University of Michigan EA Class of 2025

Assuming it was a zero sum game, then not necessarily, because the same amount of apps (Deferred EA plus RD apps) would be evaluated in the RD pool, assuming 8,000 are accepted in EA similar to prior years.

2 Likes

Good luck! But seriously this suspense is killing.

I feel so bad for all the students waiting for decisions. My daughter is a high stats kids with several good options, but this is the dream school. My son is a freshman and loves the school which adds pressure. Tonight was full of anxiety for her at thought of being denied.

1 Like

Does UMich practice yield protection?

I wouldn’t hope so considering they’re ranked just outside the top 20 on U.S. News. I think yield protection is practiced by schools selective applicants would consider safeties/low-matches. I don’t think anyone has Michigan as either of those things lol.

1 Like

Makes sense yes! Thank you

1 Like

See my post earlier in the thread. They yield protected against at least a dozen kids in my son’s high school class. They eventually let him in. Too late. He went to Stanford!

3 Likes

Yeah wow I just saw your post. It’s interesting why Michigan would feel the need to defer your son/other qualified applicants considering the type of school it is. They don’t offer early decision and (to my knowledge) have the pick of the litter with 40,000+ EA applicants (will hit 50+,000 this year it seems just from EA alone). My only knowledge of yield protection was with a safety state school which notoriously defers/rejects overqualified applicants. Dunno why Michigan would feel the need to do considering how good of a school it is.

1 Like

if it comes out tomorrow, it will most likely be 3 PM EST right?

1 Like

Yeah lol but you guys would probably check every second. I am following @Knowsstuff advice and just waiting for this chat to go crazy

lmao facts, that’s how I found out unc was out

And that’s good but I’m afraid of getting too worked up and excited over decision dates that when they do come out, I might just be bummed with a deferral. Waiting until April does not sound like something I can do.

3 Likes

I’m curious If other potential students and parents have taken into consideration The University of Michigan’s current state as it relates to Covid rules, freshmen housing, in person classes, socializing etc. when it comes to ultimately deciding if another school in another state would offer a better lifestyle next year if we are in a similar or slightly better situation. From what I hear there have been many students that had to remain home, stay virtual? and the students that are on campus have many strict rules in the dorms, sorority houses etc. Other universities in different states seem to have more choices and better lifestyle this year. If Michigan was always your “dream school” are you reconsidering at this point based on the way the University is handing this year’s difficult situation? No indoor dining, too cold to eat outside, no sporting events et. What are people’s thoughts and realistic hopes for next year?
See article below…

1 Like

@stressed2study Yes. In normal years (when they have EA in Dec) they tend to defer a lot of top top kids. This year, with ED already out for the top schools, who the heck knows what they’re doing.

1 Like

@WSJC2C5 Yes, this is always on my mind. They did a crap job, as did UT where my daughter goes, but thankfully she’s a sophomore. We had to deal with that sh*t show last year in her dorm which since it was private decided to stay open and not issue refunds until threats of suing etc. No place is perfect. You just need to find the right place for your kid. Hopefully by then the vaccine will be available and effective for our kids and everyone.

1 Like

Almost here
:+1::sunglasses:

Just some back story. This was due to one student with the new variant. A student athlete that “didn’t” wear a mask. Out of precaution and others getting it they shut down all sports like the current 4 rated Men’s Basketball, top 10 hockey, #2 wrestling and think top 10 women’s basketball teams. Also there was some community spread (the school is in Ann Arbor) so this was their course of action.

Schools that are open were closed. It seems some small privates are doing better. Many students didn’t go home BTW, they rented apartments in the city. Students still want to be on campus even if that means staying put… Hope things will be better in the fall. There are slight signs of a national drop in cases like 35%(just read that), as more people get vaccinated though the spring, summer, things should be that much improved. It’s a hard decision with all schools and if the state or area believes in Mask wearing etc. I would be leary of some schools or areas that are fighting to not wear masks etc if it was my child.

2 Likes

Yes I agree. With students in two different states and universities- did you find that one had a better quality of life ? For example was being in a warmer state a more positive healthy experience for your child?

1 Like

Yes hopefully the vaccines will be available for all students so things could drastically improve

@WSJC2C5 Well my other daughter is in NY at Cornell (not UM) where they did a phenomenal job with Covid and this semester they’ve ramped it up even more as they’re going to be testing athletes, those living in sororities (her), frats, coops, and other community living arrangements, 3x/week instead of 2x. They did an excellent job with everything had in person and remote classes and hybrid. UT my daughter had all remote and again this semester. Difference was she could more easily go outside to restaurants and on her own she went and got tested regularly, but there were no requirements and tons of cases and it’s already all over again. Both had great semesters but admittedly I worry a lot less about the one in NY than the one at UT.

6 Likes