***USC Class of 2021 Discussion/Results Thread***

@Scholar526 Oh my gosh, congratulations on your acceptance! Your SAT score is actually exactly what I had scored, and now you have given me a huge sense of hope :smiley: thank you! (I know this is a late reply, I was scrolling through previous posts haha)

Good luck @boymom16 see ya tomorrow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzN3yJXlWrg

So if we didnā€™t get a letter today, and we live in the Los Angeles area we most likely didnā€™t get accepted?

USC should stop trying to be so cute with mailing acceptances and rejections. It pains 45K+ more people than the $8K it surprises. I donā€™t think admissions has learned.

http://campusbasement.com/usc/admissions/articles/8386/usc-fills-big-envelopes-with-rejection-letters-for-april-fools-no-one-laughs

First I love USC as an alum and having kids attend, so no bitter pill hanging around at all. But the admissions notification, it never sat well with me, even when kids got in. If they want to be humane about it - send them all overnight - one day Fed Ex throughout the country - and update portal later the same day. Everyone should have got their package or rejection letter today. Sure that is insanely expensive, but if they canā€™t afford that, then scrap the mail notification altogether. There is an arrogance to this process that I just donā€™t care for.

The winners are big winners - those that get accepted - and that is all they care about, letā€™s be real about that, and I understand it is a business to them. But it is a shame they are insensitive to the ones that donā€™t get admittedā€¦there are likely thousands in socal still wondering their status because perhaps the mailman just missed them today with the package. That is unnecessary angst. About one in 8 is happy. 7 in 8 are miserable.

I bet if they polled admits and non-admits they would get overwhelming response that neither group actually likes this system. Tradition has itā€™s place, but they have Traveler, fight on signs, and football games for all that. Itā€™s 2017 USC, time to move on from this antiquated admission system.

As someone who got in today there was certainly something magical about the moment I laid eyes on the package, but I donā€™t know if it outweighs the agony beforehand lol. They should narrow the window between mailing and portal posting.

To everyone who has not gotten a packet yet! do not give up hope! be patient! the admissions office said sometimes packets get lost in the mail, sent out wrong, and mis placed! please I know everyone who has been eager to find out if they have been accepted! i am sending postive vibes to everyone. dont give and fight on! :wink:

Yes @sheepishly i got mine today! it was waiting when i got home. i got home around 4pm

@lucia48 dont think negivite just yet! some take time or get lost in the mail! stay positive

@katelynxxc Congratulations!! :slight_smile:

Thank you,@blueskies2day, for taking a firm stance - this process is arcane and needlessly cruel!

My son cracked me up saying that the USC decision results is like watching a plague spread throughout the countryā€¦ He was getting texts/insta from friends up in LA, slowly spreading south to parts of OCā€¦tomorrow it will spread to SD & NorCal, Phx, etc., moving like a contagionā€¦ lol

@socal411 Iā€™m sure my cousin would be happy to talk to you. Private message me with your contact info & Iā€™ll have him get in touch.

when do portals update? sunday 12am? (so like, staying up at saturday until 12 am to check is good??)

Gotta know when to check my rejection since i didnā€™t get a package, haha.

ACCEPTED

Date applied: November 15, 2016

Date decision postmarked/received: March 24, 2017

Which school/major at USC: Marshall School of Business

Scholarships: n/a

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 1330
ACT (breakdown): 28 C
SAT II (place score in parentheses): n/a
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.75; weighted 4.4
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): top 25%
AP (place score in parentheses): English Lang (3)
IB (place score in parentheses): n/a
Senior Year Course Load: AP Lit, AP Econ, AP Gov, AP Calc, AP Physics, AP Computer Science Principles, Football
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Honor Roll throughout high school, NHS, CSF, Scholar-Athlete awards at school and county levels, county character award, team MVP awards and 1st team all league honors, other athletic awards (I did not apply with the intention to pursue college athletics at USC)

]Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parentheses): 5 years solid community service and leadership with local chapter of National service organization; 3 year Varsity Football player, CIF-SS Champion, Team Captain, leadership in school service clubs; assistance with youth athletics;
Job/Work Experience:n/a
Volunteer/Community Service: see above
Summer Activities: Georgetown Summer program; football practice
Essays (rating 1-10, details):: 9 - authentic and clear explanation of my academic and career goals and how I learned from my extra curriculars and apply to my daily life
Teacher Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):: 2 from teachers outstanding
Counselor Rec (rating 1-10, details):: strong but likely not very personal as I attend a very large school
Additional Rec (rating 1-10, details):: n/a
Interview: n/a

Other
Applied for Financial Aid? yes
State (if domestic applicant): CA
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: large public
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Income Bracket:
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): parents attended USC and sister attends now
Reflection
Strengths: essays, dedication to my extra curriculars
Weaknesses: test score
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: I think I did well telling what my goals were as a student and what my career goals were; I showed long term dedication to my activities and excelled at them at a high level while maintaining consistent dedication to my studies
Where else you are applying or have already applied: applied & accepted: USC, Indiana University, UW, Purdue, Chapman, SMU, Case Western, TCU, Portland State, WSU, CSUF, SDSU, Butler, DePaul, Ohio State; Applied and rejected: Washington University in St. Louis, Cal Poly SLO
General Comments/Advice/Hindsight: My advice is to be you; Follow your passion and do well; You donā€™t have to be perfect, but be dedicated; Be authentic; I really wanted to attend USC and I am grateful that it worked out. I applied to many schools because I didnā€™t know clearly where I fit. Iā€™m glad I did it. The process helped me see what I really wanted and where I fit.

@apasianboii yes Sun at 12am (very late Sat night) ā€¦ thatā€™s pacific time. If youā€™re east coast, itā€™ll be at 3am Sunday.

@Steglitz90 I donā€™t think UCLA caps number of students per school. Last year 7 people got in from our school. We are a relatively small high school in Canada as well.

does anyone have an idea when we will get our decision letters ? (Europe)

I got accepted today but my portal hasnā€™t changed yet. is this normal?

@filmstudent2 I got in today as well. has your portal changed at all? mine still says No new messages when I click on admission status.