament.

If Michigan had played Gonzaga, we would have been destroyed without Livers. Juzang! and Tyger shot lights out and executed their offense much better than Michigan would have, and they still lost on that miracle Suggs shot.

1 Like

That was a great game. Classic. D18 and I were texting the entire game.

There’s a part of me that thinks Wagner, Smith, Dickinson, Brooks and company could have given the Zags a run for their money with their defense. KenPom has them as one of the top defensive teams. Just needed someone to have made a shot in those last 11 seconds.