***USC Class of 2021 Discussion/Results Thread***

My son received an email at 5.30am (east coast) saying he was not considered for the top awards (Mork, Stamps, Presidential, and Trustee) but his application for admission is still being considered. RD decision will be mailed out by end of March so he should have it by Apr 1. The email also said he will still be considered for other awards listed on their scholarship site.

My son is NMSF so the email also mentioned that if my son is selected as National Merit Finalist and select USC as his first-choice institution, and admitted during RD, he would get the Presidential Scholarship.

Good luck to everyone waiting for the RD and congratulations to everyone who got accepted!!!

PS. My son has not check his portal so not sure if he got this message online.

NMSF
SAT 2280 (Old Math 800, Reading 700, CR 780)
SAT II (Math 2: 800, Physics 710)
ACT 35 (Math and Science 36)
11 APs by end of senior (6 APs so far all 5s) AP scholar with distinction
ECs normal and a couple of leaderships

I’m from PA and still no update in the portal at all, and haven’t received any mail. Might get it later I suppose, but the portal staying the same is kinda freaking me out tbh :frowning:

I got deferred. I have been admitted to UChi through EA, so it’s a bit disappointing to me. Anyway, USC seems to give their scholarship to international students not so frequently.

Updated. Deferred.

The wait til march continues. Got the update. I don’t think SCA applicants get scholarship as much a scholarship other applicants.

@OrthodoxParadox deferred. feeling xtremley sad. it’s the way of this life

@NayaTheVA That is correct. Scholarships are allotted by Schools and majors generally & correlate well to total applications/admissions formulas for each School, so a School like SCA that accepts few to start with gives out a proportionately smaller amount of scholarship offerings. Only 1200 out of 32K got such an offering this week, and SCA probably accounted for less than 20 of those in total.

But 30,800 applicants are being carried over to March… so you are hardly alone in this. My daughter, a fellow SCA applicant, is right there with you…

Good Luck

Deferred…

Got same email 15 mins back.

posting for D:

**Decision: Accepted **

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown):
ACT (breakdown): 36 (36E, 36R, 35M, 35S)
SAT II: 800 Lit, 740 Math 2, 730 Bio (not sent)
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.92/4.0
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): n/a
AP (place score in parenthesis): School does not offer
IB (place score in parenthesis): School does not offer
Senior Year Course Load: General high school classes plus @ UPenn Math 104 (covers all of AP Calc BC but taught in 1 semester) got an A, Math 114 (MV/Diff Calc)
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): NMSF, NHRP

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Social Science research involving undocumented immigrants and presented at an International Conference in November
Job/Work Experience: tutoring
Volunteer/Community service: not much
Summer Activities: research, neuroscience academy @ UPenn
Essays (rating 1-10, details): highlighted my differences including the specialized curriculum at my high school
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): only saw the one from English teacher and based on what MIT says they like to see in a recommendation would say it’s a great recommendation

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
Intended Major: Neuroscience
State (if domestic applicant): PA
School Type: Public/project-based curriculum
Ethnicity: Latina
Income Bracket: middle-class
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM

Reflection

Strengths: test scores
Weaknesses: lack of APs/IBs
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: Test scores/URM/highlighted how I would fit into a class with essays/short answers
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: UPitt accepted. Princeton deferred

General Comments : Eligible for Tuition Exchange + NMF Presidential = Full Tuition + about 8K a year. So USC is a very viable option.

Still waiting

**Decision: Accepted **

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 720 Math, 780 Writing, 680 Reading (not sent)
ACT (breakdown): 34 Composite
SAT II: not sent
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.94
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): n/a
AP (place score in parenthesis): Macro/Micro Econ: 4 on both, US History: 4, AP Language: 5
IB (place score in parenthesis): n/a
Senior Year Course Load: AP Environmental Science, AP Literature, AP Spanish, AB Calc BC, AP Stat, Photojournalism
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): AP Scholar with Honor

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Track and Field/Cross country varsity, (Student Government), (Habitat for Humanity club president), (Yearbook editor-in-chief)
Job/Work Experience: Ice cream shop
Volunteer/Community service: Veterans of foreign war foundation volunteer
Summer Activities: Summer program at Fordham, running, working
Essays (rating 1-10, details): General Common App essay: 8
Supplements: 7
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):

