UW Business School

<p>I just recently found something about Madison that really bothers me..I just found out that only about 20 students are admitted into Grainger as a freshman. I thought that it is similar to Illinois's program where about 900 students get in each year, which is still pretty selective. I know that about 50-60% of students get into Grainger as sophomores, but how easy is it to get in? UW Madison has always been my number one choice, and I don't want my college choice to be affected by this. I believe that I would be able to get in as a sophomore because I am very hardworking, but the last thing I want to do is transfer if I don't get in.</p>

<p>Considering I get into U of I's Business School as a freshman, would it be a bad idea to apply as a sophomore to Grainger? Advice?</p>

<p>Thanks a bunch!</p>

<p>It really should have no bearing on your choice. If you can achieve around a 3.5 freshmen year, join a few clubs and write a few short essays. U of I and UW have comparable business schools. I would base your decision on what school fits you best or has the better department you are looking at. Even if you do not get in after freshmen year you are allowed to re-apply after sophomore year. The classes you would have to focus on freshmen year would be intro econ, calc 1, comm a requirement, and intro psych.</p>

<p>Okay thanks a bunch! If I am currently enrolled in AP Calc, and AP Macro in high school, would that be able to transfer? Or should I retake those classes as a freshman?</p>

<p>Your calc should transfer as long as you get a 3 I think maybe a 4 on the ap test. Econ 101 is micro so your macro won’t apply to that but the business school requires 102(macro) once you are admitted so I would recommend transferring it in because it will get you out of an additional class.</p>

<p>You can check the UW website for AP test scores that get you credits at UW- a 3 may get you general credit but a higher score gets you credit for a specific UW course in meeting requirements- such as “social science” credit instead of “Econ 101” credit. The first helps someone meet breadth reqs only. Many students who can get UW credit for AP calculus will start over with it since the UW courses are more rigorous and a passing score on the AP exam may not be sufficient background for doing well in second semester calculus at UW (the Honors sequence is sufficiently different that students can get AP calc credits and UW credits for 275- helps in number of credits for advancing class standing).</p>

<p>Link to admission statistics for Wisconsin School of Business:</p>

<p>[Admissions</a> Quick Facts](<a href=“http://bus.wisc.edu/bba/admissions/quick-facts]Admissions”>http://bus.wisc.edu/bba/admissions/quick-facts)</p>