University of Wisconsin, Madison EA Class of 2025

I graduated from UW many years ago, but a favorite Italian restaurant is Paison’s. They used to be located on campus but now are located near the capital. I still crave their meatball parmesan sandwich.

2 Likes

Did your daughter find anything out about the mysterious direct-admit waitlist? My son sent an email about midyear grades that has yet to be responded to - which doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies about the administration.

Once they have idea about campus and capitol area, they can google the summer and fall pictures and discover lots of fun and events like farmers market, concert on the square, football weekends etc

Does the university send packets in the mail to admitted students? We haven’t seen anything yet.

My daughter was admitted in December (in state). We received a small booklet in the mail in late January (I think) - Admitted Student Checklist Fall 2021..

We just received an Admitted Student Checklist booklet today

1 Like

No, she hasn’t contacted them about that email yet — she’s been crazy busy, but I’m going to ask her to self-report her grades today as the mysterious email requests. Maybe she can get a chance to call this week and ask them if it means a biz school direct entry wait list.

UW-M seems a little disorganized but that hasn’t dulled my D’s interest at all.

Please post an update if your son receives a response to his email from the admin. It would be nice to have some clear communication from them.

We were in Madison yesterday to look around campus and it was actually quite beautiful after the snow ended. I liked the campus more than I thought I would and my daughter did as well (although all campus buildings are closed to visitors). 11 below zero when we left this morning was a bit of a shock, but at least my car started. My one recommendation to anyone visiting the campus is to avoid the Graduate Hotel. Between a bad thermostat (keeping the room around 80 degrees) and really loud neighbors, it was not a great experience.

2 Likes

It’s been a few years since our UW students graduated, but we generally stayed at the Lowell Center which is operated by UW. Lowell is about half way up Langdon and one block from State Street, with comfortable rooms overlooking the Lake, and we never had an issue with noise. Over on the other side of campus, the Wisconsin Union Hotel at Union South is very nice, with the advantage of having Babcock’s ice cream right there! Though we never stayed there, Fluno Center – another UW-run hotel – is also very central. I don’t know whether these facilities are open during the pandemic, but for families thinking about trips in the future, they are worth checking out!

1 Like

Yeah, I made him do the updates this weekend. I am a tad concerned about the administration there having seen all of their gaffes on this thread, and that he may become lost and frustrated taking care of admin if this is how they operate. Every other admissions office he has contacted has gotten back to us within 24 hrs (even at similar sized state universities) and those individuals have been very responsive.
He seems to still be undeterred in holding Wisconsin in high regard (sight unseen) on his list. I have tried to steer him towards reconsidering couple of private schools where there are typically more resources for students and generally are better run, but he keeps leaning into the big state schools. I guess we will have to see what happens when he gets answers from the handful from which we still await decisions.

1 Like

Very similar situation here. D applied sight unseen and was unruffled by the Admissions’ gaffes. My D is all about the big schools for football, basketball, and a vibrant student life — but also wants a school with an excellent academic reputation. Wisconsin certainly checks those boxes. Only one or two from her school have attended in recent years but she thinks that’s a positive.

She is also waiting to hear from three other (big) schools before we decide whether to take a trip up there to take it all in.

1 Like

Exactly his wish list! He is attracted equally by UW-M’s reputation in both fun and academics.

1 Like

Parent of a UW alum who is several years out – he had an extraordinary academic experience as a double major in humanities/social science and honors program. The faculty were world class researchers and through Honors sections/seminars, he developed close relationships with several faculty mentors who wrote for him in his law school applications. He had a great time, loved Madison, and had great internships working in politics. I’d encourage families frustrated with admissions this year to keep an open mind, as the administration at the college and departmental level was always professional and responsive.

1 Like

Your son’s experience sounds awesome, just what prospective parents like to hear. I’m really enjoying reading about campus visits and current/former students’ experiences. It’s all very helpful.

Wisconsin is one of the few OOS schools for which we’d seriously entertain paying full price. D was really excited that they accepted her EA. Open mind and a possible open checkbook here!

2 Likes

My son isn’t as ruffled as we are over the gaffes. But I’ll be honest it’s given us pause to if we want to pay that OOS price tag for a place who can’t even proofread a letter before they send it to tens of thousands of deferrals. I mean that’s not a minor mistake. He got three different letters with three different dates on them and it was close to 24 hours before they sent an email correcting their mistake

How did you get early admit to UC Berkeley? The UC schools don’t offer ED or EA

Regents and a few other groups come out early for the UCs!

UCLA and Berkeley have both announced/invited apps for Regents.

From what I’ve been told, even that it’s not a guarantee of admission.

The Regents invitations at Berkeley come with admissions decisions. It’s not the same for other UC’s though.

@RichardMZhlubb My daughter and husband walked around after the snow yesterday as well. And this morning they agreed was brutal cold. Overall she loved to school!

2 Likes