University of Michigan EA Class of 2025

Great game, UCLA easily could’ve been the ones playing on Monday instead of zags.

And UCLA lost on bank shot from essentially straight away. Ask Suggs if he called “bank.” :man_facepalming:

We could have 3 returning seniors also. Will be interesting to see who wants a free masters from Michigan.

1 Like

How long does it usually take after acceptance for the financial aid package to come ?

There are some programs (I know in Mississippi) that pays for your medical education if you give an assurance that you will work in Mississippi for 6 years or 8 years, not sure the number of years. You have come this far, don’t give up your dreams.

2 Likes

Think Indian reservations also

Oh, I didn’t know about this.

Thanks for the info! I exhausted this option some time ago. From what I heard, all student loan forgiveness programs only pay for federal student loan (but internationals are only eligible for private loans) so I have zero chance with those programs since I don’t have a green card or citizenship. In fact, many med schools do not accept internationals at all. Being an American is lucky. It really is. The passport you possessed when you were born costs a lifetime’s efforts of a person like me. American dream is real. But a med school American dream is just too far fetched.

Really appreciate all of you amazing people sharing with me what you know and trying to help. I cannot say how much I feel supported and inspired these days from this cc thread.

2 Likes

I had it & was rejected

I assume they tell the kids about these programs at orientation. Everything looks amazing. So excited for her!

I read some of your posts and want to take a moment to chat with you. There is absolute advantage to be born with certain passports as they come with more resources, but hey, it is also wonderful to have dreams. There are ways to obtain citizenship through study, work and other paths, but it is more difficult to plant seeds of dreams in hearts. Seems like your mom is a very determined and dedicated woman which makes her a nice role model for you, and I am sure you can work together to figure it out, sooner or later. Become a doctor is very rewarding, spiritually and financially. You are young, talented, focused with a dream. Don’t give up! Wish you luck!

4 Likes

Not really. They will expect you to research this but definitely ask questions and they can steer you in the right directions. They have placement centers etc for that. They will ask their advisor or even a professor and they might tell you where to get that information. Honestly, just ask and someone will be able to help. At Michigan, they honestly want your kid to succeed. It is very family orientated. Remember you are representing the college also so they want everyone very successful so you can brag to the next batch of kids :rofl:

2 Likes

it took them about 2 weeks to determine the estimated package, and another week to get the final package. that being said, each school within U-M can/will offer students various scholarships at different times. We’re still waiting on STAMPS to kick in some $$ (fingers crossed)

1 Like

I really appreciate your words, these are sooo motivating. I will protect my dream and never give up. And yes, I think my mum is probably very special, she always goes like (literally last week), ‘still want to be a surgeon? aim for it, who knows what will happen in the future. I’m living in a dream I never dared to dream 20 years ago.’

1 Like

Hey guys, so real quick question. I’ve gotten almost every decision except for Brown and UPenn, which has a 0 percent chance of happening ;). Right now, I’m between UMD and UMich, but I don’t know which. I also got waitlisted at Syracuse for Newhouse, so that would be in the mix if I got in in the next few weeks. Though I know UMich is better academically and Alumni wise, it is still very cold there and farther away, (the only school that would be a plane ride). Any thoughts?

You should make a list of pros/cons, whether cost is a factor, which has the better program fro what you want, etc. If Syracuse is something you’re interested in then weather at Michigan should be a non-starter as it is no worse than Syracuse.

1 Like

@NatGiam083 this is only my experience. I graduated from UMD and my husband from UMich.

I absolutely loved College Park, loved being close to DC, I worked on Capitol Hill, albeit a different environment back then. I liked that UMD offered both a college town but close proximity to DC.

Then my husband loved Ann Arbor, went to the final four in New Orleans. Definitely the alumni network is much better. Better reputation overall. Great academics.

We encouraged D to attend UMich today bc it’s what she wanted.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight! I’m definitely leaning closer to UMich, but UMD is also amazing, beautiful, and close to both Baltimore and D.C.

Ugh! My heart breaks for him. I’m so sorry. I hope he finds something to get excited about in one of his other choices. He may even end up loving it somewhere else, but I know how that doesn’t really help right now and no one wants to hear that after a major disappointment. He sounds like an awesome young man, and I hope he finds happiness somewhere else and/ or gets to Michigan as soon as possible. Good Luck!

@NatGiam083 good choice!