US News - 94% acceptance

<p>I saw that ASU as a 94% acceptance in USNews ranking. Does that sound correct??</p>

<p>Wrong school section, but yes, that's pretty close to the acceptance rate.</p>

<p>yes, it sounds correct. their application is ridiculous.</p>

<p>Yeah, I've never met someone who didn't get into ASU (within reason, of course).</p>

<p>whoops, sorry for posting on the wrong school - is U of A pretty much the same?</p>

<p>Not as high of a percentage. Its around 80%. You actually have to write an essay for U of A unlike ASU.</p>

<p>May be right, I'll most likely be applying to one of the universities ( ASU, UA) if not UC-Boulder.... sorta like safety reasons ( though they are all respected universities).</p>

<p>yea ua is 80% but they said because of budget cuts they will probably lower this acceptance rate. however, that probably wont make a significant difference</p>

<p>Another interesting statistic: only half of the freshman that walk in walk out with a degree in hand. It ain’t a walk in the park (unless you’re a liberal arts major ;)</p>

<p>To be fair, ASU has a mandate to accept basically every and any arizona student who demonstrates that they want to go to college.</p>

<p>Does Arizona have a generous scholarship program like Georgia and Florida?</p>

<p>In Florida the state universities went from 90% acceptance rates in the early 80’s to UF being highly selective due to students staying within the state to take advantage of the Bright Futures scholarships.</p>

<p>Just curious if Arizona has something similar.</p>

<p>They have more in-state scholarships than out of state, but even my out of state was a generous $10000 per year (which was the maximum at the time). Now, the max is $15000. There’s also department scholarships and some honors scholarships as well but the department ones are meant more for upper classmen. I believe the total tuition cost OOS is somewhere around $17000 now, so the Tier I scholarship would cover a huge chunk of it.</p>

<p>Even the less than stellar out of state kids still usually can get a minimum of $2000 per year. What’s really nice, however, is that you only need to maintain a 3.0 GPA to keep the scholarships. Texas, on the other hand, offered me like $20000 per year but required a 3.8.</p>

<p>My other scholarship experience was UCSD offering me $2000 a year, which is pretty crappy since the school charges $30000 for OOS. So relative to my experience, I thought they weren’t being stingy but I came in with high SAT scores and GPA.</p>

<p>I had 3.5 GPA with honors courses and 1240 SAT (reading + math) and I didn’t get a scholarship. You will get college paid for however if your family makes under $50k.</p>

<p>That’s unfortunate cjones. I think it’s a result now of increased enrollment and decreased budget both caused by the recession. I’ll be interested in hearing freshman talking around campus about their aid.</p>