UVA EA / ED Fall 2023

VT publishes more data than just about any school! VT engineering grad rate is similar to UVA’s around 85%. https://udc.vt.edu/irdata/data/students/retention_graduation/rg_chart#college

Thanks @user282. I was in that area the other day and must not have clicked on right section.

@user282 got a chance to look at this and it appears that the VT 6 year grad rate is about 86%, but the 4 year is in the 60’s and that’s what I was impressed with from UVA where it is 84%.

2 Likes

Thank you Ajrivers.
I didn’t get my education in this country, therefore I didn’t realize graduating in 4 years is a challenge. In my opinion, if they get the right support / tutoring there is no reason to go over 4 years. Actually, I’m sure every school offers support, however the accessibility of it is the key and this is what holds me back with UF.

Unfortunately, we cannot attend 04/01 event.
Would you please write a summary of it for the ones who cannot attend ?

2 Likes

I think that was an anomaly for class starting in 2016 which would have included covid years. Change the year range to go back to 2013 and the 4 and 5 year rates are higher

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Best Schools for Undergraduate Aerospace Engineering

Support is so so- sister was in engineering and ended u switching out to different major. Was rough program and not supportive. UvA just really pushes for students to graduate in 4 years and pretty much students are made fun of if they stay longer than 4 years to get their degree. So don’t see much switching of majors - lots of pressure to just graduate in 4 years.

1 Like

Hello, I just watched your Instagram from 2021 on how to read a transcript. At the end of the IB sample transcript you noted that the student took a programming class, not a science class.

My rising senior was going to take an AP programming class over an AP science class. He’s had chemistry, physics and AP bio. He’s interested in data science / business analytics as an area of study.

Is it better for him to take a science class? He was thinking computer programming was a science class.

1 Like

DD applied ED…her 1st quarter grades were great…do we upload those to the portal? I think the answer is no it’s too late for ED but just want to confirm.

Yes. Upload via the portal. Dean J makes is very clear in her info sessions that is what should be done and even a screenshot is acceptable. In our case, our school sends it automatically.

So for ED I can screenshot her 1st quarter grades and upload them?

Yes. If they have read her app it wont make a difference but I expect they will be reading for a couple more weeks, so you never know.

2 Likes

Our school sends them too, but via the Common App. Do you think student should also upload via admissions portal?

We didn’t. It doesn’t seem necessary. Dean J is quite vocal about sticking to the strictly necessary because they don’t have the bandwidth to deal with extras. If they do it through the Common App, I believe you can see if it was submitted and/or downloaded. Unfortunately our school does not use Common App. I can see when it was sent but not if it was accessed by the school. It seems like several schools don’t list this on their checklist - we can only verify 1 of 5, a little unnerving. If anyone is having the same experience, Id love to know in which portals you see it and where you don’t.