Teacher Rec #1: Math teacher/coach: 10
Teacher Rec #2: English teacher/yearbook adviser: 9
Counselor Rec: 9
Additional Rec: none
Interview: none

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
Intended Major: Journalism
State (if domestic applicant): NJ
Country (if international applicant): n/a
School Type: Public HS
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket: 100K-150K annual
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): none that I can think of

Reflection

Strengths: Test score, grades, recommendations, showed a lot of interest for school.
Weaknesses: Essays and supplements.
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: Good academics and I showed that I really wanted to go there.
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Accepted to Bama, deferred from UChicago, waiting for all others (7 of them).

General Comments : So glad I got in, my top choice!!!

Just got an email, and the subject is “information about scholarship process”, im scared to open this thing:/

In the email it said that “1,200 students who will proceed to the next phase of consideration for our top awards: the Mork Family, Stamps, Trustee, and Presidential scholarships”.
Does this mean some students will still be considered for Deans in March/April?

Deffered

Glad I went to sleep. Still nothing in the portal.

Got the deferred letter… And the wait continues for another 2 months

My daughter did not get a white box but she got this email last night:
Dear Rikki,

Thank you for applying to the USC Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young Academy for Arts, Technology and the Business of Innovation. I am pleased to inform you that you have been selected to interview with the Academy admission review committee. Interviews will take place on the USC campus, Friday through Monday, February 17 through 20, 2017. To progress further in the selection process, an interview is mandatory. While the in-person interview is strongly recommended, if these dates present a significant conflict and you are unable to travel, we can arrange for an interview via Skype. However, if you would like to be considered for an Academy merit scholarship, it is strongly recommended that you interview in person.

Please visit usciovineandyoungacademy2.fullslate.com to RSVP and reserve your in-person interview time. If you are requesting a Skype interview, you must contact me directly at jvernon@usc.edu. Once all the in-person interviews are scheduled, you will be contacted to schedule your Skype interview. These will most likely take place on Monday, February 20. Note that the deadline to schedule your interview is Monday, February 6 (however, interviews are scheduled on a first come first served basis).

During the above dates, we will host several optional events to introduce you to the Academy leadership, faculty, students and staff. We will also offer tours of the USC campus and the Garage, the Academy’s classroom and collaborative creation space. Please see the attached schedule of these events you and your family may wish to attend over the weekend. While these events are optional, registration is required. We ask that you limit attendance to yourself and 2 family members. Please register by Tuesday, February 14 at: https://iyainterviewweekend2017.eventbrite.com/.

For those flying to Los Angeles for the interview, we are happy to reimburse a portion of the applicant’s airfare. We can cover up to $60 for travel originating within CA, NV, and AZ, and up to $200 for all other domestic flights. Unfortunately, we cannot reimburse for international travel. More information about reimbursement will be provided once you have RSVP’d for your interview. Taxi fare from LAX airport is approximately $50, Uber/Lyft rates may be lower. There are several hotels located near campus that offer a USC discounted rate. If you would like to book a room at one of these hotels, see the attached document for reservation details.

Also attached is a map of the USC Campus. Buildings where events will be held are circled, as well as the most convenient parking garage. If parking, please mention you are with the “USC Iovine and Young Academy Interview Weekend” as there is limited space available in the garage. Parking is $12 per day.
Please note that every potential Academy student that is interviewed is eligible for the USC merit scholarships, which include the full-tuition Trustee scholarships, the half-tuition Presidential Scholarships, and the one-quarter tuition Deans Scholarships. These scholarships will be awarded upon admission with decisions finalized by early April.

Anyone else apply to the academy? And If she does not get into the academy when will she find out about her second choice, Dornsife?

Deferred. The wait continues!

@OrthodoxParadox Don’t sweat a C in physics. I got accepted in this round despite a C in calculus for an engineering major.
And to clarify, I got that C as a junior, so it was smack dab in the middle of my transcript during the whole admissions process.